Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 QB starter

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Keep in mind that just a few months ago, Pierre Strong Jr. was the Jacks' fourth-string running back. Circumstances thrust him into playing a more prominent role. Young men can bloom.
    For what it's worth. Zimmer in his chat yesterday said that coaches have told him that they expect Gibbs to be in the running to start at QB next year. He also said it was hard to evaluate him because he always ran the scout team against the defensive starters. Which would mean that he probably didn't get as much time running our offense as the other QB's.

Comment

Jackrabbit_Illstrtd
      @JackIllustrated

I can report that former Arizona State and Iowa Western CC QB @KurtWalding13 is enrolled at SDSU this spring and is working out with the team. Looks like @GoJacksFB is adding another arm to the competition to replace Taryn. #GoJacks
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        We already have a scholarship QB (Heide) and a PWO QB (Hunter) in this recruiting class. I would think that if we wanted Johannsen we would have offered by now. I believe his best offer as of now is a PWO from NDSU which he didn't take during the early signing period. As WestSide said in another thread, he's confident we will have a transfer QB coming into the mix but no details as to whom that will be.
        https://twitter.com/jackillustrated/...113659393?s=21

Looks like we found our answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Jackrabbit_Illstrtd
          @JackIllustrated

I can report that former Arizona State and Iowa Western CC QB @KurtWalding13 is enrolled at SDSU this spring and is working out with the team. Looks like @GoJacksFB is adding another arm to the competition to replace Taryn. #GoJacks
          He's had an interesting college career. Red shirt year at Iowa Western, then was set to be the starter after winning a competition in camp, then let the other QB start in honor of his brother being killed, and that guy had a huge game and remained the starter from then on. Even with that, he impressed enough people to earn a spot on ASU's roster and was competing for the 2nd spot on the depth chart. I'm guessing he's very hungry for some real playing time at this point. I'm glad he's here, sounds like a really nice kid and a team first guy. At a minimum he's going to push the freshman QBs very hard for the starting job. Here's a story on him from when he transferred to ASU: https://arizonastate.rivals.com/news...qb-competition

Comment

Here is Kurt Waldings' highlight reel from his Redshirt Freshman here at Iowa Western CC.

No clue how the kid will pan out, but he does appear to have the physical talent to compete and seems to have performed well when he's seen action.

I'm just happy we're bringing in a veteran QB to compete with the Nelson, Gibbs, and Connors. We need competent QB play to go along with all the talent we bring back.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

My guess is that he'll be in the mix... this is his Iowa Western Page... he really only played the first 2 games, but he had decent stats in those games.
              http://www.goreivers.com/sports/fbal...gamelog&pos=qb

Also, for Last Chance U fans, he was the starter for the game when Iowa Western defeated Independence, KS in the first game of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                Here is Kurt Waldings' highlight reel from his Redshirt Freshman here at Iowa Western CC.

No clue how the kid will pan out, but he does appear to have the physical talent to compete and seems to have performed well when he's seen action.

I'm just happy we're bringing in a veteran QB to compete with the Nelson, Gibbs, and Connors. We need competent QB play to go along with all the talent we bring back.
                Pretty solid tape for not playing that much in his one year at Iowa Western. Seems to scan the field well, can zip the ball, run well, and I like his ability to improvise when he feels pressure in the pocket.

Overall this makes me feel much more confident about next year, knowing that if one of the freshman win the starting job, they had to beat out someone like this instead of just Nelson and the other freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Jackrabbit_Illstrtd
                  @JackIllustrated

Being in school now and participating in spring practice is a big plus.

