Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Wyoming Cowgirls at Laramie

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    8-5 for OOC, not too bad with just a couple easy games on the schedule , have a happy holiday Jacks and Jacks fans.
    Not too good either.

The point of the schedule, with the returning talent, should have been an at large birth if they lose the SLT. That's gone. They win the tourney or go the way of the WNIT.

USD will hand it to us if we play like we did tonight. Duffy is the fire that lights their team, I'm not sure we have anyone like that. Too many flat games against teams they should have had no issues beating.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
      Not too good either.

The point of the schedule, with the returning talent, should have been an at large birth if they lose the SLT. That's gone. They win the tourney or go the way of the WNIT.
      Why is this gone? What is so much different with our resume this year vs. last year at this point in the season?

We were a 9 seed last year which is solidly in at-large territory.

We have people that are doom and gloom with both our basketball teams right now acting like we are screwed come March. I don't think that's the case for either team. I'll admit there are a lot of near misses/what-ifs surrounding both teams but they've both still got chances to have special seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Why is this gone? What is so much different with our resume this year vs. last year at this point in the season?

We have people that are doom and gloom with both our basketball teams right now acting like we are screwed come March. I don't think that's the case for either team. I'll admit there are a lot of near misses/what-ifs surrounding both teams but they've both still got chances to have special seasons.
        What is disappointing is to see a team come out flat with no energy and not play even close to their potential.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          What is disappointing is to see a team come out flat with no energy and not play even close to their potential.
          I completely agree, we've had a couple of those this year. Hell we have a couple every year.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            From what I could watch we looked flat and slow. Usd will win the conference and sweep us if we play like this again. Frustrating we play so well against Baylor and Oregon but so flat against Wyoming and buffalo.
            I do not know that we played too bad against Buffalo. We just aren't a very deep team and having our starters use all of that energy against Baylor one night and come back the next day against the #6 ranked mid-major team was tough. It seems like both SDSU's men's (4 deep) and women's basketball team (5 deep) need to find a bench.
            Wyoming is 8-2 and Buffalo is 7-2 so they are not bad teams. Both teams might make the NCAA tourney so I don't think SDSU has lost to a bad team, yet.

I think SDSU got killed on the boards and from the bench against Wyoming. You could say it is the altitude but they were killing SDSU on the boards right from tip off.

Boards- Wyoming outscored us 21-4 in second chance points. We allowed 13 offensive rebounds. My coached told me (back in the day) that rebounding is about heart and toughness. Stick you butt in them and go get it. If we keep giving up offensive rebounds, you need to send all 5 players to the boards. Madi had 0 rebounds in 35 minutes. I know she is a shooting guard but you would think a ball would fall into her arms at least once playing about the whole game.

Bench- SDSU got a grand total of 0 points from their bench. Wyoming got 19 points from their bench. SDSU's bench did get 8 rebounds but after that they had about as many negative things as positive things. They had 1 block, 0 steals and 2 assists but they had 3 TO's to cancel them out. I won't bring up the fouls because half of them were at the end of the game when they were fouling to send Wyoming to the free throw line.

Comment

It isn't doom and gloom, it is reality. I suggest you do some research and understand how the system works.

The losses to Wyoming and Buffalo will hurt in the long run. The Summit sits at 19 in RPI. That will not improve, we will be low to mid-20s before the season ends. The league has 4 schools over 200 in RPI today, a fifth on the edge of being over 200. Two of those schools are already over 300, a third will be soon (WIU is 299). Our RPI is projected, if we split with USD, to be over 40. That will not get us an at-large. We really needed one, or both of those (Buffalo, Wyoming) games to go our way or we needed to knock off Baylor or Oregon.

The only school in the Summit on target for a shot at an at-large is USD, who have done enough to earn themselves one if we win the SLT. Our only shot at an at large is to go undefeated in league play, which will mean beating USD twice, an incredibly difficult task. It is disappointing because on paper this team has as much, or more talent then the 2009 team. For whatever reason, that team rarely came out flat, this one...

And a 9 seed is not solidly in at-large territory for a mid-major from a (likely) mid-20s league. The Summit was stronger last year.

Comment

Oh, and as far as the Men and doom and gloom. We never had a shot at an at-large this year and I think what TJ has done in OOC is perfect. Our bench is incredibly young and minus Key, he needed to do some experimenting. That will benefit us as the season progresses. By the end of the year I expect our Men to be really, really good.

The Summit on the Men's side is worse then the Women. The league is sitting below leagues like the Big Sky. In other words, the league as a whole is bad, really bad, embarrassingly bad this year. The Women, along with USD had a shot at making a statement in OOC this season. USD did their job, I'm not sure we did. We needed to go 10-3 to get where we needed to be, we dropped two games we had no reason for dropping.

Comment

I think the women had an opportunity with their out of conference schedule to really solidify an at large bid and they did not get the job done. Sometimes I think we could do more with less talent and more aggressiveness which didn't show up until the end of the game. Be nice to take the pressure off and not have to win the conference tournament every year.

