2 USD
    3. Denver
    4. PFW
    5. NDSU
    6. ORU
    7. UND
    8. Omaha
    9. WIU

This is the preseason line for the conference. Does this still appear accurate after the OOC? I think the Mavs and Leathernecks may lift a bit higher at ORU, UND, & NDSU expense. The Yotes may need to improve quickly to stay in the #2 spot too. Friday begins the season with higher rated teams on the road which means that these teams have must win games. SDSU @ WIU USD @ NDSU Denver @ Omaha PFW @ UND require the home teams to lose. Right now the blue and yellow glasses have the Jackrabbits with a win and 3 not sure about the visiting team. Who will be the team to emerge to stay at the top of the conference with the Jackrabbits. It does not look the same as the years where 4 losses(winning half of the road games) will win the regular season conference. The start of his tread is a result not enough games to watch.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: Summit MBB 2018-19 conference

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    1. SDSU
    2 USD
    3. Denver
    4. PFW
    5. NDSU
    6. ORU
    7. UND
    8. Omaha
    9. WIU

This is the preseason line for the conference. Does this still appear accurate after the OOC? I think the Mavs and Leathernecks may lift a bit higher at ORU, UND, & NDSU expense. The Yotes may need to improve quickly to stay in the #2 spot too. Friday begins the season with higher rated teams on the road which means that these teams have must win games. SDSU @ WIU USD @ NDSU Denver @ Omaha PFW @ UND require the home teams to lose. Right now the blue and yellow glasses have the Jackrabbits with a win and 3 not sure about the visiting team. Who will be the team to emerge to stay at the top of the conference with the Jackrabbits. It does not look the same as the years where 4 losses(winning half of the road games) will win the regular season conference. The start of his tread is a result not enough games to watch.
    Will be interesting. I wonder if spots 2 thru 9 will even be 50% correct in the end?

Comment

I doubt that USD will amount to much this year. With that said they still could be pushing for a upper seed.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
        I doubt that USD will amount to much this year. With that said they still could be pushing for a upper seed.
        The rest of the summit is so down this year usd is really solid chance go be #2. Frankly how we ended non conference I think teams saw a blue print to beat us. Dont out score us but out tough/work us. If that makes sense. Flatten and djj need to be 15-20 a game and daum needs 25-30 agame for us to clean house in conference. On paper we should be favorites to win with talent. But toughness and effort aren't measured on paper.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          The rest of the summit is so down this year usd is really solid chance go be #2. Frankly how we ended non conference I think teams saw a blue print to beat us. Dont out score us but out tough/work us. If that makes sense. Flatten and djj need to be 15-20 a game and daum needs 25-30 agame for us to clean house in conference. On paper we should be favorites to win with talent. But toughness and effort aren't measured on paper.
          A blueprint on how to beat SDSU is great to have, but you also need the horses to pull it off. I dont think there is a team in conference that has that level of talent. USD may have the players to be physical, but they don't have the guys to stay with the Jacks offensively.

The only teams that can beat SDSU is themselves. If the guys stay close to their averages in points and don't shoot themselves in the foot, we should go into the conference tournament unbeaten . I also think our freshman will get a ton of playing time.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

There should be an indication of the toughness as the conference begins with 3 road games in 10 days. Ft Wayne and Vermillion are included in that swing on Jan 3 and Jan 6. The first game in Macomb on Friday could be a tussle too with Gilbeck liking to play physical. 3-0 would be commanding at that point.
            Last edited by OldHare; 12-27-2018, 06:13 AM.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Oh how the times have changed. According to this post, SDSU needs their top 3 scorers to score about 60 points a game for us to clean house in the conference. I think 60 is a little high but not by much. You have T. Kings 9 points and around 6 points from the freshmen. I might be off a little bit but it sure seems like that.
              The only way I see SDSU struggling is either foul trouble or DJJ having one of his 2-7, 2-9, 4-12, 5-12, 6-16 games. I guess it could be a combination of both. I do think one of the freshmen could step it up here or there but counting on them is really ricky right now. The last couple of years we have been scoring in the low 80's. We probably don't need that in most of our conference games but we might in some of them.
              I would like to see more effort and toughness, too. You are right that with the first 3 conference games on the road. With them being against Gilbeck, @IPFW and @USD we will find a lot out about that right away.
              I like aggressiveness but just putting your head down and getting called for a charge is not being aggressive. I guess if we don't play physical defense we can afford to get called for a couple/few charges a game. I saw that defensive chain but I really don't know if our defense has improved that much.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                Oh how the times have changed. According to this post, SDSU needs their top 3 scorers to score about 60 points a game for us to clean house in the conference. I think 60 is a little high but not by much. You have T. Kings 9 points and around 6 points from the freshmen. I might be off a little bit but it sure seems like that.
                The only way I see SDSU struggling is either foul trouble or DJJ having one of his 2-7, 2-9, 4-12, 5-12, 6-16 games. I guess it could be a combination of both. I do think one of the freshmen could step it up here or there but counting on them is really ricky right now. The last couple of years we have been scoring in the low 80's. We probably don't need that in most of our conference games but we might in some of them.
                I would like to see more effort and toughness, too. You are right that with the first 3 conference games on the road. With them being against Gilbeck, @IPFW and @USD we will find a lot out about that right away.
                I like aggressiveness but just putting your head down and getting called for a charge is not being aggressive. I guess if we don't play physical defense we can afford to get called for a couple/few charges a game. I saw that defensive chain but I really don't know if our defense has improved that much.
                Why I think that is because we dont have any other consistent scoring options. I would guess tevin will be better scoring in league play.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It's evident from some of the pre-conference games that putting the squeeze on Daum with multiple defenders is one way to beat the Jacks. When he gets in foul trouble with charges and other violations, other scorers have to take advantage. The challenge goes beyond Jenkins and Flatten to other starters and top reserves. They're capable.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

I think this team will go as far as the freshmen take them. If we can get 1, hopefully 2 to step up and be a consistent threat to score, we will be really good and a legit threat in March. In OOC games, if the freshman scored less than 15 points combined, we needed a huge effort from either Daum, Jenkins or Flatten.

