No announcement yet.

GDT:SDSU JACKRABBITS VS PFW MASTODONS @ Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT:SDSU JACKRABBITS VS PFW MASTODONS @ Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    SDSU just isn't very deep this year. They do have Daum, T. King, Flatten, Jenkins Jr but after that they have either redshirt or true freshmen. Nagy might have left the cupboard bare but TJ hasn't found his groove, yet, at SDSU. He has only been here for 2 2/3 years but he hasn't added much depth for this year other than Jenkins Jr.

Lets look at who he has brought in for depth for this years team-

His first class- He might have got here late in the recruiting season but Nagy took Love with him so TJ might have looked at somebody that he could have brought in or maybe not.
    Howell- He would be a senior but he left after last year.
    El Darwich- He was only here one year. He would either be a junior or a redshirt sophomore.

His second class-
    Key- Would be a senior and is on scholarship but decided not to play.
    Polk-Hilliard- Would be a senior but left after one season.
    He did recruit 5 freshmen but redshirted 4 of them (Jenkins Jr).

His third class-
    Carter III- He is sitting out because of transfer rules.
    Owen King- He is a freshman that is playing.
    Feign and Mims- They are both redshirting this season.

TJ did have Wallace transfer in too but he would have graduated last year so he wouldn't matter this season.
    TJ has not been here very long and he has some players coming in but this team has 4 upperclass players. If you are only that deep, you can't have players having off nights against good teams.
    I think some of the freshmen will be good but they have been in the system 2 years or less.
    Winning on the road is tough but no one can convince me the cupboard was left bare. Nagy left mike daum, the greatest player in SDSU history. From there on it’s up to any coach to figure out pieces whether it’s transfers for experience etc. any new coach in the country would love had having mike daum, tevin king, theisen, flatten, Telly as the additional core and then add pieces around it. I wouldn’t call that bare. Otz did an awesome job with jenkins jr. So I’m not bashing otz etc, just concerned on depth which in no way is nagys fault.

thats the part that scares me next year- if we are not deep this year we will definitely not be deep these next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
      Winning on the road is tough but no one can convince me the cupboard was left bare. Nagy left mike daum, the greatest player in SDSU history. From there on it’s up to any coach to figure out pieces whether it’s transfers for experience etc. any new coach in the country would love had having mike daum, tevin king, theisen, flatten, Telly as the additional core and then add pieces around it. I wouldn’t call that bare. Otz did an awesome job with jenkins jr. So I’m not bashing otz etc, just concerned on depth which in no way is nagys fault.

thats the part that scares me next year- if we are not deep this year we will definitely not be deep these next few years.
      I think we'll be just fine next year.

We've got Jenkins back. We add a transfer from Washington in MCIII. We also add the highest rated recruit we've ever had at SDSU in Caleb Grill. Add to that the four RS freshman and one true freshman that are logging good minutes this year and you've got 7-8 bodies. We'll likely never go 9-10 deep consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

We've got Jenkins back. We add a transfer from Washington in MCIII. We also add the highest rated recruit we've ever had at SDSU in Caleb Grill. Add to that the four RS freshman and one true freshman that are logging good minutes this year and you've got 7-8 bodies. We'll likely never go 9-10 deep consistently.
        There's another player coming in next year that gets overlooked because of Grill. 6'5 PG Baylor Scheierman who also was named state football POY as a QB. And also a 6'7 JUCO PF.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          There's another player coming in next year that gets overlooked because of Grill. 6'5 PG Baylor Scheierman who also was named state football POY as a QB. And also a 6'7 JUCO PF.
          Do we need to cross post this one to the 2019 Starting QB thread? (Only semi-joking.)
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Thanks for adding on.

There will be new guys step up. Always is. I remember when there was no way we could replace Wolters. We've done quite well since then.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post

I guess the cupboard bare was a bad phrase. Nagy's recruits made up the backbone of what SDSU has done the last 3 years. You can't ask for a lot more than that.

Comment

Scheierman is pretty highly regarded in NE from what I read. I imagine that both him and Grill won't redshirt as they will be needed to play right away but it will be fun to see what happens. How many all state quarterbacks can you have on a BB team? I have a hard time getting too excited for these JUCO guys. They don't seem to stick around for very long not just for SDSU, but other schools as well. Too many have the grass is always greener over there attitude. But I am hoping it works out for him and the team.

