Auggie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Auggie

If the rumor doesn't pan out, Augustana will compete in D2 for next 2 years and then have the 4 year dead period with their transition to D1.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
      There is a lot of talented kids who don’t wanna do wrestling in college because they are tired of cutting weight and working so hard for 6 year straight. Wrestling isn’t a “bright spot sport”. So the only way you get kids to go wrestle another 4 years in small gyms without many fans is because of their love for the sport. Sadly that isn’t instilled in many South Dakota wrestlers. They have fun in high school and say they never wanna cut weight again. It just burns them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You highlight a good point on why more kids don't pursue College Wrestling when talking about weight cutting. I had scoliosis so I wasn't allowed to wrestle, but I remember my HS buddies basically starving themselves during wrestling season to make weight. Kid you know I had one friend who was around 215-220 during football and then cut down to wrestle in the 170's. He was actually cleared by a doctor to wrestling in the 160's but his mother smartly dropped the hammer on that one. Weight cutting is unfortunately apart of the sport but I wish the would be to education and nutrition help at the HS level so kids don't destroy their bodies and burn out of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
        You highlight a good point on why more kids don't pursue College Wrestling when talking about weight cutting. I had scoliosis so I wasn't allowed to wrestle, but I remember my HS buddies basically starving themselves during wrestling season to make weight. Kid you know I had one friend who was around 215-220 during football and then cut down to wrestle in the 170's. He was actually cleared by a doctor to wrestling in the 160's but his mother smartly dropped the hammer on that one. Weight cutting is unfortunately apart of the sport but I wish the would be to education and nutrition help at the HS level so kids don't destroy their bodies and burn out of the sport.
        I'll echo this. A lot of wrestlers are just flat burned out after high school.

My hometown had a pretty good wrestling program when I was in high school. I was talking to one of our better wrestlers one day (two time state champ I believe) and we got to talking about wrestling in college. He said no way he was burned out.

Comment

Working...
        X