Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit WBB 2018-19

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Imho Denver is the 3rd best team on the women's side. Mens side also maybe.
    Agree

Comment

My tier rankings from early December:

Tier 1- SDSU, USD
      Tier 2- Denver
      Tier 3- UND, WIU, ORU, UNO
      Tier 4- IPFW, NDSU

If anything I would maybe drop UNO down a tier and push the bottom two teams into a 5th Tier. I may have been a year too early on UNO as they look a bit behind the rest in that tier. Still not convinced WIU is as good as they have shown. They need to prove it on the road. Same thing for Denver. Not convinced they can carry that offense on the road. Don’t think they come back from 15 down against USD if that game had been in Vermillion.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
        My tier rankings from early December:

Tier 1- SDSU, USD
        Tier 2- Denver
        Tier 3- UND, WIU, ORU, UNO
        Tier 4- IPFW, NDSU

If anything I would maybe drop UNO down a tier and push the bottom two teams into a 5th Tier. I may have been a year too early on UNO as they look a bit behind the rest in that tier. Still not convinced WIU is as good as they have shown. They need to prove it on the road. Same thing for Denver. Not convinced they can carry that offense on the road. Don’t think they come back from 15 down against USD if that game had been in Vermillion.
        Seems about right to me
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Leathernecks might come around quicker than Denver. They have 3 road games at Tulsa, Fargo, and Grand Forks. If they can get 3 in a row, Gravina will keep them closer to Tier 2. Denver has a good schedule with 4 of 6 in Denver and 1 of those road games is at PFW. Denver will stay in the Tier 2 at least in the first half of the season. North Dakota has not played well going 2-0 and they will play tougher games with Denver, SDSU, and WIU with Omaha sprinkled in. I look for WIU to get elevated to the Tier 2 as Gravina may have something perculating in Macomb.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            Leathernecks might come around quicker than Denver. They have 3 road games at Tulsa, Fargo, and Grand Forks. If they can get 3 in a row, Gravina will keep them closer to Tier 2. Denver has a good schedule with 4 of 6 in Denver and 1 of those road games is at PFW. Denver will stay in the Tier 2 at least in the first half of the season. North Dakota has not played well going 2-0 and they will play tougher games with Denver, SDSU, and WIU with Omaha sprinkled in. I look for WIU to get elevated to the Tier 2 as Gravina may have something perculating in Macomb.
            Maybe, but WIU hasn’t shown any ability to win on the road either. And Denver has what appears to be just as good a perimeter game as WIU with a progressing inside game. I suspect the gap between the SD schools and the rest will open up once these lower tier teams have to try and win on the road. But Denver has clearly sent a message that they will be a tough out at home. Interesting to see what USD runs into at Macomb. But really only see potential losses for us in both USD games and the road game at Denver. So a win Sunday I think really puts us in the drivers seat for the regular season conference title.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
              Maybe, but WIU hasn’t shown any ability to win on the road either. And Denver has what appears to be just as good a perimeter game as WIU with a progressing inside game. I suspect the gap between the SD schools and the rest will open up once these lower tier teams have to try and win on the road. But Denver has clearly sent a message that they will be a tough out at home. Interesting to see what USD runs into at Macomb. But really only see potential losses for us in both USD games and the road game at Denver. So a win Sunday I think really puts us in the drivers seat for the regular season conference title.
              I think you are right, but the possibility for a tie exists,so tie breaker rules would come into play for determining the Conference Tournament seeding and for the regular season crown, unless one of the SD schools loses in an unexpected loss, this would be highly unlikely though.

Sunday is huge.... we could be up 2 games with a win,sitting in the drivers seat as you have said, or let USD pull even with a loss by us (head to head loss). With a loss Sunday, we would still have to win against USD playing at Frost and win at Denver, to win the regular season, a loss to either gives USD the title, assuming USD wins out the rest of their schedule, but with a win Sunday, we'd only have to win one of those two games to at least tie with them, or win outright with winning both games. One things for sure, USD is in a hole and they desperately want to crawl out of it. They are in trouble and they know it. It's become a very interesting Conference season.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-05-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

The Denver men have a long ways to go to compete for the upper half of the conference. The NCAA's current NET rankings have them at #306, which is the lowest Summit men's team (Jacks are highest at 129).

Comment

WIU(1-1) gets a road opportunity today in Tulsa. If they lose there after UND defeated ORU(1-1) at home, I will need to lower expectations for the Leathernecks. Meanwhile, UND is at Denver(2-1) which should be a pounding unless Turgeon does not have his team back to earth after upsetting Yotes. I do not see the Fighting Hawks(2-0) maintaining an upper half spot.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

ORU has a free stream of the game today.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      ORU has a free stream of the game today.
                      Leathernecks give up 11 offensive boards, 13 turnovers, and only 22 fg attempts compared to ORU's 37 shots. ORU leads 35-30 at half.

Leathernecks slip a tier as they give up 23 offensive boards and 23 turnovers giving Coach Cussen her 100th career victory.
                      Last edited by OldHare; 01-05-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Leathernecks give up 11 offensive boards, 13 turnovers, and only 22 fg attempts compared to ORU's 37 shots. ORU leads 35-30 at half.

Leathernecks slip a tier as they give up 23 offensive boards and 23 turnovers giving Coach Cussen her 100th career victory.
                        I saw the game, free courtesy ORU, W. Ill looked the better team early in the 4th, but then Oru got more scrappy and started fighting harder for the win, to their credit , they got their win, not the prettiest though.

Comment

And WIU had a 26-13 foul advantage and still lost. Just can’t see them consistently winning when they are getting killed on the glass game in and game out.

Comment

Omaha 78 NDSU 61. Bison(1-3) snuggle close to PFW(0-3).

Comment

There are 2 other teams move to 3-1 tonight. Fighting Hawks win against Mavs 68-57. The Golden Eagles thump Mastodons at Ft Wayne 72-61. ORU visits Brookings Saturday.

Comment

UND won without Klabo and Morton, so have to say that UNO is quite a bit worse than I thought they would be.

Comment

Working...
                                X