No announcement yet.

GDT:SDSU JACKRABBITS VS PFW MASTODONS @ Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT:SDSU JACKRABBITS VS PFW MASTODONS @ Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Bad night. But the Jacks have got to move on and beat USD on Sunday. FW shot really well. I don't think we'll run into that every game.
    This. Much like we won’t hang 139 points every night.

Comment

not much impressed with Allen Co War Memorial Coliseum. especially for the women's game. i think the lack of atmosphere in the joint might have led to their lackluster performance. the men's game, pfw was hot from three and yes the majority were uncontested, last weekend the place had the Rumble in Fort Wayne in the exhibition hall attached to the coliseum, indoor midget and go cart racing. they must of piped the exhaust gasses into the rabbits locker room. the pfw band director was a piece of work, arguing calls with the refs, almost ran onto the court a few times on some calls. really unprofessional for a representative of the school.

Comment

Expectations were way too high for the season. I knew we wouldnt roll through the conf schedule. Rarely happens in any conference that there is an unbeaten beaten team. Three road games to start is tough. We could be 1-2 after Sunday. But could end up 14-2. Never know. Or we could lose a couple more road games.

Comment

When 3 pointers go through the hoop at an very high rate on one end and far below average on the other end this is what happens. SDSU was much below their 3 point statistical average and PFW much above leading to about 3 less and 3 more triples respectively for each. That accounts for all of the point difference in this one. A team like SDSU that heavily relies on shooting the 3 as well as clogging the paint and forcing jumpers is going to have a fairly wide range of outcomes depending on whether or not the ball goes through the hoop.

I'm not implying for a second that we didn't play poorly. I love Tevin King but he had a rough night and some bad turnovers. Flatten maybe tried to do a little too much. And again, no Dentlinger, when it seems we've had our best defensive and rebounding performances with him on the floor.

PWF is a decent team. Our struggles last night were magnified by some out of range shooting percentages. That happens in basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
            Defense has never been the priority for otz and we don’t recruit for defense.

Is me or does anyone think next year we are going to be a .500 type team?
            NO WAY JOSE. Defense is a big part of Otz's game plan. You apparently would rather have Nagy back. Defense and rebounding were big things to his plan, but Nagy has moved on. Currently WSU is 7-9 but they played several MAC teams which are beatable.

Comment

There is no question our teams aren't as defensive minded as our Nagy coached teams but we also play a much higher tempo which means we will give up more points on occasion.

We give up right at 73 ppg and score 86 ppg. That scoring margin is good for 36th in the country. Before last night we were 180th in the country in PPG allowed...middle of the pack. Considering the tempo we play at, I don't think that's that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Apparently tevin king is all we need. Until the players and coaches address the elephant in the room. Pardon the pun, we are going to have a long conference season.
                I don't know about a long conference season. IPFW and possibly USD should be the only teams that should be able to beat us. Not to say another team won't beat us but we should be able to beat the rest of them 8 out of 10 times or so. IPFW would be closer to a 50-50 game to me. Konchar is just that good. This was just a bad game. Starting with 3 road games and playing @IPFW and @USD was the most difficult part of SDSU"s conference season. I guess they might have 2 or so conference loses this season. That would be about the same number as last season.
                I wonder if they are still using the defensive belt for the best defensive player in practice each week. People now days like gimmicks like that but who knows if they really make them want to try harder or not.
                Flatten was off and SDSU needs him to play well against good teams. Owen King picked up some of the slack but it wasn't enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                  Expectations were way too high for the season. I knew we wouldnt roll through the conf schedule. Rarely happens in any conference that there is an unbeaten beaten team. Three road games to start is tough. We could be 1-2 after Sunday. But could end up 14-2. Never know. Or we could lose a couple more road games.
                  Expectations should have been high. We have two of the best mid major players in the country with two seniors next to them and we play in a weak conference.

We will I’ll be fine this year and I still think we win the tournament without too much stress but as I think forward I’m a little nervous about the upcoming few years. We are losing a lot of our toughness and experience. But let’s just worry about this year first.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                    When 3 pointers go through the hoop at an very high rate on one end and far below average on the other end this is what happens. SDSU was much below their 3 point statistical average and PFW much above leading to about 3 less and 3 more triples respectively for each. That accounts for all of the point difference in this one. A team like SDSU that heavily relies on shooting the 3 as well as clogging the paint and forcing jumpers is going to have a fairly wide range of outcomes depending on whether or not the ball goes through the hoop.

