Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT:Lamb Bonanza SDSU Jackrabbits vs ORU Golden Eagles @ Frost Arena

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Let's hope Grill is ready to go next year. We're likely going to need him to start right away.
    Based on who we are losing, I think this is all but a given. Let's hope he stays healthy!

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Let's hope Grill is ready to go next year. We're likely going to need him to start right away.
      I think Jenkins, Arians and one of Dentlinger/Dillon are locks to start next year. And to get some more needed size, the 6'7 JUCO Douglas Wilson is a good bet to start at PF if he shows anything at all. That lineup doesn't include a PG, so the fifth starter is probably going to be someone who can run the point. Unless Jenkins is used there, which might limit his scoring opportunities. Has anyone heard how Mims is looking in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        I think Jenkins, Arians and one of Dentlinger/Dillon are locks to start next year. And to get some more needed size, the 6'7 JUCO Douglas Wilson is a good bet to start at PF if he shows anything at all. That lineup doesn't include a PG, so the fifth starter is probably going to be someone who can run the point. Unless Jenkins is used there, which might limit his scoring opportunities. Has anyone heard how Mims is looking in practice.
        I gotta think O King is the safe bet to start at the point. I can’t see a true freshman starting at PG at least right out of the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I gotta think O King is the safe bet to start at the point. I can’t see a true freshman starting at PG at least right out of the gate.
          Brain cramp - completely forgot about him.

Comment

Am I missing something or is Owen King not in the mix for point guard? Speaking of a PF, when was the last true PF since Callahan. It seems the Jackrabbits have always had undersized 4 players. Arians may be stuck there. Is Aaron Fiegen a possible contributor at the 4? The recent parade of JUCO and transfer players has not yielded great help beyond a year at best. Howell, Key, Polk Hilliard, MCIII, Wallace, & Orris have provided 2+ years of good play. Figuring that a possible 13 years of play is available among that group, Orris is the only player to fill out his eligibility for the grad transfer year and make solid play. Key provided a year and Howell had part of a good year(and injury year). If you overlook the young players, you may miss another Dykstra or a red shirt kid named Daum. It appears most of the solid players played as freshmen. I still remember Parks, Marshall, and walk on Moffitt who seem to be the exceptions rather than the rule in Brookings. I am not discounting Wilson as a contributor. I am expecting the 4 year players to carry the load unless recent history on transfers changes. I would guess that Mims may have gone to redshirt prior to Key jumping off the team. He is another potential freshman contributor with a decent pedigree at HS level. This next team should be just fine. Meanwhile, there is still some time to watch this team try to get peaked by March.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              Speaking of a PF, when was the last true PF since Callahan. It seems the Jackrabbits have always had undersized 4 players.
              Callahan was a "true" PF? He was 6'-4". Not sure what you consider undersized for the 4 position but I'd consider 6'-4" undersized.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Callahan was a "true" PF? He was 6'-4". Not sure what you consider undersized for the 4 position but I'd consider 6'-4" undersized.
                Exactly, it seems Dykstra is the only PF sized 4 I recall in Jackrabbit D1 history. It returns to the speculation that Arians could be stuck there until further notice or arrival of someone who can win that position. It goes back to the saying of 4 guard lineup.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Has anyone heard how Mims is looking in practice.
                  I have heard Mims looks good in practice. Should be a solid player for us

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                    I have heard Mims looks good in practice. Should be a solid player for us
                    This is great to hear! Hopefully he continues to improve because we will need it. Mims did have a solid HS career as OldHare mentioned above.

Comment

Don't want to get too far down the road, but my guess is something like this.

1. O King
                      2. DJJ
                      3. Caleb Grill or Arians?
                      4. Wilson the JUCo OR Ariens if we continue to play "small ball"
                      5. Dentlinger

Bench of: Mims, Grill/Arians/Wilson (1 of them for sure), and Dillon and Fiegen and Krueger... plus you have the other two incoming Freshmen... Scheierman and Coburn??

So the team is going to look a lot different, but I believe the cupboard is far from bare.

I still wouldn't mind a Grad Transfer type player... with the 3 seniors we are losing, and the only "senior" on next year's roster is Beau Brown... be good to split up the classes a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        Exactly, it seems Dykstra is the only PF sized 4 I recall in Jackrabbit D1 history. It returns to the speculation that Arians could be stuck there until further notice or arrival of someone who can win that position. It goes back to the saying of 4 guard lineup.
                        I think that Daum kid was a serviceable PF.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                          I think that Daum kid was a serviceable PF.
                          IMO neither Daum or Dykstra were PF. They were more SF.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Maybe it would be better to call them stretch 4's instead.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              IMO neither Daum or Dykstra were PF. They were more SF.
                              Those guys aren’t SFs. They were PFs in college or stretch 4s.

Telly and Arians were/are SFs.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                Those guys aren’t SFs. They were PFs in college or stretch 4s.

Telly and Arians were/are SFs.
                                This is correct. Telly was a 3 that played at the 4 his whole career.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X