Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Eastern Washington Eagles @ Cheney, Wa

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Not trying to nitpick but do you think the men's BB selection committee looks at the point spread when a teams loses to another highly ranked team? Like will our loss of 4 points to Nevada be looked upon favorably come selection time? I would think not but I'd be pleasantly surprised if someone tells me otherwise!
    Technically no. Now if it came down to weighing two teams they felt equally they could look back at those games. The NCAA is putting a premium on away games and neutral court games- unfortunately the Nevada game if we won would have been a massive boost based on the quadrant system.

Comment

Not trying to nitpick but do you think the men's BB selection committee looks at the point spread when a teams loses to another highly ranked team? Like will our loss of 4 points to Nevada be looked upon favorably come selection time? I would think not but I'd be pleasantly surprised if someone tells me otherwise!
      I don't know for sure, but I'd have to think the point spread is factored into some of the metrics (like Ken Pom) used by the committee.

If I'm trying to figure out how good a team is, I'd like to think looking at how a team loses would give an indication. There's always going to be outliers like our WBB loss to Marquette but I think spread can be used to help with the puzzle.

Comment

I miss the days when our mantra was to go 1-0 in the next game. We haven't even started conference play and we already have a focus on what seed we will receive so that we can get that first NCAA tourney win. I recognize that our expectations are as high as they've ever been and deservedly so. That being said, I will join the debate...

The NCAA does have a process and this article that was posted in October on the NCAA website covers selection criteria. Listed below are factors that the selection consider.

Resources: Committee members have a wide-range of observation, consultation and data resources available to them throughout the season and during selection week. These resources provide the foundation for a thorough and educated process that is reinforced by the committee member’s discussion and deliberation. Among the resources available to the committee are an extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and NABC regional advisory rankings; complete box scores and results, head-to-head results, results versus common opponents, imbalanced conference schedules and results, overall and non-conference strength of schedule, the quality of wins and losses, road record, player and coach availability and various computer metrics. Each of the 10 committee members uses these various resources to form their own opinions, resulting in the committee’s consensus position on teams’ selection and seeding.

Seeding: The committee will create a “seed list” (i.e. rank of the teams in “true seeds” 1 through 68) which reflects the relative qualitative assessment of the field in descending order, and is used to assess competitive balance of the top teams across the four regions of the championship. The seed list reflects the sequential order with which teams will be placed in the bracket. Once the “seed list” is finalized, it remains unchanged while the bracket is assembled.
        Importantly, various principles may preclude a team from being placed in its “true” seed position in the bracket.

The seed list is then resorted by groups of 8. The top 8 seeds are separated out and the committee members revote on those 8 teams. The top 4 from that list are seeded and the process is repeated with the lower 4 teams included in the next vote of 8 teams. The process is repeated until all teams are seeded.

A betting man/woman (or however you identify yourself), would put money down on the Jackrabbits being anywhere from an 11 to 13 seed at this point in the season. My money is that we will go 1-0 in our next game.

If we want more debate on our merits for the NCAA tourney, we may want to have that discussion in its own thread. In the meantime, while not overly impressive, this was an important road win.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          I miss the days when our mantra was to go 1-0 in the next game. We haven't even started conference play and we already have a focus on what seed we will receive so that we can get that first NCAA tourney win. I recognize that our expectations are as high as they've ever been and deservedly so. That being said, I will join the debate...

The NCAA does have a process and this article that was posted in October on the NCAA website covers selection criteria. Listed below are factors that the selection consider.

Resources: Committee members have a wide-range of observation, consultation and data resources available to them throughout the season and during selection week. These resources provide the foundation for a thorough and educated process that is reinforced by the committee member’s discussion and deliberation. Among the resources available to the committee are an extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and NABC regional advisory rankings; complete box scores and results, head-to-head results, results versus common opponents, imbalanced conference schedules and results, overall and non-conference strength of schedule, the quality of wins and losses, road record, player and coach availability and various computer metrics. Each of the 10 committee members uses these various resources to form their own opinions, resulting in the committee’s consensus position on teams’ selection and seeding.

Seeding: The committee will create a “seed list” (i.e. rank of the teams in “true seeds” 1 through 68) which reflects the relative qualitative assessment of the field in descending order, and is used to assess competitive balance of the top teams across the four regions of the championship. The seed list reflects the sequential order with which teams will be placed in the bracket. Once the “seed list” is finalized, it remains unchanged while the bracket is assembled.
          Importantly, various principles may preclude a team from being placed in its “true” seed position in the bracket.

