Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 QB starter

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    - Pretty sure Walding went the JUCO route because he had no DI offers - Jacks didn't offer him out of high school
    - Find me a school media site that doesn't talk highly of the players on their team's roster
    - I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Walding doesn't have a scholarship for SDSU but more of a camp tryout

- I don't want to tear down Walding - All I'm saying is that I don't expect us to go into next year with a mix of Gibbs, Nelson and Walding competing for the starting spot without us bringing in a legit transfer or JUCO player. And if they do go into 19 season with those three, I for one would be a bit disappointed (but ready to be proven wrong )

The reason I'm willing to die on this hill and continue the conversation is that I can bet you that the school to the north wouldn't be satisfied if their current QB competition looked like ours. Time for Jacks fans to dream big, dream blue, and GO JACKS!
    Northern would probably love to be in the Jacks' shoes . Sorry, trying not to think of the dang Bison (and hoping we'll have additional exciting Jacks news as months continue)
    Last edited by jakejc795; 01-12-2019, 12:24 PM. Reason: Typo/redundancy

Comment

- Pretty sure Walding went the JUCO route because he had no DI offers - Jacks didn't offer him out of high school
      - Find me a school media site that doesn't talk highly of the players on their team's roster
      - I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Walding doesn't have a scholarship for SDSU but more of a camp tryout

- I don't want to tear down Walding - All I'm saying is that I don't expect us to go into next year with a mix of Gibbs, Nelson and Walding competing for the starting spot without us bringing in a legit transfer or JUCO player. And if they do go into 19 season with those three, I for one would be a bit disappointed (but ready to be proven wrong )

The reason I'm willing to die on this hill and continue the conversation is that I can bet you that the school to the north wouldn't be satisfied if their current QB competition looked like ours. Time for Jacks fans to dream big, dream blue, and GO JACKS!
      Not sure how anyone can determine who are legit JUCO prospects. A year ago Minnesota signed Vic Viramontes, from Riverside CC in California. He was the highest rated dual threat JUCO QB in the country. He went through spring practice, couldn't beat out two true freshmen, and went back to Riverside where they turned him into a linebacker. It was discussed on a basketball thread how the success rate for JUCO transfers is not very high. It seem that for every Deondre Parks, you get a number who don't work out. I don't think that means you stop recruiting JUCO's, but you need to understand that you don't really know what you have until you get them on campus and in the program.

Comment

I'd propose that we recruit and sign the best JUCO QB in the FCS, which I believe we should be able to do based on our consistent top 5 rankings, QB friendly offense and top facilities. I'd like this program to keep challenging for a Natty every year and I feel at times we don't do enough in the off-season to address gaps in our depth chart by bringing in JUCO players.

My reasoning for saying that Walding doesn't look like a future starting QB for the Jacks was based on the fact that his JUCO stats were not great (although not very much data):

105 Att, 50% completion rate, 5.9 y/a, 6td - 5 int, 110 passer rating

No Jacks QB in the DI era has had a lower yards per attempt, as high of and INT per Att, and the passer rating best matches with Dalton Douglas and Thomas O'Brien.

Walding wasn't the consistent starter at his high school or his JUCO program and was added to Arizona State roster as a walk-on when they were desperate for a camp body with two QBs transferring out and ended up as the third string. (not the most to go off) Last year, the poor program of Indiana St brought in Ryan Boyle from Iowa who was the QB starting ahead of Walding in high school.

--

All of that said, I'm also aware that the coaches know more than I do and we've brought in many players who didn't look great on paper before coming in and having a big impact for the team.

Here's some positive things going for Walding -

- He did get one DI offer to SEMO before his 2017 JUCO year:
        https://twitter.com/KurtWalding13/st...96146109652993

- One website ranked him as the #2 best JUCO QB heading into 2017: https://twitter.com/GridironRR/statu...06791886262272
        I came into this expecting to argue, but you've actually sold me. Not nearly as high on this as I was at first glance. Though I don't it's quite as easy as your first couple sentences make it sound.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

This isn’t the NFL free agency here...it takes two to participate. The recruit has to commit to us. I’m sure EE, Stig and crew have/are looking at options. Heck the way a few of you make it sound Jalen Hurts should be here already taking classes.

