Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit MBB 2018-19 conference

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    It's disappointing whats happening to college basketball.The gap between the haves and have nots continues to widen. Even star DII players moving up to mid-majors. FCS football seems more interesting.
    There are more than 600 players in the men's basketball transfer portal. Percentage wise that seems to be way higher than the number that transfer in football and women's basketball. Anyone have any thoughts on reasons why the transfer numbers are so dramatically different ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      There are more than 600 players in the men's basketball transfer portal. Percentage wise that seems to be way higher than the number that transfer in football and women's basketball. Anyone have any thoughts on reasons why the transfer numbers are so dramatically different ?
      Any mid major thinks their going to be the next Matt Mooney. Guys will transfer and hope they get lucky in a new spot and team. All I know is I dont like it. If a coach is fired or family hardship is about all I agree with. NCAA doesn't care as long as it's good for the power schools.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This is the reason that I really hope hendo focuses his recruiting on South Dakota kids first. I’d rather take a local kid who is much more likely to stay loyal to the program for the duration of college than have kids from all over the country only to transfer out if they are good or if they aren’t getting much playing time. I know we have had success with non local kids before but that trend is going to start becoming few and far between (or already has)

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
          This is the reason that I really hope hendo focuses his recruiting on South Dakota kids first. I’d rather take a local kid who is much more likely to stay loyal to the program for the duration of college than have kids from all over the country only to transfer out if they are good or if they aren’t getting much playing time. Those can be found anywhere in the Midwest and abroad. I know we have had success with non local kids before but that trend is going to start becoming few and far between (or already has)
          If we focus on filling our roster with just kids from SD, we are going to live in the bottom half of the SL. We just need to find kids that will stick around and not venture for greener pastures. Not an exact science to do that but if you make it hard for them to leave because of the intangibles in your program, that is about all you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            If we focus on filling our roster with just kids from SD, we are going to live in the bottom half of the SL. We just need to find kids that will stick around and not venture for greener pastures. Not an exact science to do that but if you make it hard for them to leave because of the intangibles in your program, that is about all you can do.
            I think the wolters years. We had several sd kids and local kids and those teams were pretty solid. I think we need to stay in the quad state region for most of our talent but still venture out.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              Agree. We also have to remember that if we didnt lose our HC we wouldn't be having this conversation. In the current age that we are in when it comes to basketball, kids are committing to coaches and not schools. If we can get a coach that is happy and stays around for awhile, we might see some of the transfers slow down.

Of course, if I'm a college basketball player and one of the big boys come calling it may not matter who the coach is at the time. We just need to learn to take any of these talented kids for granted when we watch them at Frost/DJD.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
              X