The seed list is then resorted by groups of 8. The top 8 seeds are separated out and the committee members revote on those 8 teams. The top 4 from that list are seeded and the process is repeated with the lower 4 teams included in the next vote of 8 teams. The process is repeated until all teams are seeded.

A betting man/woman (or however you identify yourself), would put money down on the Jackrabbits being anywhere from an 11 to 13 seed at this point in the season. My money is that we will go 1-0 in our next game.

If we want more debate on our merits for the NCAA tourney, we may want to have that discussion in its own thread. In the meantime, while not overly impressive, this was an important road win.
          Based on your criteria, it appears margin of victory can indeed be used.

Comment

GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Eastern Washington Eagles @ Cheney, Wa

"Going 1-0" is even less fun on a fan forum than it is in a robotic, cliche-filled quote from a coach or athlete. Yuck.

See you at Frost Saturday for another Big Sky matchup. I'll accept a 1-0 outcome.
            Last edited by Southeast; 12-20-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

So, basically speaking, the more perfect you are, the better you look to the Selection Committee, based on a wide range of criteria taken from a substantial data base, don't screw up and you'll do fine.....LOL,I get it.

Comment

I love this team, and I know the Summit is down, but I find the acceptance of "we're going undefeated in the Summit" to be troubling.

Basketball is a hard game to win every time out. It just is. That's why there's been no undefeated team since Indiana in 1976.

If you're counting, that's 40+ years... and that even includes the Kentucky team that ALMOST did it, and had, what... like 8 first round NBA draft picks on that team?

You're going to come up short sometimes, the other team is going to play great sometimes... things happen.

The Jackrabbits have a very good team, and are prepared to have a great conference season. Let's not spoil it, by going off the deep end if they hit a few bumps in the road. Enjoy this season, fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  I love this team, and I know the Summit is down, but I find the acceptance of "we're going undefeated in the Summit" to be troubling.

Basketball is a hard game to win every time out. It just is. That's why there's been no undefeated team since Indiana in 1976.

If you're counting, that's 40+ years... and that even includes the Kentucky team that ALMOST did it, and had, what... like 8 first round NBA draft picks on that team?

You're going to come up short sometimes, the other team is going to play great sometimes... things happen.

The Jackrabbits have a very good team, and are prepared to have a great conference season. Let's not spoil it, by going off the deep end if they hit a few bumps in the road. Enjoy this season, fellas!
                  I'm with you and I probably started that thought process. I'd be surprised if we went undefeated in conference.

Comment

I'm with you guys. There will be upcoming games like this one at E. Washington, and we will not win them all. I might feel differently if all those freshmen had another year of experience. Put me down for two Summit losses. Better is a bonus and worse a disappointment. Also, there will be meltdowns here after those two losses (going WAY out on a limb with that prediction, I know).

Comment

No team has ever gone unbeaten in the Summit League/Mid -Continent Conference but i suppose there is always a first time. No conferences had an unbeaten in conference play last year. There were 2(Vermont and Princeton) 2 years ago. We lost in Vermillion by 19 last year. Our only conference loss last year. I would be fine with just one loss again this year. I dont think we go unbeaten.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        I'm with you and I probably started that thought process. I'd be surprised if we went undefeated in conference.
                        I posted, not sure when, that both the men's and women's teams would run the table in conference. I still believe that. They are both easily the best teams in conference.

I want to see a little more attitude by these guys. Sometimes I just dont feel the energy that a team this talented should have when they take the court. I see a little if that getting brought back by DJJ.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          I posted, not sure when, that both the men's and women's teams would run the table in conference. I still believe that. They are both easily the best teams in conference.

I want to see a little more attitude by these guys. Sometimes I just dont feel the energy that a team this talented should have when they take the court. I see a little if that getting brought back by DJJ.
                          Easily the best women’s team?!?! Ok.......

Comment

Easily the best women’s team?!?! Ok.......
                            They may not be right, but I stand by my predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              They may not be right, but I stand by my predictions.
                              USD is really good. Maybe not better than the Jacks but it’s at least close.

Comment

USD is really good. Maybe not better than the Jacks but it’s at least close.
                                I just think our top 3 on both the men's and women's side are a step or two above anyone else. It is all about how those 4, 5, and 6 perform that will tell us about the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X