I'm not implying for a second that we didn't play poorly. I love Tevin King but he had a rough night and some bad turnovers. Flatten maybe tried to do a little too much. And again, no Dentlinger, when it seems we've had our best defensive and rebounding performances with him on the floor.

PWF is a decent team. Our struggles last night were magnified by some out of range shooting percentages. That happens in basketball.
                    That is why you rarely see any teams from major/mid-major conferences "run the table" and go undefeated through their conference schedules, no matter how good they are. Even that great Jacks women's team from 08/09 lost what was certainly a winnable game at Oakland. Go out and win on Sunday. and the Jacks are 2-1, with what are likely their two most difficult road games out of the way. Not that bad of a place to be, with 8 out of the final 13 games in Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      That is why you rarely see any teams from major/mid-major conferences "run the table" and go undefeated through their conference schedules, no matter how good they are. Even that great Jacks women's team from 08/09 lost what was certainly a winnable game at Oakland. Go out and win on Sunday. and the Jacks are 2-1, with what are likely their two most difficult road games out of the way. Not that bad of a place to be, with 8 out of the final 13 games in Frost.
                      I'd also add it's just really really hard to win on the road in college basketball. There is a reason (other than financial) the P5 teams pretty much don't play true road games until conference play starts.

Comment

Who is going to start the fire Otz thread? LOL
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Tough night for the men last night. (obviously).

Just need to learn from it, and grow, and improve. That's the key to every successful season.

I thought it was ludicrous how many people were saying they were going undefeated in conference. That's so hard to do. Impossible? No. But very hard.

Just bounce back, and play better... this team is still talented enough. And PFW is probably a little better than we thought starting conference play at 3-0.

Comment

Expectations should have been high. We have two of the best mid major players in the country with two seniors next to them and we play in a weak conference.

We will IÂ’ll be fine this year and I still think we win the tournament without too much stress but as I think forward IÂ’m a little nervous about the upcoming few years. We are losing a lot of our toughness and experience. But letÂ’s just worry about this year first.
                            SDSU just isn't very deep this year. They do have Daum, T. King, Flatten, Jenkins Jr but after that they have either redshirt or true freshmen. Nagy might have left the cupboard bare but TJ hasn't found his groove, yet, at SDSU. He has only been here for 2 2/3 years but he hasn't added much depth for this year other than Jenkins Jr.

Lets look at who he has brought in for depth for this years team-

His first class- He might have got here late in the recruiting season but Nagy took Love with him so TJ might have looked at somebody that he could have brought in or maybe not.
                            Howell- He would be a senior but he left after last year.
                            El Darwich- He was only here one year. He would either be a junior or a redshirt sophomore.

His second class-
                            Key- Would be a senior and is on scholarship but decided not to play.
                            Polk-Hilliard- Would be a senior but left after one season.
                            He did recruit 5 freshmen but redshirted 4 of them (Jenkins Jr).

His third class-
                            Carter III- He is sitting out because of transfer rules.
                            Owen King- He is a freshman that is playing.
                            Feign and Mims- They are both redshirting this season.

TJ did have Wallace transfer in too but he would have graduated last year so he wouldn't matter this season.
                            TJ has not been here very long and he has some players coming in but this team has 4 upperclass players. If you are only that deep, you can't have players having off nights against good teams.
                            I think some of the freshmen will be good but they have been in the system 2 years or less.

Comment

We will I’ll be fine this year and I still think we win the tournament without too much stress but as I think forward I’m a little nervous about the upcoming few years. We are losing a lot of our toughness and experience. But let’s just worry about this year first.
                              I had high expectations too. But then we lost to FGCU, Tulane and Montana. No losses will surprise me now. Just hope the freshman get better by the end of the season so we can win 3 in SF.

Comment

If you look back realistically at the SDSU men's pre-conference performance, running the table in the Summit League simply wasn't going to happen. The Jacks are just too inconsistent and too dependent on the 3-point shot to blow through the conference like an F5 tornado. When the Jacks are good, they're very, very good but when they're bad they're really, really bad. That's what you get with questionable/inconsistent defense paired with a 3-point-shot-dependent offense.

We're back to the old sage advice of win 'em all at home and split the road schedule, and you'll be okay. Winning in Vermillion would make it a winning road trip to open the season.

Onward!
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X