Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits at #7 Nevada Wolf Pack

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
    Can’t wait to hear the ref defenders for this one.

We just beat Nevada by 10. Outplayed them with our best player handcuffed as usual for non conference road games. Incredible performance by this team. Looking for the “adjust” comments on the no contact fouls and changes.

Daum plays so clean. It’s absurd he fouls out on the road every single game. College basketball has a serious problem that continues to get worse.

Conference play coming with nuetral officiating. We will not lose in conference. Calling it now.
    We will lose in Vermillion.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      His issue is that oftentimes when he drives to the basket he lowers his shoulder. A smart defender will use that to their advantage and take a charge, and sometimes they are questionable. He has to see that he needs to go around players on the drive, not thru them.
      This is the problem. He can't get around defenders when they put anyone even remotely quick on him. He still gets points other ways because he's just that good but he's never had a quick enough first step to beat anyone athletic. I thought that was the whole point of slimming down, but it doesn't seem to have helped his foot speed just based on the eye test. We are using him a lot more on dribble drives from the perimeter this year, and that exposes him to a lot of charges because of the quickness factor. I'm sure that's what the NBA guys want to see from him, and in all honesty I don't think he's changing any minds.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9u7UA9O2-M
        Nevada coach/players might think about how the rest of the teams will defend Daum/Jenkins
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwkIkJvvxq8 highlights
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          10 points for Daum and Jenkins wow! Nevada no doubt did their homework.
          The good news is that it still was just a 4 point game in the end. This will be a good game for the players and coaches to analyze for the future because if we make it to the NCAA tourney, this experience of how Nevada guarded Jenkins and Daum can be used to counter it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            I didn't have much of an issue with Daum's fouls. I did have an issue with what Nevada was getting away with, especially crashing the offensive boards.
            I thought the one offensive foul was kinda cheap and his first one was too, but outside of that he committed some stupid fouls. There were two offensive fouls on Jenkins though that I thought were bad calls, but that is part of the game.

Comment

This game definitely hurt Daum's draft stock. What I've seen this year is a conscious effort by the coaching staff to showcase Daum all-around scoring ability for scouts by wanting him to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. As mentioned before, it's not working, the first step isn't there. Defenders are getting in front of him and he's picking up charges FREQUENTLY. Now, are they charges? Some. But the ease that some of these large, finely tuned athletic machines fall over when Daum drives is comical, clearly a coached mindset to get him off the floor. Those same calls won't be there for defenders at the next level, but for the time being, until officiating changes, Daum & the coaching staff need to adapt to keep him on the floor and give our guys the best chance to win.

Comment

Originally posted by trackrabbit View Post
                This game definitely hurt Daum's draft stock. What I've seen this year is a conscious effort by the coaching staff to showcase Daum all-around scoring ability for scouts by wanting him to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. As mentioned before, it's not working, the first step isn't there. Defenders are getting in front of him and he's picking up charges FREQUENTLY. Now, are they charges? Some. But the ease that some of these large, finely tuned athletic machines fall over when Daum drives is comical, clearly a coached mindset to get him off the floor. Those same calls won't be there for defenders at the next level, but for the time being, until officiating changes, Daum & the coaching staff need to adapt to keep him on the floor and give our guys the best chance to win.
                90% of all charges involve some type of acting.

If they want to see Daum off the dribble, we need to be setting more high screens or double screens. He just isn't going to threaten any of the higher level athletes with the dribble. His shot fake used to be really effective, but it seems that he isn't shooting it as much and that is negating that great fake.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by trackrabbit View Post
                  This game definitely hurt Daum's draft stock.
                  Daum isn't getting drafted. I've yet to see any credible draft boards with him on it (or anywhere near it). Not saying he doesn't have a career in the NBA, but drafted...no.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                    Daum isn't getting drafted. I've yet to see any credible draft boards with him on it (or anywhere near it). Not saying he doesn't have a career in the NBA, but drafted...no.
                    He will need to prove himself in either the G-league or in Europe.

Comment

I see no chance he goes in the first round, but when you get to the middle/end of the second and the talent pool gets thinned out, there could be a team that specifically needs a stretch 4 type for their second unit that could take a chance.

Comment

I agree, and saying this doesn't take away the fact that he is an all-time great college player! He will make a lot of money playing basketball, I'm just not sure that it will be in the NBA

Comment

While everyone is speculating how bad Mike Daum is a player, we might consider that Nevada is a long athletic team that spent a week prepping for stopping Daum and Jenkins Jr. Some of those players might even play professionally as well. You can all tell me I told you so next year, but we had a fair amount of optimism for the guy Daum passed on the way to all-time scorer for SDSU. It appears we are shell shocked that a team of Nevada's stature could devise a plan to play defense like it appeared in yesterday's game. Good game Wolfpack and back to the drawing board for the Jackrabbits.
                          Last edited by OldHare; 12-16-2018, 05:04 PM.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The officiating last night blew. There is no doubt we were on the short end of the stick at that end. I visited with Mikes dad after the game while we were waiting for Tyler to wrap up the postgame and he said “we beat these guys by 15 at Frost”. Take that however you want.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                              The officiating last night blew. There is no doubt we were on the short end of the stick at that end. I visited with Mikes dad after the game while we were waiting for Tyler to wrap up the postgame and he said “we beat these guys by 15 at Frost”. Take that however you want.
                              I would be satisfied with a 4 point win at a neutral court! Sometime between now and tournament play, I would expect a twist to Daum's move from the perimeter to drive the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                While everyone is speculating how bad Mike Daum is a player...
                                Seems a bit overdramatic and way off base as to what we are discussing. It may be difficult to comprehend, but a player can be great but still have flaws in his game.

Comment

Working...
                                X