Freshmen contributions in Losses (9 ppg, not including Nevada):

Montana - 2 pts
                    Nevada - 28 pts*** (this is the exception and still proves the point, because the only reason we were in this game was because of the freshmen contributions)
                    Memphis - 12
                    Tulane - 10
                    FGCU - 12

Freshman contributions in Wins (18.3 ppg):

EWU - 4*** (Daum 27, Flatten 20, this is the reason that game was so close the whole way when it shouldn't have been)
                    Sav. St. - 35
                    Southern - 14 (Daum 42)
                    UNI - 21
                    UMKC - 28
                    Col. St. - 16 (Jenkins 32)
                    UTSA - 12 (Daum 41, Flatten 28)
                    Bemidji - 20
                    Ala. St. - 20
                    GCU - 13 (Jenkins 31)

It's clear that if the freshman don't score at least 15 points, either Daum, Jenkins, or Flatten are going to have to score at least 10 above their average for us to still win the game. The problem is, that's not always going to be the case, especially if a team does a good job of guarding those 3. Like many have said, this shouldn't be as much of a problem in conference play, because SL teams don't have the horses to guard all 3 of our main scorers, sometimes they only have enough to stop 1 of them.

Imo, we need Owen King to be more aggresive because when he's going to the bucket, good things happen. Also, Arians needs to contribute more if he's getting the minutes he has been getting. I know you need role player guys, which he does well, but if he's going to play 21 minutes like he did against Montana and not even get a shot up, that's a problem. I would rather have Krueger or Dentlinger get those minutes, because they're at least willing shooters if they get the ball and are open.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      I think this team will go as far as the freshmen take them. If we can get 1, hopefully 2 to step up and be a consistent threat to score, we will be really good and a legit threat in March. In OOC games, if the freshman scored less than 15 points combined, we needed a huge effort from either Daum, Jenkins or Flatten.

Freshmen contributions in Losses (9 ppg, not including Nevada):

Montana - 2 pts
                      Nevada - 28 pts*** (this is the exception and still proves the point, because the only reason we were in this game was because of the freshmen contributions)
                      Memphis - 12
                      Tulane - 10
                      FGCU - 12

Freshman contributions in Wins (18.3 ppg):

EWU - 4*** (Daum 27, Flatten 20, this is the reason that game was so close the whole way when it shouldn't have been)
                      Sav. St. - 35
                      Southern - 14 (Daum 42)
                      UNI - 21
                      UMKC - 28
                      Col. St. - 16 (Jenkins 32)
                      UTSA - 12 (Daum 41, Flatten 28)
                      Bemidji - 20
                      Ala. St. - 20
                      GCU - 13 (Jenkins 31)

It's clear that if the freshman don't score at least 15 points, either Daum, Jenkins, or Flatten are going to have to score at least 10 above their average for us to still win the game. The problem is, that's not always going to be the case, especially if a team does a good job of guarding those 3. Like many have said, this shouldn't be as much of a problem in conference play, because SL teams don't have the horses to guard all 3 of our main scorers, sometimes they only have enough to stop 1 of them.

Imo, we need Owen King to be more aggresive because when he's going to the bucket, good things happen. Also, Arians needs to contribute more if he's getting the minutes he has been getting. I know you need role player guys, which he does well, but if he's going to play 21 minutes like he did against Montana and not even get a shot up, that's a problem. I would rather have Krueger or Dentlinger get those minutes, because they're at least willing shooters if they get the ball and are open.
                      Krueger leads the team in 3pt percentage. I think the reason he doesn't get more minutes is he looks LOST on defense about 1/2 the time.

Comment

Summit MBB 2018-19 conference

Agree about the freshmen being key and they have a ways to go as far as allowing us to blow through the Summit schedule. I’m expecting a 2-1 start to the schedule. Three straight road games will be a test, especially when the group includes Vermillion and FW. We’re looking very good compared to the rest of the conference but I think we all had higher hopes a few months ago.

Comment

Yeah let’s just figure out a way to get the reg season title and secure a 1 seed. Have a feeling it will be closer than expected. Not sure who will challenge us but someone will.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                            Yeah let’s just figure out a way to get the reg season title and secure a 1 seed. Have a feeling it will be closer than expected. Not sure who will challenge us but someone will.
                            My guess/gut feeling is that the main challenger will wind up being Denver. Just a hunch.

Edit: I see that Omaha has found something and has 3 straight D-1 wins. The Mavs could be a contender.

I have trouble seeing anyone who can lose a game to UMKC as a serious challenger.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              My guess/gut feeling is that the main challenger will wind up being Denver. Just a hunch.

Edit: I see that Omaha has found something and has 3 straight D-1 wins. The Mavs could be a contender.

I have trouble seeing anyone who can lose a game to UMKC as a serious challenger.
                              We lost to 4-8 Tulane and 5-9 FGCU, I wouldn't go casting too many stones...

Comment

Working...
                              X