GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Denver Pioneers @ Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Denver Pioneers @ Frost Arena

This was one of the best games I've seen them play ,dauntless (watch too many movies?), absolutely fearless, and very driven and efficient playing with unabated confidence. We are very rapidly getting into March form. Everyone seems committed to improving all the little things that all add up to a pretty big thing in team performance.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      This was one of the best games I've seen them play ,dauntless (watch too many movies?), absolutely fearless, and very driven and efficient playing with unabated confidence. We are very rapidly getting into March form. Everyone seems committed to improving all the little things that all add up to a pretty big thing in team performance.
      I don't know about this. The Jacks threw numerous really, really, REALLY bad passes right into the hands of Denver players. I'm still concerned about the number of turnovers this team commits.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        I don't know about this. The Jacks threw numerous really, really, REALLY bad passes right into the hands of Denver players. I'm still concerned about the number of turnovers this team commits.
        That's oddly been an issue with a lot of AJs teams. Never really sure why.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Agree ,still need work , but the times they weren't throwing the ball away, they looked fantastic ...... I noticed a few times they were a half to a sec slow driving to the hoop, by then the defender was better positioned to stop the drive. But that's kind of nit picking.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Agree 100%, after this season, we will lose the #! scorer in school history, maybe #2 too, depending on how Maddie finishes the season of course,, and must not forget Syd , a steady, rock solid player we rely on off the bench. Now is the time to get players ready for big opportunities and challenges facing them all next season.
            It is really a testament to the entire WBB program that we are always discussing who we will be losing and how we will replace them, and then the next great player steps into the spotlight. I can remember talking about how there would be a drop off when (Warkenthien/Schkagel/Vogel/Pater) left. The stream of talented women playing in Frost is impressive.

Looking at the top scorers in SDSU WBB history, 8 of the top 10 are from AJ & Staff. In fact, the top 5 are all from 2000 and on. Granted the game has changed, but overall I would say that we have been very spoiled as fans.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              It is really a testament to the entire WBB program that we are always discussing who we will be losing and how we will replace them, and then the next great player steps into the spotlight. I can remember talking about how there would be a drop off when (Warkenthien/Schkagel/Vogel/Pater) left. The stream of talented women playing in Frost is impressive.

Looking at the top scorers in SDSU WBB history, 8 of the top 10 are from AJ & Staff. In fact, the top 5 are all from 2000 and on. Granted the game has changed, but overall I would say that we have been very spoiled as fans.
              The well won't be completely dry, Sellend, Larson, Irwin are starters coming back, Burckhard and RCJ, Thueninck, great contributors this season, Stapleton showing great promise, Bultsma's last yr next yr, greatly improved from her previous yrs leading the reserves, look for a couple two or three to take advantage of getting more playing time, becoming more relied on to score, + a trio of really good new frosh. AJ and his great staff will no doubt be able to build something worth looking forward to with these returners to keep the program headed in the right direction, he's shown us all repeatedly he can do quit well coaching talented players who have great expectations and mold them into a pretty formidable team.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-11-2019, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

I know that this is comparing apples to oranges but who was the last "great" SDSU player that didn't score more than 6.5 PPG their freshmen year? I think Megan Waytashek would be one but she only played a few games. Pater would be next closest at 6.7 PPG. Most of the greats come in and make an immediate impact Vogel (13.3), Schlagel (11.8), Macy (13.7), Madi (10.4), Warkenthien (7.1), K. Young (7.1), J. Young (10.2) and Myah (9.6). Tylee did average 6.4 so we will see.

I'm not saying that just because they don't score a lot their freshmen year they will be a bust but most of the great players come in and make a difference. SDSU this season has Macy (17.8), Madi (14.1) and Myah (12.9) so there might not be enough shots or points for anybody else to show what they can do.

SDSU used to have several players that could hit the 3FG at a high %. This year you have Macy (.471%), Madi (.417%), Larson (.348%), Myah (.324%), Tylee (.290%), Rylie CJ (.321%) and Theuninck (.267%). I would say when your starting C and PF are your 3rd and 4th best 3PT% that isn't a good sign but SDSU's men with Daum and Reed were that way (I think) a couple of years ago. THIS IS A SMALL SAMPLE SIZE so take it for the little to nothing that it is worth.

I hope at least one of the players coming in will average around 10 PPG. I'm sure some of the current players will step up but I don't have a clue which ones will, yet. Stapleton looks like she can do some good things on the offensive end so she might be the next Waytashek. We have not seen enough of Ferrand or Hirschman too know about them. Maybe Rongisch will be the next Jill Young.
                I see a ton of options but they either haven't had much of a chance or any chance, yet. If they were as good as the players listed above, I think, they would have seen some solid PT this season.

Comment

Working...
                X