Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit MBB 2018-19 conference

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    I must have missed it. Assuming SDSU and Omaha win out, why are we the 2 seed? We have a common loss to each other but our other loss is to a higher "ranked" team in FW than Omaha's loss to ORU? It is what it is, but it seems dumb to me.
    Omaha swept Fort Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Omaha swept Fort Wayne.
      I guess they look at it the other way than I do. We swept ORU. They value quality wins more than bad losses. Tit for tat deal I suppose.

Comment

I must have missed it. Assuming SDSU and Omaha win out, why are we the 2 seed? We have a common loss to each other but our other loss is to a higher "ranked" team in FW than Omaha's loss to ORU? It is what it is, but it seems dumb to me.
        If a team is tied in the standings and head to head is tied as well, they look at each team's record against the next highest seeded team. If that's FW, Omaha beat them twice, we went 1-1. If that's NDSU, we both beat them twice, so then it would go down to the next seed which would be FW and again Omaha has the edge. The only way we get the 1 seed is if Omaha slips up against ORU or Denver. Pretty sure they locked in the 1 seed tonight. Thanks a lot NDSU (granted, we could have done something on our own about it and don't look like we deserve the 1 seed anyway). Now we'll likely have to face both FW and Omaha on the way to another SL title.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          If a team is tied in the standings and head to head is tied as well, they look at each team's record against the next highest seeded team. If that's FW, Omaha beat them twice, we went 1-1. If that's NDSU, we both beat them twice, so then it would go down to the next seed which would be FW and again Omaha has the edge. The only way we get the 1 seed is if Omaha slips up against ORU or Denver. Pretty sure they locked in the 1 seed tonight. Thanks a lot NDSU (granted, we could have done something on our own about it and don't look like we deserve the 1 seed anyway). Now we'll likely have to face both FW and Omaha on the way to another SL title.
          I see what you guys are saying. It seems odd that there is no real punishment for losing to a "crappy" team. Per their rules.

Comment

I guess they look at it the other way than I do. We swept ORU. They value quality wins more than bad losses. Tit for tat deal I suppose.
            I mean, it is the same exact way that every major basketball conference seeds their tournament...

Comment

I mean, it is the same exact way that every major basketball conference seeds their tournament...
              That's fine. I'm not really shook up about it. It just seems backwards to me. Let's move our focus to tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                Coming down to the end of the season and here is what lies ahead.

1. SDSU 12-2 (USD, Western Ill.)
                2. UNO 11-2 (@ NDSU, @ ORU, Denver)
                3. PFW 9-5 (UND, NDSU)
                4. NDSU 8-5 (UNO, @USD, @PFW)
                5. ORU 6-8 (@W Ill, UNO)
                6. USD 5-8 (@ SDSU, NDSU, UND)
                7. UND 4-9 (Den, @PFW, @USD)
                8. W Ill. 3-10 (ORU, @Den, @SDSU)
                9. Den 2-11 (@NDSU, W Ill, UNO)

Lots of key matchups to close the regular season. Obviously we'd like to win the outright conference championship and the #1 seed, but need to close out and get some help.
                UNO has a tough road stretch, but could go 3-0 and get the #1 seed for the tourney.
                PFW is in the driver's seat for the #3 seed.
                NDSU needs one win to lock up #4, but could go 0-3 to close out the season.
                ORU could finish at 8-8 to potentially tie NDSU, but don't bet on it.
                USD could go 2-1 to close out the season and potentially tie ORU in standings.
                UND is nearly locked in for the tourney and could lock it up with a victory at home against Denver.
                Big game for Western Illinois at Denver. Denver must win that for a chance to go to Sioux Falls.
                The game between ORU and Omaha will be an interesting one. If ORU wins, SDSU can win the conference by beating Western Illinois. A win by Omaha would drop ORU to 6-10. That means ORU can either by tied or possibly passed by USD or UND.
                USD has both UND and NDSU at home. If they win both of them and ORU loses to Omaha, USD could jump to the 5 seed.
                UND is @ Fort Wayne and @ USD so I don't see them winning both.
                Denver will probably lose to Omaha but they will need to beat them and Western Illinois to make the tournament. Of course, that would require SDSU to beat Western Illinois, too.
                The 1 seed is best because SDSU would probably have NDSU, Oral Roberts and either Western Illinois or Denver.
                If SDSU was the 2 seed they would have Fort Wayne, Oral Roberts and UND on their side. I don't like Fort Wayne out of all the teams listed about.
                This is just my guess.
                Last edited by 91jack; 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Let's go ORU. They're 3.5 point underdogs tonight against Omaha, who has played a lot of close games but have got away with wins in most of them so far.

Comment

Let's go ORU. They're 3.5 point underdogs tonight against Omaha, who has played a lot of close games but have got away with wins in most of them so far.
                    ORU can't get healthy. Nzekwesi back, and now Kearns is injured again. Going to be tough to beat Omaha without their PG.

Comment

South Dakota/NDSU will have their doubleheader on Midco starting at 5:30. ORU/Omaha doubleheader is likely available on the ORU team website starting at 5 for women. PFW/UND women start at 4 ahead of men. Denver/WIU women go at 1pm and the men come on at 8pm. Doubleheaders galore to end the conference season.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        South Dakota/NDSU will have their doubleheader on Midco starting at 5:30. ORU/Omaha doubleheader is likely available on the ORU team website starting at 5 for women. PFW/UND women start at 4 ahead of men. Denver/WIU women go at 1pm and the men come on at 8pm. Doubleheaders galore to end the conference season.
                        Surprised to see all the doubleheaders on a weeknight. Can't remember seeing much of that before. You have to think that hurts the attendance for the women's games.

Comment

That place down south is looking pretty empty!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            That place down south is looking pretty empty!
                            If I had to watch Sjerven flailing around on the floor all the time I'd quit coming too. She's decent player but it gets old.

Comment

Refs didn't seem to care probably 4 travels on usd that were more then obvious that were not called.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Reading the dog board, when did they expunge a loss and create a win? It is quite entertaining for me that a program of that caliber has such little support on a "normal" night, yet the dogs claim they are top tier.

Comment

Working...
                                X