Comment

Check out Twitter for Zimmer for the piece on DJJ.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I agree. The Jacks are gradually getting better each season. Players have left in search of playing time, usually at a lower level, and not because SDSU is bad. They just don't want to sit on the bench. Notable exceptions are the two Nagy recruits who followed Nagy to Wright State and remain valuable contributors to that team.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

• Re: GDT:SDSU JACKRABBITS VS PFW MASTODONS @ Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                      Scheierman is pretty highly regarded in NE from what I read. I imagine that both him and Grill won't redshirt as they will be needed to play right away but it will be fun to see what happens. How many all state quarterbacks can you have on a BB team? I have a hard time getting too excited for these JUCO guys. They don't seem to stick around for very long not just for SDSU, but other schools as well. Too many have the grass is always greener over there attitude. But I am hoping it works out for him and the team.
                      I got a chance to watch Scheierman play over Xmas break. He didn't play point for them but the offense tried to run through him.....we played a box and one which took the ball out of his hands a lot.

From what I saw in one game, he is a load to handle when driving to the rim, has legit range upto 30 feet and has borderline elite vision. My one concern with him has always been foot speed. We played a slow game against him so it was hard to tell if it has gotten better....also defensively he played inside a lot so I couldn't tell if he could keep up with a quicker guard. From what I could see he definitely has a skillet that he could exploit and weaknesses that could be exploited, will be interesting to see how TJ uses him

Comment

• Re: GDT:SDSU JACKRABBITS VS PFW MASTODONS @ Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                        SDSU just isn't very deep this year. They do have Daum, T. King, Flatten, Jenkins Jr but after that they have either redshirt or true freshmen. Nagy might have left the cupboard bare but TJ hasn't found his groove, yet, at SDSU. He has only been here for 2 2/3 years but he hasn't added much depth for this year other than Jenkins Jr.

Lets look at who he has brought in for depth for this years team-

His first class- He might have got here late in the recruiting season but Nagy took Love with him so TJ might have looked at somebody that he could have brought in or maybe not.
                        Howell- He would be a senior but he left after last year.
                        El Darwich- He was only here one year. He would either be a junior or a redshirt sophomore.

His second class-
                        Key- Would be a senior and is on scholarship but decided not to play.
                        Polk-Hilliard- Would be a senior but left after one season.
                        He did recruit 5 freshmen but redshirted 4 of them (Jenkins Jr).

His third class-
                        Carter III- He is sitting out because of transfer rules.
                        Owen King- He is a freshman that is playing.
                        Feign and Mims- They are both redshirting this season.

TJ did have Wallace transfer in too but he would have graduated last year so he wouldn't matter this season.
                        TJ has not been here very long and he has some players coming in but this team has 4 upperclass players. If you are only that deep, you can't have players having off nights against good teams.
                        I think some of the freshmen will be good but they have been in the system 2 years or less.
                        Just to be clear - Nagy didn't take Love with him. TJ made the decision to let him go and Nagy gladly took him in once released from his NLI to SDSU. Cole Gentry (PG) also transferred to Wright State who we could probably use right now. But if Key would have stuck around, we wouldn't feel the same way. Then there was a big kid from Volga who was verbally committed to the Jacks when TJ arrived and he ended up at Augie. Not saying either of these moves was wrong, just keeping our facts straight.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Just to be clear - Nagy didn't take Love with him. TJ made the decision to let him go and Nagy gladly took him in once released from his NLI to SDSU. Cole Gentry (PG) also transferred to Wright State who we could probably use right now. But if Key would have stuck around, we wouldn't feel the same way. Then there was a big kid from Volga who was verbally committed to the Jacks when TJ arrived and he ended up at Augie. Not saying either of these moves was wrong, just keeping our facts straight.
                          We could use Love right now too.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            We could use Love right now too.
                            *types, deletes, types, deletes*

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If anyone is wondering how hard it is to win on the road in conference play you should checkout espnu and watch Nevada struggle right now with a 7-6 New Mexico team. They are down 59-43 with 9:09 left

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                It's college BB on the road - it happens. KU wins the Big 12 every year but even they have at least 1 dumbfounded road loss during conference play each year.
                                You mean like the 17 point loss to Iowa State today?

Comment

Working...
                                X