GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Denver Pioneers @ Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Denver Pioneers @ Frost Arena

The culture has made a huge turn in Denver. Coach Turgeon came from lower division with a great record. He started this year at 369-172 in 17 years. He has carried that winning to post Denver's first winning season in 2018 which had not been done since 2012. We might recall that he had a win last week at home against the Yotes. They are 8-1 a home. They are currently 2-6 on the road. All of their normal starters score in double figures as the team averages 84.5ppg. One of the freshman(Mech) who had started earlier has been out in recent games. She is 6'2" forward. They average 44% fg. They turn the ball over 16 times/game. They will play at least 8 players with only Romanowski averaging over 30 minutes/game. The Pioneers will launch 25 long range shots per game at 41.4% success. The Jackrabbits should shut down the high power offense if they can find something close to the Green Bay or Creighton game type defense. Pioneers should stumble on the road in Brookings as the series goes to 14-1 in favor of Jackrabbits. Go Jacks!!

Midco and ESPN+ will carry the game.
    Last edited by OldHare; 01-09-2019, 01:17 PM.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Denver Pioneers @ Frost Arena

Denver is not a team you want to be suffering a post-rivalry hangover against. If they’re shooters get off to a hot start they’ll be a handful. I have a feeling tonight will be the start of a winning streak that will last until mid-March.

Comment

Sidney Stapleton with some good minutes. Jacks killing on the o boards.

Comment

That was a nice win. They just pounded Denver on the glass and dialed up the defense big time in the third quarter. Excellent bounce back from Sunday. Denver got a little reality check tonight too.

I hope we see more and more of Stapleton. She’s obviously fearless when it comes to shooting and was mixing it pretty good on the glass. It would be good to have someone cover some minutes for Irwin as she continues to charge into bad situations and turn the ball over as she tries to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          That was a nice win. They just pounded Denver on the glass and dialed up the defense big time in the third quarter. Excellent bounce back from Sunday. Denver got a little reality check tonight too.

I hope we see more and more of Stapleton. She’s obviously fearless when it comes to shooting and was mixing it pretty good on the glass. It would be good to have someone cover some minutes for Irwin as she continues to charge into bad situations and turn the ball over as she tries to get out.
          Irwin is really in a funk.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            Irwin is really in a funk.
            If that continues, it might be time to change things up and bring her off the bench, as she seemed more effective in that role last season.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              If that continues, it might be time to change things up and bring her off the bench, as she seemed more effective in that role last season.
              The problem is who are you going to replace her with? Outside of going back to Paiton who else has really played up to deserving to start. Outside of a couple of games, this appears to be what Irwin is so not sure we can label this a funk.

Comment

Very good win. The Jacks' depth was a big factor.
                This space for lease.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/user/sdsuathletics

Another reminder for this game, this is the least number of points the Pioneers have scored this season. Solid win for the Jackrabbits tonight.
                  Last edited by OldHare; 01-09-2019, 10:14 PM.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    Very good win. The Jacks' depth was a big factor.
                    Not really sure it was the depth so much as they appear quite deep and their bench actually out scored ours. The difference was us aggressively getting on the offensive glass and the struggles of their main scorers outside of Nelson.

Denver has not been a good road team, so the game there will be really big.

Comment

I think we are starting to see the development of a new trend. Irwin has become dang near a liability to have on the court. Palmer has been solid all season long and has the experience and poise. Stapleton every time she gets on the court IMO shows she has the talent and awareness to play here. I was also encouraged to see Stapleton take a couple shots and not settle on being a wallflower. I'm no guru buy any means if Irwin doesn't change her ways pretty quickly we need to change. Once again, JMO

Comment

I hope we see more and more of Stapleton. SheÂ’s obviously fearless when it comes to shooting and was mixing it pretty good on the glass. It would be good to have someone cover some minutes for Irwin as she continues to charge into bad situations and turn the ball over as she tries to get out.
                        I think this sums it up. SDSU won the glass and played good aggressive defense without fouling. I just think it was the all around effort that they played with. I wish they could keep that up but I have my doubts. At halftime SDSU was up 24-8 in rebounds. That was a good thing because they were behind 9-2 in TO's (I think).

I like what I see in Stapleton on the offensive end. I think she is a little hands on when she is on defense. I would dribble into her and get a reaching call. I'm sure that will improve but there were a couple of times where I think a foul could have been called on her. I think it is interesting that we run short on players against USD and the very next game AJ is playing another freshman more. Maybe it is just great timing.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                          I think this sums it up. SDSU won the glass and played good aggressive defense without fouling. I just think it was the all around effort that they played with. I wish they could keep that up but I have my doubts. At halftime SDSU was up 24-8 in rebounds. That was a good thing because they were behind 9-2 in TO's (I think).

I like what I see in Stapleton on the offensive end. I think she is a little hands on when she is on defense. I would dribble into her and get a reaching call. I'm sure that will improve but there were a couple of times where I think a foul could have been called on her. I think it is interesting that we run short on players against USD and the very next game AJ is playing another freshman more. Maybe it is just great timing.
                          The refs let the girls play last night. There was a fair amount of reaching and grabbing on both ends. The female official had me shaking my head a time or two. Along with the call when Stapleton had the pass tipped.

Comment

This was a game I watched just some of in the 2nd half, and walked away once again, thanking the Powers That Be that we still have AJ in charge of our women's program.

Our depth is inspiring. Agree that I like what I see from Stapleton, and Burkhard is already a baller. Good seeing Thuenick getting some decent time as well, we're going to need her next season. RCJ, Palmer, etc... the list goes on... this a fun group to get behind.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                              This was a game I watched just some of in the 2nd half, and walked away once again, thanking the Powers That Be that we still have AJ in charge of our women's program.

Our depth is inspiring. Agree that I like what I see from Stapleton, and Burkhard is already a baller. Good seeing Thuenick getting some decent time as well, we're going to need her next season. RCJ, Palmer, etc... the list goes on... this a fun group to get behind.
                              Agree 100%, after this season, we will lose the #! scorer in school history, maybe #2 too, depending on how Maddie finishes the season of course,, and must not forget Syd , a steady, rock solid player we rely on off the bench. Now is the time to get players ready for big opportunities and challenges facing them all next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X