Comment

The coaches know far more than we do, but it seems a bit risky going into next season with our current options at QB. Looking at Walding's stats at Iowa Western and I wouldn't think they translate into a starting MVFC QB.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                      The coaches know far more than we do, but it seems a bit risky going into next season with our current options at QB. Looking at Walding's stats at Iowa Western and I wouldn't think they translate into a starting MVFC QB.
                      What do you propose we do instead? Also, his stats (which are very limited because of the situation I explained earlier) at Iowa Western got him an offer to Arizona State, so... I think he has the potential to start in the MVFC.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                        None of the guys that we have competing for the job have stats that translate into being a MVFC QB. That is what happens when you have a 4-year starter and a bunch of young guys.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          What do you propose we do instead? Also, his stats (which are very limited because of the situation I explained earlier) at Iowa Western got him an offer to Arizona State, so... I think he has the potential to start in the MVFC.
                          I'd propose that we recruit and sign the best JUCO QB in the FCS, which I believe we should be able to do based on our consistent top 5 rankings, QB friendly offense and top facilities. I'd like this program to keep challenging for a Natty every year and I feel at times we don't do enough in the off-season to address gaps in our depth chart by bringing in JUCO players.

My reasoning for saying that Walding doesn't look like a future starting QB for the Jacks was based on the fact that his JUCO stats were not great (although not very much data):

105 Att, 50% completion rate, 5.9 y/a, 6td - 5 int, 110 passer rating

No Jacks QB in the DI era has had a lower yards per attempt, as high of and INT per Att, and the passer rating best matches with Dalton Douglas and Thomas O'Brien.

Walding wasn't the consistent starter at his high school or his JUCO program and was added to Arizona State roster as a walk-on when they were desperate for a camp body with two QBs transferring out and ended up as the third string. (not the most to go off) Last year, the poor program of Indiana St brought in Ryan Boyle from Iowa who was the QB starting ahead of Walding in high school.

--

All of that said, I'm also aware that the coaches know more than I do and we've brought in many players who didn't look great on paper before coming in and having a big impact for the team.

Here's some positive things going for Walding -

- He did get one DI offer to SEMO before his 2017 JUCO year:
                          https://twitter.com/KurtWalding13/st...96146109652993

- One website ranked him as the #2 best JUCO QB heading into 2017: https://twitter.com/GridironRR/statu...06791886262272
                          Last edited by mitchell; 01-12-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The QB carousel at many FBS schools will be going on well into Spring. There will be many incoming Freshman that will be early enrolling in the spring to go through Spring FB, and there is still the transfers. The movement is far from over. Jalen Hurts, the Georgia QB who transferred to Ohio State, also there is a Oklahoma QB that is transferring, all of these create other transfers. One to watch is Wisconsin. New stud QB coming in could create a transfer or two.

Comment

I bet the Jacks would have been thrilled to land Kurt Walding directly out of Dowling Catholic High School in Iowa, which went 13-0 his senior season. Arizona State fans were pretty high on him. Here's what the Sun Devil Club had to say about him:
                              * Transfer quarterback prospect from junior college powerhouse Iowa Western.
                              * Outstanding size and a strong throwing arm give him a chance to compete at the Division I level.
                              * Great competitor as he has had to earn playing time at every level.
                              * Offers the Sun Devils a physically gifted quarterback option that provides depth and adds to the scout team depth.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                I bet the Jacks would have been thrilled to land Kurt Walding directly out of Dowling Catholic High School in Iowa, which went 13-0 his senior season. Arizona State fans were pretty high on him. Here's what the Sun Devil Club had to say about him:
                                * Transfer quarterback prospect from junior college powerhouse Iowa Western.
                                * Outstanding size and a strong throwing arm give him a chance to compete at the Division I level.
                                * Great competitor as he has had to earn playing time at every level.
                                * Offers the Sun Devils a physically gifted quarterback option that provides depth and adds to the scout team depth.
                                - Pretty sure Walding went the JUCO route because he had no DI offers - Jacks didn't offer him out of high school
                                - Find me a school media site that doesn't talk highly of the players on their team's roster
                                - I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Walding doesn't have a scholarship for SDSU but more of a camp tryout

- I don't want to tear down Walding - All I'm saying is that I don't expect us to go into next year with a mix of Gibbs, Nelson and Walding competing for the starting spot without us bringing in a legit transfer or JUCO player. And if they do go into 19 season with those three, I for one would be a bit disappointed (but ready to be proven wrong )

The reason I'm willing to die on this hill and continue the conversation is that I can bet you that the school to the north wouldn't be satisfied if their current QB competition looked like ours. Time for Jacks fans to dream big, dream blue, and GO JACKS!

Comment

Working...
                                X