Top SDSU Players By State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top SDSU Players By State

Had some fun over xmas break and put together the below for debate. My take on the top 5 players from our main recruiting states. Only rules are that players have to come from D1 era and can't currently be on roster. Interesting to go back and see that we get certain positions from certain states. Iowa is heavy on linebackers, O-Line from Wisconsin, and defensive playmakers from Arizona. Surprisingly skill players from SD & MN.

South Dakota
    15-18 - QB Taryn Christian - Sioux Falls Roosevelt - 13,000+ total yds, 131 TDs
    14-17 - TE Dallas Goedert - Britton-Hecla - 198 rec, 2,988 yds, 21 TDs
    11-14 - QB Austin Sumner - Brandon Valley - 9,400+ passing yds, 65 TDs
    05-08 - WR JaRon Harris - Sioux Falls Washington - 152 rec, 2,200+ yds, 24 TD
    05-08 - QB Ryan Berry - Watertown - 6,000+ passing yds, 56 TDs

Minnesota
    11-14 - RB Zach Zenner - Eagan - 7,500 total yards, 69 total TDs
    14-17 - WR Jake Wieneke - Maple Grove - 288 Rec, 5,100+ yds, 60 TD
    07-10 - OLB Derek Domino - Spring Lake Park - 300 Tackles, 15 TFL, 2 Sacks, 9 Int, 2 FR, 3 TDs
    07-10 - RB Kyle Minnett - Russell-Tyler-Ruthton - 5,300+ yds, 54 TD
    04-07 - OT Mitch Erickson - Hutchinson - 42 Games Started

Iowa
    06-09 - MLB Chris Johnson - Council Bluffs Lincoln - 292 Tackles, 12 TFL, 5 Sacks, 2 Int, 7 QBH, 4 FR, 2 FF
    04-06 - CB Hank McCall - Bishop Garrigan (Algona) - 141 Tackles, 8 TFL, 5 Int, 2 FR, 2 FF
    04-07 - CB Brock Gentile - St Albert Catholic (Council Bluffs) - 123 Tackles, 7 Int, 29 pbu, 1 FR
    06-09 - WR Glen Fox - 152 Rec, 1,800+ yds, 15 TD
    04-07 - RB Cory Koenig - 3,100+ yds, 28 TD

Nebraska
    09-12 - DT Andy Mink - Ashland-Greenwood - 200 Tackles, 20 TFL, 12.5 Sacks, 9 QBH, 6 FF
    04-05 - WR Josh Davis - Omaha Burke- 92 Rec, 1,432 Yds, 11 TD (DI numbers only)
    04-07 - OL Preston Crumly - Hartington-Newcastle - 31 Games Started
    12-15 - CB Jimmie Forsythe - Omaha Burke - 143 Tackles, 5.5 TFL, 6 INT, 1 FF
    10-13 - WR Brandon Hubert - Gretna - 136 Rec, 1,766 Yds, 10 TD

Wisconsin
    10-13 - LT Bryan Witzmann - Somerset - 49 Games Started
    14-17 - OC Jacob Ohnesorge - Waunakee - 53 Games Started
    07-10 - TE Colin Cochart - Kewaunee - 82 Rec, 997 Yds, 14 TD
    14-17 - LG Sepesitiano Pupungatoa - 38 Games Started
    12-15 - LG Dylan Seiter - 26 Games Started

Illinois
    12-15 - MLB TJ Lally - Marmion Academy - 415 Tackles, 28 TFL, 8.5 Sacks, 2 INT, 9 QBH, 5 FR, 3 FF
    14-17 - LT Charlie Harmon - O'Fallon Township - 39 Games Started
    13-16 - OLB Jesse Bobbit - Palatine - 306 Tackles, 14 TFL, 2 Sacks, 2 INT, 4 QBH, 2 FR, 3 FF
    14-17 - FB Vince Benedetto - Crystal Lake South - 48 games played, 24 Rec, 182 Yds, 2 TD
    11-14 - DE Jack Sherlock - 66 Tackles, 15 TFL, 8 Sacks, 1 INT, 6 QBH, 1 FR, 2 FF

Arizona
    06-09 - DE Danny Batten - Mesquite - 273 Tackles, 52.5 TFL, 23 Sacks, 19 QBH, 2 FR, 2 FF, 1 Blk Kick
    06-09 - OLB Jimmy Rogers - Hamilton - 312 Tackles, 11.5 TFL, 3 INT, .5 Sacks, 7 QBH, 2 FR, 3 FF, 1 TD
    15-18 - CB Jordan Brown - Paradise Valley - 148 Tackles, 6 TFL, 8 INT, 62 PBU, 1 FR, 1 TD, 1 Blk Kick
    13-16 - OLB Dallas Brown - Sabino - 174 Tackles, 17 TFL, 4 Sacks, 7 INT, 1 FR, 3 FF, 3 TD
    12-15 - CB Je Ryan Butler - Marcos De Niza - 136 Tackles, 6 TFL, 10 INT, 38 PBU, 1 FR, 1 FF, 1 TD, 1 Blk Kick, 1,100 total return yards
    Last edited by mitchell; 01-02-2019, 03:46 PM.

