Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT - 2019 FCS Championship EWU vs NDSU

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    This game does generate some thoughts for the future of NDSU. Other FCS fans, particularly from the South, are hopeful of a NDSU move to FBS, but it would require major renovations to the Fargo Dome, a city owned facility. I don’t have a clue how this will go over with the electorate of Fargo. Not every voter is a Bison fan. Nor is every Bison fan a voter in Fargo. So IDK. Does the discussion get more serious after seven NC’s in eight years? This more than any FCS member past or present. Do they continue winning NC? I think so and we continue to keep following the rear end of a buffalo which we had done since 1964. Someone truthfully said on Facebook that NDSU success makes everyone better. Even SDSU.
    It's all about money. Right now they sell out every game because of their success. Would the fanbase remain if their chances of winning a NC went from 95% in FBS to less than 1% in FCS? Is some third tier bowl going to generate more income for NDSU/Fargo than 2 home playoff games?
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Personally, I think one of 3 things is going to happen in the next few years with NDSU:

1) They will drop off a little over the next season or two (8-3 type season) and be challenged again. A top 10 or 15 team each year, but not necessarily world beaters each season. Continuing the year-in year-out dominance for a decade with three different coaching staffs would be shocking, and I doubt they'll be able to sustain the 2011 to 2018 level of dominance.

2) They'll win a couple more natties and find a way to move up. I know all the issues with moving up, but I think if they really want to, they'll find a way to make it work.

3) They'll keep winning more championships and their fan base will grow incredibly bored. Not that we have much room to talk, but the past two seasons it was noticeable that their attendance wasn't up to par for regular season or playoff games. If there's never any drama, people eventually aren't going to care as much. If that cycle continues, I think they'd either have to move up or watch their home field advantage take a slip. Didn't they have 16.5k for both of their first playoff games this season? Next year will have a lot of intriguing storyline for the fans (new coach, new qb, lots of new faces), but if they come out and win a title in 2019 and 2020, what else can they really do here, except win it in 2021 and 2022? Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'd expect apathy to set in eventually if the above scenario happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        Personally, I think one of 3 things is going to happen in the next few years with NDSU:

1) They will drop off a little over the next season or two (8-3 type season) and be challenged again. A top 10 or 15 team each year, but not necessarily world beaters each season. Continuing the year-in year-out dominance for a decade with three different coaching staffs would be shocking, and I doubt they'll be able to sustain the 2011 to 2018 level of dominance.

2) They'll win a couple more natties and find a way to move up. I know all the issues with moving up, but I think if they really want to, they'll find a way to make it work.

3) They'll keep winning more championships and their fan base will grow incredibly bored. Not that we have much room to talk, but the past two seasons it was noticeable that their attendance wasn't up to par for regular season or playoff games. If there's never any drama, people eventually aren't going to care as much. If that cycle continues, I think they'd either have to move up or watch their home field advantage take a slip. Didn't they have 16.5k for both of their first playoff games this season? Next year will have a lot of intriguing storyline for the fans (new coach, new qb, lots of new faces), but if they come out and win a title in 2019 and 2020, what else can they really do here, except win it in 2021 and 2022? Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'd expect apathy to set in eventually if the above scenario happens.
        Apathy, I wish but if you spent some time in Fargo, it doesn’t seem likely. Yesterday, we ate a meal at Presido’s a Mexican restaurant in Fargo. Some loud cheers from the bar area when the first TD was scored. Not all fans were in Frisco. Tired of winning? Some fans are just beginning to appreciate winning.

Comment

Working...
        X