Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Seth Gross

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Justin Sell gave him a second chance. Has Gross simply not taken to the new coaching staff?
    we will just need to see where it shakes out...regarding the current staff, hard to say but there is nothing there to say they are nothing but a class act all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
      we will just need to see where it shakes out...regarding the current staff, hard to say but there is nothing there to say they are nothing but a class act all the way around.
      Agreed!

Comment

After the season is over. Usually fairly soon after. Personally, I’m a little irritated over the whole deal. Not only did SDSU give Gross a second chance (when nobody else would) but he took a full year of scholly money this year probably knowing this was going to be his exit strategy. We’ll never know the whole story on his health and I’m sure he does have back issues that could be helped with surgery but I got the sense he was looking for an out fairly early in the season and electing to sit out and then have surgery was his best chance of getting the med red and putting himself in position to do a grad transfer. Love what he did for the program but don’t think much of the exit. Honestly, if the NCAA denies him a medical (which they probably won’t) it won’t break my heart. That being said, I’ll still cheer for him at the senior level when he competes to make a World Team.

Comment

He has done great things with garnering interest from younger wrestlers and inspiring those to see they can succeed. I wish him well wherever he goes, and will cheer him on in the next level.

Comment

He may wrestle collegiately next year at a different program and I will cheer him on for another championship. You will never be able to remove this image nor his Jackrabbit legacy.

Comment

One other thing on second chances. It was Bono and his staff that led the charge on his second chance. Sell and our institution gave the approval.

Comment

Originally posted by Figure Four View Post
                After the season is over. Usually fairly soon after. Personally, I’m a little irritated over the whole deal. Not only did SDSU give Gross a second chance (when nobody else would) but he took a full year of scholly money this year probably knowing this was going to be his exit strategy. We’ll never know the whole story on his health and I’m sure he does have back issues that could be helped with surgery but I got the sense he was looking for an out fairly early in the season and electing to sit out and then have surgery was his best chance of getting the med red and putting himself in position to do a grad transfer. Love what he did for the program but don’t think much of the exit. Honestly, if the NCAA denies him a medical (which they probably won’t) it won’t break my heart. That being said, I’ll still cheer for him at the senior level when he competes to make a World Team.
                Gross is the wrestling version of Brandon Key. It's all about him. Becoming all too common.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  Personally I would hope we let him go wherever he wants to go even if that is Wisconsin. He will be just as gone no matter where he goes. Deny him any school just out of spite? I don't see any upside to that for us.
                  The bitterness with Wisconsin is Bono taking Connor Brown with him and possibly sniping Seth which really hurts the program. Add in that SDSU provided him a Second Chance, Program to excel at & Paperwork on Medical Reshirt it would be tough to swallow to see him leave to Wisconsin instead of continuing his legacy here in Brookings and help build a future contender. Even though it was Bono that brought Seth in, Justin Sell and his staff had to approve it and have probably put in a bit of time themselves to get his transfer to go through.

Comment

Tonia Wade, in WBB did the same thing but never gave us one minute or ever wore the uniform in a game. Seth at least gave us time and effort, as well as our first National Champion for the Jackrabbits, thanks to him for that and good luck to him whatever he decides to do.

Comment

I never liked him personally. I hate when people characterize their mistakes as being part of a higher power's plan, so that rubbed me the wrong way, but that's a personal thing for me.

Let him go wherever he wants. Don't think it makes sense to try and spite someone on the way out.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                        One other thing on second chances. It was Bono and his staff that led the charge on his second chance. Sell and our institution gave the approval.
                        Thats an accurate statement but there were plenty of coaches that were willing to put Gross on their roster. The AD’s were the ones stopping it in most cases. I give Sell far more credit than Bono for that part. Eggum and others were willing to give “Seth a second chance” and got shut down by their AD’s.

Comment

Thats an accurate statement but there were plenty of coaches that were willing to put Gross on their roster. The AD’s were the ones stopping it in most cases. I give Sell far more credit than Bono for that part. Eggum and others were willing to give “Seth a second chance” and got shut down by their AD’s.
                          This! Sell deserves far more credit than Bono.

Comment

Sell deserves a pile of credit for everything related to Bono. He had to put up with his contract demands for multiple years and deal with his ego. It wouldn't shock me to see SDSU go after Bono for tampering.

Comment

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...s-destinations

Interesting conversation regarding Seth from the FloWrestling Crew. Sounds like blocking Seth to Wisconsin is probably not possible. Also I did not realize this but Sell is head of a wrestling committee and the topic of transferring is on the docket on how to make it more lenient for the athlete. So Sell is in a tricky spot even if he wanted or had the ability to block Seth to Wisconsin unless there is proven tampering, which i have no insight on those rumors.

Biggest thing is that these guys have the same perspective as most of us on this board. Good listen overall.

Comment

Yes
                                Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                                https://www.flowrestling.org/article...s-destinations

Interesting conversation regarding Seth from the FloWrestling Crew. Sounds like blocking Seth to Wisconsin is probably not possible. Also I did not realize this but Sell is head of a wrestling committee and the topic of transferring is on the docket on how to make it more lenient for the athlete. So Sell is in a tricky spot even if he wanted or had the ability to block Seth to Wisconsin unless there is proven tampering, which i have no insight on those rumors.

Biggest thing is that these guys have the same perspective as most of us on this board. Good listen overall.
                                I don't think we should block any transfer. It's not what we are all about. If Seth would rather be some were else, then more power to him. If a non-athlete who happens to be doing well as a chemistry major and wanted transfer to U of Wisconsin for a better program and better job opportunities, would we stand in his way? Probably not! It bothers me, and maybe I too am guilty, how we as fans seem to claim ownership over the lives of student athletes. We dont have that ownership in our bag of capital assets. Justin does not seem to be that kind of a guy. He claims the glory when it is rightfully his and the rest he lets slide.
                                Last edited by Nidaros; 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X