Re: Top SDSU Players By State

One could make a case for Dale Moss WR but since he only played the one year (doesn't have the stats) and wasn't recruited to play football, I can see why you left him off the list. But he did make it on an NFL roster.
    Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 01-02-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I'd consider Brady Mengarelli for the Arizona group. Multiple time All-MVFC player and team captain. However, I don't know that I would bump any of the other five from that group. Butler's 1,100 return yards coupled with his excellent skills in the defensive backfield are too hard to ignore. The other four are all-time studs!

Comment

I believe Jason Schneider out of MN probably could be included.

Comment

That's a great list, Mitchell. Fun stuff! There might be a kicker who belongs on the list. I'll ponder that.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Yeah, there were many honorable mentions. Mostly from the state of SD, but Schneider was a hard one to leave off. Mostly focused on careers and that's why Moss didn't make it.

Some others off the top of my head.
            SD - DT Langer, DT Soulek, WR Moss, WR Kool, S Mears, S Kjerstad, CB Koch, OL McKnight, OL Castle, OL Gregor, P Bainbridge & Hale
            MN - DT Schneider, DT Pontrelli, WR Schneider
            NE - PK Douglas should probably be on there
            AZ - RB Mengerelli

Top players from states outside our recruiting area:
            CB Cole Brodie (GA)
            CB Winston Wright (MO)
            DE Doug Peete (KS)
            MLB Mike Lien (CA)
            WR Aaron Rollin (MO)

Players currently on roster who will make it: Roozeboom (IA), Cade Johnson (NE), Ryan Earith (NE), Strong (AR)

Comment

I would probably add Ryan McKnight to the SD list and drop Berry, even though he deserves to be on it. Only reason I'd drop him is because he is the 3rd best QB on the list of SD players there. NE could make a case to add Casey Bender as well.

Comment

Alaska:
                Zach Lujan

Comment

Has there ever been a significant contributor from North Dakota for the Jacks? The Bison and the Sioux in their D2 glory days had plenty of SD players.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                    Has there ever been a significant contributor from North Dakota for the Jacks? The Bison and the Sioux in their D2 glory days had plenty of SD players.
                    Pete Retzlaff Ellendale
                    Ted Wahl Jamestown and that’s about all.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 01-21-2019, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Pete Retzlaff of Ellendale, High School has been the best Jackrabbit from North Dakota. He's one of the greatest Jacks of all time. He starred in football (as a fullback) and track at SDSU during the 1950s and is in the Jackrabbit Hall of Fame. He served in the Army for a couple of years after college, then went on to the NFL, where he played in five Pro Bowls in 11 seasons and was the NFL Player of the Year in 1965. He also served as president of the Players Association. The Philadelphia Eagles have retired his number. After his playing career ended, he became VP and general manager of the Eagles and a TV commentator. Spectacular career.

https://gojacks.com/news/2007/5/24/899782.aspx
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Ted Wahl, QB from Jamestown. 1988 NCC MVP.

*Nidaros beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Ted Wahl, QB from Jamestown. 1988 NCC MVP.

*Nidaros beat me to it.
                          That’s not a tough question. I was thinking during semi final game, it have great if we had hung to Marlett. That’s one that got away. The worst or most paintul was a Brookings guy Chad Stark.

Comment

Matt Anderson from Wahpeton was a three year starter on the D-Line in the late 90's, early 2000's. About as solid a performer as a nose tackle can be.

His kid is a Moorehead Spud and just got an offer from the new staff at Kansas that includes former Jacks coach Luke Meadows.

Comment

This is really a good question for discussion. Keep in mind this thread was started to look at players from the D1 era. I went back to the 2007 season and we've not had one player on the roster from North Dakota. That is somewhat remarkable when you consider how close they are. I don't remember too many that we've actually recruited.

There have been a number of quality players from South Dakota that have helped the Bison and I'm sure a few more who've contributed to the Fighting whatever's. I contribute it to two things. More players in South Dakota and the Bison have won numerous national championships at multiple levels. It would be interesting to compile a list of notable contributors for NDSU and UND from the Rushmore state. No time today for me to look up that information.

Comment

Working...
                              X