2019 QB starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 QB starter

Stig and several other coaches were in Yankton for an event yesterday. Just sayin....

https://www.facebook.com/yanktonjack...type=3&sfns=mo

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Ha, I forgot about that. Here's the post you were referring to... http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...115#post317115

I wonder if this info is from the same "source close to the program".
      This is coming straight from me. Not from a source. It won't be Walding. Not that big a deal.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        This is coming straight from me. Not from a source. It won't be Walding. Not that big a deal.
        Why won't it be Walding? Just checked and he's not listed on the roster anymore. Is he gone?

Comment

Why won't it be Walding? Just checked and he's not listed on the roster anymore. Is he gone?
          Could be gone! At next JC meeting ask Stig.

Comment

Former rostered QB - Justin Roberts is no longer listed on the roster either. He had switched from QB to WR this spring, but not listed anywhere on the roster now.

Had to expect some attrition after spring ball. It's a numbers game. We currently have 81 rostered players and that does not include the incoming class, of which, two are QBs. Add in that talented group and you can start to see that some players are just not going to see the field this fall. Tough decisions have to be made and players will leave for playing time elsewhere or other reasons. Walding is a bit of a surprise as he led the first series in the spring game and Zimmer had him and Gibbs in a dead heat coming out of spring ball. That said, Walding was a part time starter at Iowa Western and ultimately had to play 2nd fiddle, despite earning a national JUCO player of the week honors. At Arizona State, his name was brought up often as a potential backup QB after having impressive workouts and practices. He's had a track record of being the bridesmaid instead of the bride and looking for greener pastures. It would have been nice if he could have persevered and had success as a Jackrabbit. However, I'd hate to have a team leader/QB that isn't cool under fire.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
              Former rostered QB - Justin Roberts is no longer listed on the roster either. He had switched from QB to WR this spring, but not listed anywhere on the roster now.

Had to expect some attrition after spring ball. It's a numbers game. We currently have 81 rostered players and that does not include the incoming class, of which, two are QBs. Add in that talented group and you can start to see that some players are just not going to see the field this fall. Tough decisions have to be made and players will leave for playing time elsewhere or other reasons. Walding is a bit of a surprise as he led the first series in the spring game and Zimmer had him and Gibbs in a dead heat coming out of spring ball. That said, Walding was a part time starter at Iowa Western and ultimately had to play 2nd fiddle, despite earning a national JUCO player of the week honors. At Arizona State, his name was brought up often as a potential backup QB after having impressive workouts and practices. He's had a track record of being the bridesmaid instead of the bride and looking for greener pastures. It would have been nice if he could have persevered and had success as a Jackrabbit. However, I'd hate to have a team leader/QB that isn't cool under fire.
              Must have seen the writing on the wall and didn't want to use up another year of eligibility as a backup waiting for his chance. Too bad for us, would have been nice to have another quality backup QB, but I don't blame him for leaving either. I still have confidence in Nelson and Connors backing up Gibbs if that is how it plays out. If Gibbs is the starter, it will be interesting to see who gets the 2 spot. I'm leaning Connors, but Nelson does have some experience.

Comment

JackMD has better sources and insight into the team than 99 percent of us. I'd never dismiss anything he says. ... So, the Jacks apparently are looking at Gibbs, Connors and Nelson as their top three QBs going into the season, plus two incoming recruits. That's a still solid group. Maybe even an improving group.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Yes. Not interested in playing FB anymore. I don't know if he will stay enrolled at SDSU or not. Timing isn't great but you can't have someone that doesn't love FB as your QB. I didn't press Stig about the topic. That's something for Zimmer to do if he thinks it's much of a story.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Must have seen the writing on the wall and didn't want to use up another year of eligibility as a backup waiting for his chance. Too bad for us, would have been nice to have another quality backup QB, but I don't blame him for leaving either. I still have confidence in Nelson and Connors backing up Gibbs if that is how it plays out. If Gibbs is the starter, it will be interesting to see who gets the 2 spot. I'm leaning Connors, but Nelson does have some experience.
                    Again, I didn't press Stig for details. Had a discussion with several people that follow the team more closely than I do, fellow fans, no other connection to the program. They gave me the impression that Stig told them Walding was the one taking the most snaps and pegged as number 1. They had Gibbs as 2 and Connors as the 3 with Nelson not likely to be in the mix. Again, just what their opinion on the matter of QB is.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Again, I didn't press Stig for details. Had a discussion with several people that follow the team more closely than I do, fellow fans, no other connection to the program. They gave me the impression that Stig told them Walding was the one taking the most snaps and pegged as number 1. They had Gibbs as 2 and Connors as the 3 with Nelson not likely to be in the mix. Again, just what their opinion on the matter of QB is.
                      Odd to hear that he could have potentially been in line to be the starter for a top tier FCS team and he decided to call it quits.

Comment

Took a peak at Gibbs' highlight tape again: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5259237...6abe0574dba6c4

He throws a very catch-able ball. Reminds me of how Lujan threw the ball. Very different from TC, who rifled throws and required perfect timing and accuracy. TC's throws allowed for much tighter windows, even deep down field, whereas Lujan and Gibbs seem to make throws where receivers have more of a chance to adjust to the ball because it's thrown with a little more air underneath it. Both have pros and cons. Lujan/Gibbs throws have more of a chance to be broken up, but they are easier to adjust to and catch. TC's throws were tough to break up, but ended up in some empty throws where the receiver didn't have a chance, because if the accuracy was off just a bit, there was no way the receiver had a chance to adjust to it.

Comment

Odd to hear that he could have potentially been in line to be the starter for a top tier FCS team and he decided to call it quits.
                          Do the initials TOB ring a bell ?

Comment

Interesting. Well, it’s much better to find out now than halfway through fall ball. Gibbs has all the talent in the world, I really hope he can put it together.
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Nice write up by Zimmer on the Walding departure and resulting QB situation:

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...289382400?s=21

Comment

Nice write up by Zimmer on the Walding departure and resulting QB situation:

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...289382400?s=21
                                Good article. Totally agree with Zim that sitting Gibbs or Conners for potentially two years of Walding would not have been ideal.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X