Auggie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auggie

Any thoughts on how Auggies move to D1 will affect recruiting? Guessing B12 for conference logistically speaking?

Re: Auggie

Possibly Augie drops wrestling. They would need to find a conference not sure Big12 would want them.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Possibly Augie drops wrestling. They would need to find a conference not sure Big12 would want them.
      Agreed, difficult for Augie to find a conference and be competitive. Maybe a different story 5 years ago before the Jacks resurgence, not now though.

Comment

Oh, all the Sioux Falls people say that money is no object, so I can't possibly conceive of Augie having to cut any sports. In fact, I'm sure they'll add a few.

/sarc
        /snark
        /smack in non-smack thread. I denounce myself.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Oh, all the Sioux Falls people say that money is no object, so I can't possibly conceive of Augie having to cut any sports. In fact, I'm sure they'll add a few.

/sarc
          /snark
          /smack in non-smack thread. I denounce myself.
          Those SF people are known to ruin pheasant hunting too.,
          They forget close gates and and livestock ARE free to roam
          Last edited by Nidaros; 12-25-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Augie wrestling is probably dead, just like Augie football is likely to be if it goes non-scholarship.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Arkansas-Little Rock started a D1 wrestling program this season. Doesn't mention which conference they would join, initially i figured they would join the MAC, but that conference just added 7 teams, so maybe Big 12 adds Auggie and Little Rock. I hate seeing wrestling programs get cut as they are usually the first casualty of men's programs to get dropped. I hope they stay alive, but if Auggie does not keep wrestling I would be curious if they have any athletes that could add depth to the Jackrabbit roster.

Comment

Hoping Augie keeps wrestling alive. I would love to have an in state D1 to dual against, even though it hurts recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was told by a former Augie wrestler this weekend that they’re cutting wrestling and the kids will be able to wrestle three years unattached. They basically aren’t recruiting anymore and the kids in the program know. I have no idea on the logistics of that but he’s talked about Augie wrestling in my prior conversations I have no reason to think this wouldn’t be the truth.

They’ll also reevaluate after the three years and see if it’s a viable sport for the university.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    I was told by a former Augie wrestler this weekend that they’re cutting wrestling and the kids will be able to wrestle three years unattached. They basically aren’t recruiting anymore and the kids in the program know. I have no idea on the logistics of that but he’s talked about Augie wrestling in my prior conversations I have no reason to think this wouldn’t be the truth.

They’ll also reevaluate after the three years and see if it’s a viable sport for the university.
                    It probably makes me a bad person to consider if current Augie wrestlers would be able to transfer DI. Say, for instance... if Colby Kost, Steven Hajas and Hunter Burnett wanted to move an hour North... That said Augustana provides opportunities for local wrestlers and their demise would be a tough thing to have happen.

Comment

If Augie shuts it down, would USF be interested in starting a Wrestling program? Heck they could just bring the entire program over and be competitive from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                        If Augie shuts it down, would USF be interested in starting a Wrestling program? Heck they could just bring the entire program over and be competitive from day one.
                        Maybe there would be interest. But they would need some financial support and can traction to get it actually moving. Plus it doesn’t help that wrestling isn’t nearly as big within Sioux Falls compared to the suburbs and rural towns. If they had the same percentage of wrestling fans within Sioux Falls as in other places, then there would probably be a little bit more interest in starting a college wrestling program. I haven’t been to an Augie dual but I doubt they are barn burners. Heck, DWU can’t even fill their lineup right now. Let’s just say outside of SDSU, and not even SDSU that much this year, college wrestling isn’t exactly blooming in South Dakota. I doubt anyone is starting a new wrestling program.

But hey what do I know

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                          Maybe there would be interest. But they would need some financial support and can traction to get it actually moving. Plus it doesn’t help that wrestling isn’t nearly as big within Sioux Falls compared to the suburbs and rural towns. If they had the same percentage of wrestling fans within Sioux Falls as in other places, then there would probably be a little bit more interest in starting a college wrestling program. I haven’t been to an Augie dual but I doubt they are barn burners. Heck, DWU can’t even fill their lineup right now. Let’s just say outside of SDSU, and not even SDSU that much this year, college wrestling isn’t exactly blooming in South Dakota. I doubt anyone is starting a new wrestling program.

But hey what do I know
                          And would have to add a women’s sport. Not gonna happen after Sioux Falls eliminated wrestling when it went from NAIA to DivII.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

But hey what do I know
                            It's a shame, Augie was really good for a little while there. Back in the late 2000's and early teens they had a bunch of all-Americans and some descent support. I just want SD wrestlers to have something to aspire to. Too many never give college a shot. The college teams make high-school teams better and this is the recruiting base that we have. We need colleges out there putting on clinics and pumping out coaches and wrestling entrepreneurs. That's what makes Minnesota a great wrestling state. South Dakota has more interest in wrestling per capita than any other state in the country. The only thing keeping South Dakota from producing more DI talent is the lack of top-flight training opportunities. I would actually love to see a team West river, maybe Black Hills State.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
                              It's a shame, Augie was really good for a little while there. Back in the late 2000's and early teens they had a bunch of all-Americans and some descent support. I just want SD wrestlers to have something to aspire to. Too many never give college a shot. The college teams make high-school teams better and this is the recruiting base that we have. We need colleges out there putting on clinics and pumping out coaches and wrestling entrepreneurs. That's what makes Minnesota a great wrestling state. South Dakota has more interest in wrestling per capita than any other state in the country. The only thing keeping South Dakota from producing more DI talent is the lack of top-flight training opportunities. I would actually love to see a team West river, maybe Black Hills State.
                              There is a lot of talented kids who don’t wanna do wrestling in college because they are tired of cutting weight and working so hard for 6 year straight. Wrestling isn’t a “bright spot sport”. So the only way you get kids to go wrestle another 4 years in small gyms without many fans is because of their love for the sport. Sadly that isn’t instilled in many South Dakota wrestlers. They have fun in high school and say they never wanna cut weight again. It just burns them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X