X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit MBB 2018-19 conference

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Or you could compare gate receipts.
    For example here is FY18: https://www.sdbor.edu/administrative...eticReport.pdf
    I've always thought this should get exposed more than it does by the media. That is a laughable comparison if you are anything associated with USD.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      I've always thought this should get exposed more than it does by the media. That is a laughable comparison if you are anything associated with USD.
      The problem lies within the accounting practices used as there are multiple ways to show certain numbers, much like a tax return. I look at corporate financial statements and tax returns often. Unless you are on the board or have it explained by the University, there is no way to truly know what each line item entails. I am not surprised the gate is lower, but by that amount is staggering.

There are also other line items that seem weird to me. SDSU doesn't get any money from sports camps and usd doesn't sell programs? Whenever I see even numbers on reports I take with a slight grain of salt as well knowing it is an approximation. I also notice a stadium lease of $2.5M a year for the Jacks. I was not aware of this. The biggest number to look at is SDSU brought in $4.5M more than usd last year.
      Last edited by JacksFTW; 02-21-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

After learning that the dome has actually held 7-7.5k this whole time instead of the 10,000 claimed AND given the yotes history of iffy attendance and inflated attendance figures, none of this is surprising.

Comment

P
          Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
          The problem lies within the accounting practices used as there are multiple ways to show certain numbers, much like a tax return. I look at corporate financial statements and tax returns often. Unless you are on the board or have it explained by the University, there is no way to truly know what each line item entails. I am not surprised the gate is lower, but by that amount is staggering.

There are also other line items that seem weird to me. SDSU doesn't get any money from sports camps and usd doesn't sell programs? Whenever I see even numbers on reports I take with a slight grain of salt as well knowing it is an approximation. I also notice a stadium lease of $2.5M a year for the Jacks. I was not aware of this. The biggest number to look at is SDSU brought in $4.5M more than usd last year.
          Yes,that stadium lease line item confuses me.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
            P

Yes,that stadium lease line item confuses me.
            Bond payment maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post

What would alarm me as a USD student is the amount of general activity fees and general funds used for a university with less students. It’s quite frankly out of control. It’s what the regents feared would happen at SDSU.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I know accounting can differ between various organizations, but I found this funny.

USD income sources

Gate receipts/concessions/program sales: $1,031,565
                Laundry/copier/printing/office stores/reimbursements: $506,250

Maybe they've found their niche in the athletic department. The second line item has to be much more profitable.
                (I probably should be focusing these comments to the smack thread.)

Comment

The line item of corporate sponsorship dollars is shocking as well:

SDSU: $1,920,121
                  USD: $50,799

Comment

Can't blame the corporate sponsors... Way more bang for your buck in terms of exposure at SDSU due to larger attendance numbers. Plus, I'm sure most companies just don't want their brand associated with USD in general.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                      or or you could compare it to the reported 3042 at your football playoff game where maybe 1200 were there in a stadium that’s new and holds 19,340. Not a great attendance for a playoff game in such a nice new stadium
                      I have a serious question that I am wondering if somebody can help me out with.
                      How big of a indoor stadium could SDSU have built for the same amount of money that they spent on their outdoor stadium? I know it depend on all the bells and whistles but just a general figure.
                      SDSU averaged about 10,200 fans for their 7 home games. If they built an indoor stadium, would they have had more total fans it all 7 games were sellouts?
                      Thank you to anyone that can clear this up "some" for me.
                      If this has been brought up before I'm sorry for repeating it but I missed it if it was.

Comment

Coming down to the end of the season and here is what lies ahead.

1. SDSU 12-2 (USD, Western Ill.)
                        2. UNO 11-2 (@ NDSU, @ ORU, Denver)
                        3. PFW 9-5 (UND, NDSU)
                        4. NDSU 8-5 (UNO, @USD, @PFW)
                        5. ORU 6-8 (@W Ill, UNO)
                        6. USD 5-8 (@ SDSU, NDSU, UND)
                        7. UND 4-9 (Den, @PFW, @USD)
                        8. W Ill. 3-10 (ORU, @Den, @SDSU)
                        9. Den 2-11 (@NDSU, W Ill, UNO)

Lots of key matchups to close the regular season. Obviously we'd like to win the outright conference championship and the #1 seed, but need to close out and get some help.
                        UNO has a tough road stretch, but could go 3-0 and get the #1 seed for the tourney.
                        PFW is in the driver's seat for the #3 seed.
                        NDSU needs one win to lock up #4, but could go 0-3 to close out the season.
                        ORU could finish at 8-8 to potentially tie NDSU, but don't bet on it.
                        USD could go 2-1 to close out the season and potentially tie ORU in standings.
                        UND is nearly locked in for the tourney and could lock it up with a victory at home against Denver.
                        Big game for Western Illinois at Denver. Denver must win that for a chance to go to Sioux Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                          I have a serious question that I am wondering if somebody can help me out with.
                          How big of a indoor stadium could SDSU have built for the same amount of money that they spent on their outdoor stadium? I know it depend on all the bells and whistles but just a general figure.
                          SDSU averaged about 10,200 fans for their 7 home games. If they built an indoor stadium, would they have had more total fans it all 7 games were sellouts?
                          Thank you to anyone that can clear this up "some" for me.
                          If this has been brought up before I'm sorry for repeating it but I missed it if it was.
                          Lots of snow and with the high winds this Saturday we could expect some serious drifting. Still not as much as this thread drift. Previous post is my attempt to get this discussion back on Summit League basketball.

Comment

The yotes can give us crap all they want about being a cow college, however if you look at the corporate advertising at our athletic venues and listen to the ads during a Jackrabbit broadcast there is a significant investment being made by agri-business.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                              Coming down to the end of the season and here is what lies ahead.

1. SDSU 12-2 (USD, Western Ill.)
                              2. UNO 11-2 (@ NDSU, @ ORU, Denver)
                              3. PFW 9-5 (UND, NDSU)
                              4. NDSU 8-5 (UNO, @USD, @PFW)
                              5. ORU 6-8 (@W Ill, UNO)
                              6. USD 5-8 (@ SDSU, NDSU, UND)
                              7. UND 4-9 (Den, @PFW, @USD)
                              8. W Ill. 3-10 (ORU, @Den, @SDSU)
                              9. Den 2-11 (@NDSU, W Ill, UNO)

Lots of key matchups to close the regular season. Obviously we'd like to win the outright conference championship and the #1 seed, but need to close out and get some help.
                              UNO has a tough road stretch, but could go 3-0 and get the #1 seed for the tourney.
                              PFW is in the driver's seat for the #3 seed.
                              NDSU needs one win to lock up #4, but could go 0-3 to close out the season.
                              ORU could finish at 8-8 to potentially tie NDSU, but don't bet on it.
                              USD could go 2-1 to close out the season and potentially tie ORU in standings.
                              UND is nearly locked in for the tourney and could lock it up with a victory at home against Denver.
                              Big game for Western Illinois at Denver. Denver must win that for a chance to go to Sioux Falls.
                              Omaha's final game is at Denver. I will be surprised if Omaha wins out.It will be interesting to see if the Pioneers have any will to stay out of the cellar.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                Omaha's final game is at Denver. I will be surprised if Omaha wins out.It will be interesting to see if the Pioneers have any will to stay out of the cellar.
                                It would be impressive if UNO wins 3 on the road and 8 straight to end the season. That would be winning 13 of the last 14 (and 17 of the last 19) after starting the season 3-7. They would definitely have earned the 1 seed.

Comment

Working...
                                X