Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington SD
    Posts
    12,934

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    This is one reason I’m against a dome structure. You can’t really do a serious expansion if needed. You lock yourself in and I’m assuming would be quite costly to expand the dome.
    I suspect this is the downside of building a dome. No doubt this discussion came up when they were planning DJD. I personally think this is the one factor holding NDSU from moving to FBS, but they do love rings in Fargo so maybe they will stay FCS. To expand the Fargo Dome, is going to be costly.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Huron, South Dakota
    Posts
    3,164

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    I suspect this is the downside of building a dome. No doubt this discussion came up when they were planning DJD. I personally think this is the one factor holding NDSU from moving to FBS, but they do love rings in Fargo so maybe they will stay FCS. To expand the Fargo Dome, is going to be costly.
    That is why if you build a dome, you have to also build it to allow expansion. That is why they get expensive.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington SD
    Posts
    12,934

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakJack View Post
    That is why if you build a dome, you have to also build it to allow expansion. That is why they get expensive.
    Yes they do get expensive. I keep wondering if there will be expansion at the Fargo Dome. The permanent roof at Dakota Dome cost 13 million several years back. Replacing this same roof no doubt would cost at least a couple million more today. With Fargo Dome, it is city owned and that involves a whole set of different hoops to do any kind of improvement. If some one can show the city that an expansion would allow more concerts and other non-football events and more $$$ for the community, I think we will see an upgrade, but no one has come forward that I know of.

  4. #14

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    What I find amazing about all this is the long term effect of this choice. It's highly unlikely that that there will be any major expansion/updates to the dome for the next 20 years after these two phases are done. Mayne im wrong about that, but i dont think they can do a rennovation like this every 5-10 years. And it sounds like the future east side expansion is more for things like restrooms, concessions, amenities, etc. So they are pretty much locked in to sub 10,000 attendance for quite some time now. I wonder if it was cost or structural limitations that determined that this 25 million + update would end up at 9k? Your have to think that the fundraiser's knew the time was now to go big and that a 40 million dollar campaign in 10 years to add another 4k seats isn't going to fly. Point being, I doubt it was cost that held this back from being and expansion to 12-15k. If it's the structure, I guess I'm a little surprised they opted to update the dome and lock themselves in there for another 20-50 years than consider a new stadium entirely. I understand they just spent some money on the new bb arena, but I would imagine that 40 million would have gotten them a 14k outdoor stadium (DJD cost 65 million at 19,348 seats and sky boxes). You can build an outdoor stadium with ideas of phased expansion for future needs without much issue, and the price tag would end up cheaper than this dome renovation combined with future phases.

    I'm just surprised they made the choice to update the dome when the long term ramifications with that seem to outweigh the positives. Assuming they structurally can expand it to get to 12k-14k, based on the price tag with this expansion, you'd expect they'd need another 20-40 million to update and add in another 3k to 5k seats. By that time, the Dome renovations and updates will have cost more than DJD. And it's likely that an addition of 3k seats isn't going to come from the existing footprint, meaning the end zones would need to be reconfigured and I'm sure that would cost a lot more than this phase.

    If I was a yote fan, I'd be pretty pissed. I'd be curious how many of their fans would have been in favor of building an outdoor stadium vs these proposed dome expansions.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    1,427

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    What I find amazing about all this is the long term effect of this choice. It's highly unlikely that that there will be any major expansion/updates to the dome for the next 20 years after these two phases are done. Mayne im wrong about that, but i dont think they can do a rennovation like this every 5-10 years. And it sounds like the future east side expansion is more for things like restrooms, concessions, amenities, etc. So they are pretty much locked in to sub 10,000 attendance for quite some time now. I wonder if it was cost or structural limitations that determined that this 25 million + update would end up at 9k? Your have to think that the fundraiser's knew the time was now to go big and that a 40 million dollar campaign in 10 years to add another 4k seats isn't going to fly. Point being, I doubt it was cost that held this back from being and expansion to 12-15k. If it's the structure, I guess I'm a little surprised they opted to update the dome and lock themselves in there for another 20-50 years than consider a new stadium entirely. I understand they just spent some money on the new bb arena, but I would imagine that 40 million would have gotten them a 14k outdoor stadium (DJD cost 65 million at 19,348 seats and sky boxes). You can build an outdoor stadium with ideas of phased expansion for future needs without much issue, and the price tag would end up cheaper than this dome renovation combined with future phases.

    I'm just surprised they made the choice to update the dome when the long term ramifications with that seem to outweigh the positives. Assuming they structurally can expand it to get to 12k-14k, based on the price tag with this expansion, you'd expect they'd need another 20-40 million to update and add in another 3k to 5k seats. By that time, the Dome renovations and updates will have cost more than DJD. And it's likely that an addition of 3k seats isn't going to come from the existing footprint, meaning the end zones would need to be reconfigured and I'm sure that would cost a lot more than this phase.

    If I was a yote fan, I'd be pretty pissed. I'd be curious how many of their fans would have been in favor of building an outdoor stadium vs these proposed dome expansions.
    I'd be curious about the extent to which HS football championships impacted decision. You'd have to think Vermilion would lose those (possibly to Brookings or Sioux Falls) sans dome. That's not to say that annual economic stimulus exceeds what they'd gain by possibly having larger crowds at outdoor venue.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    1,427

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by slosho View Post
    they say on their site:
    • A USD-worthy game experience with new permanent seating, club seating, concessions and services

    So What's that less than Presentation College?
    Haha. Do you think "USD-worthy" also includes "Platinum-Level Cramp-Preventing" HVAC?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    O'Fallon,MO
    Posts
    1,410

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    OK I'm a thin blooded geezer who's lived in Missouri and Georgia for the last half century but when I traveled for my one game a year I chose Cedar Falls because it was indoors. Doubt if I would have been out there in near freezing temperatures and forty mph winds. I suspect that if expansion had been planned into the original Dakota Dome it could have been done quite reasonably.

  8. #18

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    I was really hoping they could boost their capacity a little more because it would make it a lot easier for me to get a ticket when the Jacks play there.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hartford, SD
    Posts
    2,658

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by jakejc795 View Post
    I'd be curious about the extent to which HS football championships impacted decision. You'd have to think Vermilion would lose those (possibly to Brookings or Sioux Falls) sans dome. That's not to say that annual economic stimulus exceeds what they'd gain by possibly having larger crowds at outdoor venue.
    The fact that they just paid (in terms of facility life) for the hard roof that might also factor into not razing it.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sioux Falls
    Posts
    4,331

    Default Re: DakotaDome Renovations 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodakbull View Post
    I was really hoping they could boost their capacity a little more because it would make it a lot easier for me to get a ticket when the Jacks play there.
    Serious question. Is it that difficult now?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •