Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit MBB 2018-19 conference

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Does the Summit League just randomly schedule some games on Sundays, or do host schools have the ability to request Sunday games ?
    The yotes had some interest last week on Sunday as the women played. The 2nd game for the men was not so popular. It was very surprising that so many fans bailed before the tip for the men. The fans seem to have lowered their expectations for the MBB team. Injuries and player defections give Lee a bigger hill to climb.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      The yotes had some interest last week on Sunday as the women played. The 2nd game for the men was not so popular. It was very surprising that so many fans bailed before the tip for the men. The fans seem to have lowered their expectations for the MBB team. Injuries and player defections give Lee a bigger hill to climb.
      I was there, other than the student section it was realistically a sellout for the women. But we were all amazed too at the coyote fans that bailed on the mens team.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
        I was there, other than the student section it was realistically a sellout for the women. But we were all amazed too at the coyote fans that bailed on the mens team.
        I do not doubt the sellout. There were a fair number of season ticket no shows that everyone experiences. Looking at the sections behind the teams and the corners of those sides one could see considerable gaps that I assumed would be filled for the men's game. The GA section on the home end was quite full and the student section was empty on the top half. However, the reference points were lost when the fans bailed early and I am not sure if the assumed season ticket seats filled for the men. It is too nice an arena to be so empty for a game against a conference leader.

Also, it would be a great transfer to get is Umude as he is a player.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I do not doubt the sellout. There were a fair number of season ticket no shows that everyone experiences. Looking at the sections behind the teams and the corners of those sides one could see considerable gaps that I assumed would be filled for the men's game. The GA section on the home end was quite full and the student section was empty on the top half. However, the reference points were lost when the fans bailed early and I am not sure if the assumed season ticket seats filled for the men. It is too nice an arena to be so empty for a game against a conference leader.

Also, it would be a great transfer to get is Umude as he is a player.
          I agree with you on all the points. The only thing I would say about the arena is with the low ceiling it gets really warm u on the concourse level. I'm sure when they have "1800" there it is fine. Not at capacity though. I have no idea if it was a design flaw or lack of thermostat operation?

Comment

I agree with you on all the points. The only thing I would say about the arena is with the low ceiling it gets really warm u on the concourse level. I'm sure when they have "1800" there it is fine. Not at capacity though. I have no idea if it was a design flaw or lack of thermostat operation?
            The story I have heard is an engineering mistake where the arena could not be any deeper which created lower ceiling and no center scoreboard.

Comment

The story I have heard is an engineering mistake where the arena could not be any deeper which created lower ceiling and no center scoreboard.
              Should have had a SDSU grad do it for them! I realize Frost is older compared to every other arena I've been to. But I still like it. It really sucked not having the center scoreboard when you are used to it. "first world poblems"!

Comment

I will go off on a tangent for a second. Why in the hell cant they leave the top two levels not pulled out so we have more than a 3' wide concourse on the south side? Are they trying to piss everyone off to justify a remodel? I personally like the unused mens bathroom in the SE corner though.

Comment

I heard from a USD fan that they cut 5-7 feet off the height on the building to save costs. Don't know the accuracy of his information, but that's what he told me when I asked why there was no center hanging scoreboard.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    I heard from a USD fan that they cut 5-7 feet off the height on the building to save costs. Don't know the accuracy of his information, but that's what he told me when I asked why there was no center hanging scoreboard.
                    Whether the height was due to water table and depth of digging or late minute dollar savings, it is too short for a center scoreboard. That is definitely the result.

Comment

I was also at the doubleheader last sunday...and am now watching the replay of the PFW @ USD game played today. I see USD PA guy and video board guys did not do any of the antics they did last sunday....("NO GOOD" on missed PFW free throws, cheesy gifs on the video boards when fouls either went their way, or against them...) I haven't made it far enough into the game to see if PA guys screams "FOUR FOULS" on a PFW guy yet....those must be things they save for when SDSU comes to town.

At last weeks game, my kid and I were in the concession line when the mens game started. My dad, watching on tv, texted me wondering where everyone went....I told him everyone was at concessions, because we got in line with about 5 minutes left before tip-off and didn't get to our seats until there was 15 minutes left in the half, about 25 minutes in line....I was stunned when we got to our seats to see a half empty bowl. It was like everyone went from concessions to their cars. Very bizarre.

Also, after seeing that exodus for the mens game, I'm not surprised by the poor attendance today (no way there were 1800.)
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

As someone who lived through the mid-sixties when both SDSU and USD had mediocre programs (with the exception of Jack Theeler), I can't imagine how much fan interest in USD has deteriorated (as far as students, probably every place I know). Bad teams but flying mammals and rolling outhouses made it fun to go to Vermillion. The 'Yotes have been decimated this year but it does no good to have the fans bail. Kind of like Missouri State football where every student leaves after finding out who the homecoming queen is.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          I was also at the doubleheader last sunday...and am now watching the replay of the PFW @ USD game played today. I see USD PA guy and video board guys did not do any of the antics they did last sunday....("NO GOOD" on missed PFW free throws, cheesy gifs on the video boards when fouls either went their way, or against them...) I haven't made it far enough into the game to see if PA guys screams "FOUR FOULS" on a PFW guy yet....those must be things they save for when SDSU comes to town.

At last weeks game, my kid and I were in the concession line when the mens game started. My dad, watching on tv, texted me wondering where everyone went....I told him everyone was at concessions, because we got in line with about 5 minutes left before tip-off and didn't get to our seats until there was 15 minutes left in the half, about 25 minutes in line....I was stunned when we got to our seats to see a half empty bowl. It was like everyone went from concessions to their cars. Very bizarre.

Also, after seeing that exodus for the mens game, I'm not surprised by the poor attendance today (no way there were 1800.)
                          Go figure. I was certain they were only doing the "NO GOOD" PA announcement on missed FTs because we were in town. Thank you for confirming it! Such a USD thing to do. SMH......

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            Go figure. I was certain they were only doing the "NO GOOD" PA announcement on missed FTs because we were in town. Thank you for confirming it! Such a USD thing to do. SMH......
                            I guess it's not surprising. Even so, one must resist (I know, it's hard) judging all USD fans by the antics of their PA guy. I think there were plenty of USD fans who thought the PA guy's comments were low class.

There will be no reciprocal comments when USD plays at SDSU. Our PA announcer is a professional (his professionalism gets him the invite to be the PA guy for the Summit League Championships every year).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I guess it's not surprising. Even so, one must resist (I know, it's hard) judging all USD fans by the antics of their PA guy. I think there were plenty of USD fans who thought the PA guy's comments were low class.

There will be no reciprocal comments when USD plays at SDSU. Our PA announcer is a professional (his professionalism gets him the invite to be the PA guy for the Summit League Championships every year).
                              Honestly, I hope they continue to do things like this and act like they did in the FB game. Recruits with half a brain will see this and run far, far away!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

USED is too sophisticated for us. After all they are the oldest university in the Dakotas 1862, even though classes didn’t start until 1882.

Comment

Working...
                                X