Comment

We will keep our rpi up better than the rest of the Summit, because we have very good programs like Baylor, Oregon, Drake, Cent Mich, everyone in our tough OOC schedule who do nothing but win helping keep it up for us. RPI is 25% of our winning percentage (8-5) + 50% of our opponents winning percentage + 25% of our opponents opponents winning percentage. 3/4 of our RPI is in other's hands, so I'm glad most of them will help, not hurt our RPI. Since 2004-2005, adjustments were added, they weighted home wins and road losses at 0.6, and conversely home losses and road wins are factored by 1.4, so, try for wins on the road, and definitely don't lose at home (unless to Oregon, ND, etc).I know that other things are factored in besides rpi for at-large consideration, but it's still good to have it as high as you can. Could have been better except for a few mediocre games we played.Enjoy the Holiday's and try not to agonize too much over things you have no control over, but have high hopes for.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I think the women had an opportunity with their out of conference schedule to really solidify an at large bid and they did not get the job done. Sometimes I think we could do more with less talent and more aggressiveness which didn't show up until the end of the game. Be nice to take the pressure off and not have to win the conference tournament every year.
                      Agree with this completely. You can tell when they really want to come out and get it done. The two top 10 games, drake and Green Bay we were really aggressive and showed heart. This game it just seemed like ho hum it's only Wyoming, we can skate by on talent-until it was too late. We don't have that player that comes with it every game and can fire up the rest of the team to be their best. That's why Vogel was so special, because it doesn't even have to be your best player that does it.

Good thing the conference tournament is in Frost South every year

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                        Agree with this completely. You can tell when they really want to come out and get it done. The two top 10 games, drake and Green Bay we were really aggressive and showed heart. This game it just seemed like ho hum it's only Wyoming, we can skate by on talent-until it was too late. We don't have that player that comes with it every game and can fire up the rest of the team to be their best. That's why Vogel was so special, because it doesn't even have to be your best player that does it.

Good thing the conference tournament is in Frost South every year
                        That's also a reflection on the coaching staff. Ah and stig are not big fire up rah rah type coaches. More do your job and play hard. And some times I think the teams are a little flat because of it.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          That's also a reflection on the coaching staff. Ah and stig are not big fire up rah rah type coaches. More do your job and play hard. And some times I think the teams are a little flat because of it.
                          This is very true, we have mediocre games every season, as well as standout games too. It's a perplexing mix, kind of frustrating to the fans. They get very good come SLT time (won 80% of the championships), really focused and fine tuned, I mean, look at last year, lost twice to USD, even at home, but who comes away SLT champs, we do. We could still get an at -large, winning against USD , we will be fighting each other for the possibility of one of us getting that elusive insurance policy, that is, a good chance of getting an at-large should the unspeakable happen in the SLT. We can't lose to those we are supposed to be better than either. Should all make for a very interesting Conference season.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-21-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rabbitball;340156]Agree with this completely. You can tell when they really want to come out and get it done. The two top 10 games, drake and Green Bay we were really aggressive and showed heart. This game it just seemed like ho hum it's only Wyoming, we can skate by on talent-until it was too late. We don't have that player that comes with it every game and can fire up the rest of the team to be their best. That's why Vogel was so special, because it doesn't even have to be your best player that does it.
                            Good thing the conference tournament is in Frost South every year[/QUOTE

Agree, it was very apparent at the start of the game who wanted it more, the difference in intensity, hustle and aggressiveness was glaring, too much aggressiveness from one cowgirl maybe, hope RCJ is feeling a little better today.

I saw the writing on the wall, the more you let them get going and gain confidence, the more they stomp you, it gets easier for them. Happens this way all the time when you take someone not as seriously as you should, they'll make you regret it. Time to think of happier things for me, Merry Christmas Jackrabbits and fans!

Comment

That is as animated as I have seen AJ in a while. He saw immediately and I think was incensed with what he saw on the floor. Even the announcers commented multiple times the Jacks lacked energy and hustle. Not getting rebounds and to the ball on the floor are pure determination or lack there of. Wyoming wanted it more for most of the game. We didn't even take advantage of a long scoring draught in the second half by them. I would have a hard time coaching women's basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                                This is very true, we have mediocre games every season, as well as standout games too. It's a perplexing mix, kind of frustrating to the fans. They get very good come SLT time (won 80% of the championships), really focused and fine tuned, I mean, look at last year, lost twice to USD, even at home, but who comes away SLT champs, we do. We could still get an at -large, winning against USD , we will be fighting each other for the possibility of one of us getting that elusive insurance policy, that is, a good chance of getting an at-large should the unspeakable happen in the SLT. We can't lose to those we are supposed to be better than either. Should all make for a very interesting Conference season.
                                I do agree that SDSU plays better come SLT time but I have a problem going off last years games against USD. SDSU lost at home to USD by 6 with Myah out injured. Myah was just getting back when SDSU went to USD and lost by 5 points. Come SLT time, Myah was back for over a month, she was healthier and SDSU won. Lose by more (1 point) at home without Myah, lose closer on the road with Myah getting back into the swing of things and win on a neutral count when Myah is healthiest. I'm not blaming anything on injuries we lost the first two games but our third best player was healthier and we did not play in Vermillion for the SLT.

SDSU just hasn't been very deep the last few years. Both years; Maci averaged around 18 points/game, Madi averaged around 14 points/game Myah went from 9.5 last year to about 13 points/game this year but after that the next scorer averages around 8.5 points/game. Madi went 2-12 against Buffalo and 3-10 against Wyoming. If you rely on two or three players to carry the load you will struggle if they are off. I am not picking on Madi but she struggled in those two losses. The bench didn't score at all against Wyoming so many more people struggled but she is one of the big 3. She lit it up against Oregon, Drake and Baylor. I wish we had more depth. That way we wouldn't just rely on 3 players to carry us. I know we will be fine next year but it could be interesting.

I think SDSU can still get an at large bid if the win out in the regular season and lose to USD in the championship. Other than that, I think it might be tough sledding.

Comment

Working...
                                X