Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit MBB 2018-19 conference

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    It would be impressive if UNO wins 3 on the road and 8 straight to end the season. That would be winning 13 of the last 14 (and 17 of the last 19) after starting the season 3-7. They would definitely have earned the 1 seed.
    They are surprisingly turning heads in the Omaha community too. I had a 1:30 meeting with a couple of Omaha bankers and other business leaders and they all commented that the Creighton and Husker brands have been tarnished this year with the performances of their respective performances. They all commented how they may need to start wearing Maverick wear and one was at the SDSU/UNO game and was very impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I have a serious question that I am wondering if somebody can help me out with.
      How big of a indoor stadium could SDSU have built for the same amount of money that they spent on their outdoor stadium? I know it depend on all the bells and whistles but just a general figure.
      SDSU averaged about 10,200 fans for their 7 home games. If they built an indoor stadium, would they have had more total fans it all 7 games were sellouts?
      Thank you to anyone that can clear this up "some" for me.
      If this has been brought up before I'm sorry for repeating it but I missed it if it was.
      Hard to say for sure what the cost for an indoor stadium would be, but if you look at the Alerus in Gramd Forks, it holds 13,500 and was constructed between 1998-2001 for $80 million. That would be $113 million in 2018 dollars. Now this also included convention center space, so not totally apples to apples. The Dykhouse cost $65 million, so I’m guessing we would have been luck to get over 10,000 capacity in a new indoor stadium. Adding a roof and enclosing a space would have been incredibly expensive to construct, as well as significantly more expensive to maintain and operate (think about just heating and cooling).

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
        Hard to say for sure what the cost for an indoor stadium would be, but if you look at the Alerus in Gramd Forks, it holds 13,500 and was constructed between 1998-2001 for $80 million. That would be $113 million in 2018 dollars. Now this also included convention center space, so not totally apples to apples. The Dykhouse cost $65 million, so I’m guessing we would have been luck to get over 10,000 capacity in a new indoor stadium. Adding a roof and enclosing a space would have been incredibly expensive to construct, as well as significantly more expensive to maintain and operate (think about just heating and cooling).
        NDSU was very fortunate to have the City of Fargo involved in the Fargo Dome. With the population of Brookings being less than 25,000, a town and gown project such as a 20,000 seat indoor stadium is not possible. City Sales tax made the FargoDome a reality during the construction phase and financed with non-athletic events to cover the excessive heating and cooling during the year. Now if SDSU moved down the road about 60 miles, game on. This notion should get some reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          They are surprisingly turning heads in the Omaha community too. I had a 1:30 meeting with a couple of Omaha bankers and other business leaders and they all commented that the Creighton and Husker brands have been tarnished this year with the performances of their respective performances. They all commented how they may need to start wearing Maverick wear and one was at the SDSU/UNO game and was very impressed.
          This. Sitting next to some Mav's fans, I mentioned that I hated the loss but it was good for the conference. I've been told in earlier visits that Omaha left the MIAA because it couldn't compete in football. I think everyone now thinks the decision to go DI was a good one and Omaha is going to be one of the strong players in the conference. Unlike my trips to Tulsa and Macomb I feel good about my experiences in Omaha. Even when we lose.

Comment

While I'm feeling bad about WIU, let me quote this clip from the WIU fan forum (USD game)-- something is wrong here:

"There were 5 Western cheerleaders when the game started. There were only 3 cheerleaders at the end of the game. And there were no cheerleaders for the Women's game that followed.

Attendance at Western Hall = 591 which made it the largest crowd of the year for a Men's game."

Comment

Fyi, Omaha is a 2 point underdog today at NDSU. I'll definitely have my eye on that score while watching the Jacks trounce the yotes.

Comment

Omaha down 8 at the half but if the jacks don’t wake up it won’t matter

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                  Omaha down 8 at the half but if the jacks don’t wake up it won’t matter
                  Still didn't matter. Ndsu mustered a whole 20 points in the 2nd half. Omaha's defense isnt that good or did ndsu come back down to earth.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Still didn't matter. Ndsu mustered a whole 20 points in the 2nd half. Omaha's defense isnt that good or did ndsu come back down to earth.
                    Two baskets in the last 11 minutes, two points in the last five plus minutes. I looked at the live stats and they were up 48-39 with about 6 minutes left and I thought they had it in the bag. Sounds like they pulled the bag over their heads instead.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Two baskets in the last 11 minutes, two points in the last five plus minutes. I looked at the live stats and they were up 48-39 with about 6 minutes left and I thought they had it in the bag. Sounds like they pulled the bag over their heads instead.
                      If it was usd I would have figured they did it because they didn't want us to get the 1 seed. If Omaha was going to lose agame it was that one. Right now the road through 1st seed looks much better. But any upsets in the tournament and the easy route doesn't look as easy. Maybe fw loses first round.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I don't know, they beat SDSU so many times there for awhile, I kinda like to see NDSU lose, regardless if it means we end up the 2 seed.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Omaha lose at ORU or Denver anyhow. Ok, maybe I'd be surprised if they lost at Denver.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw578k7vFIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmZJnpM3sX0
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Wiu wins at home over ORU. 2 games ahead of Denver. Denver appears to be sitting out the SLT.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              Wiu wins at home over ORU. 2 games ahead of Denver. Denver appears to be sitting out the SLT.
                              Denver has quit for the year.
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I must have missed it. Assuming SDSU and Omaha win out, why are we the 2 seed? We have a common loss to each other but our other loss is to a higher "ranked" team in FW than Omaha's loss to ORU? It is what it is, but it seems dumb to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X