The conpetition is amped up with the addition of Walding. His HS career he was behind former Hawkeye Ryan Boyle at QB, hence the only one season of play. I for one feel much better now about the QB room.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            This isn’t the NFL free agency here...it takes two to participate. The recruit has to commit to us. I’m sure EE, Stig and crew have/are looking at options. Heck the way a few of you make it sound Jalen Hurts should be here already taking classes.

The conpetition is amped up with the addition of Walding. His HS career he was behind former Hawkeye Ryan Boyle at QB, hence the only one season of play. I for one feel much better now about the QB room.
            I agree. We are going into the season throwing as many bodies at the position as we can to see what sticks. Having a seasoned guy in the running makes that a little more tolerable.

For all we know none if the guys we have in camp are a dependable starter.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

And it's not like the coaching staff isn't trying. The ISU transfer that went to NDSU had the Bison and the Jacks as his final two.

Comment

I am still a little shy on transfers, but I am certainly willing to give Kurt Walding a chance. When you have a chance to improve the roster, your are a fool not to take it and he may very well do that. What my research shows is that he is really a good kid that is a well grounded and is definitely team oriented guy. He has been willing to do whatever is good for the team no matter where he was at. He didn't quit mid season like some transfers do. He seems to have a really good arm in fact one of the ASU media stories had a lot of good things to say about his accuracy, saying it was better than their starter and had more touch on his throws than their starter. One of their commentators that seems to be fairly in touch with their program has this to say about him this past August. Manny is their starter.

"you know I loved that one tape of KW where he shows the accuracy that Likens and Herm have already spoken about. IMO, they bring that up because they both know how really hard it is for a defense to stop accurate throws, especially when KW is throwing such a pretty, really catchable ball away from the defender and hitting his WR in the hands with the ball. Thru last year, Manny struggled to throw catchable balls on throws of shorter distance. Manny only produced that nose-up-perfect-spiral when he literally looked like he threw it as hard as he could. People I have spoken to who have watched KW in practice say that he’s already more accurate than Manny in putting the ball where it is supposed to be, and that his ball is just as pretty/ catchable when thrown 40-45 yards as it is when thrown at 10. They also like how KW only puts pace on his ball when necessary, something Manny hadn’t learned as of last year."

One of the question I had was why was he transferring. It looks like ASU signed three top 35 quarterbacks in this years signing class including a top 5 so I'm sure they are going to get priority. He was a walk on, and they may not have been willing to extend a scholarship to him but that is pure speculation on my part.
                Bottom line is that he hasn't ever been the full time starter at any level, although at IWCC he was named starter at beginning of year. He seems like a guy that will fit in with our current teams personality. At worst, he will be a really solid backup if we need it. It appears he has the physical attributes to be a starting quarterback, but I guess we have to trust the coaching staff to determine if he has the intangibles that can lead this team to a national championship.

Last edited by Sodakbull; 01-13-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

This isnÂ’t the NFL free agency here...it takes two to participate. The recruit has to commit to us. IÂ’m sure EE, Stig and crew have/are looking at options. Heck the way a few of you make it sound Jalen Hurts should be here already taking classes.

Even in Walding's one season in high school he split time with fellow senior JT Brown who has ended up as a backup at an NAIA school. He's likely thrown less than 200 passes as a part-time high school starter for one season plus 2 games of JUCO.

Glad he's on the team and happy he'll add competition to the QB room but still holding out that if the coaches don't feel Gibbs is ready or Nelson has the stuff to be our starter that they are grinding to find another option. Lujan was a lightly recruited JUCO QB that was better than solid so I would think we could get someone his caliber or better.

Boyle to Indiana State is a great example of how a good QB can make all the difference and a team as piss poor as Indiana State can get Boyle, that sets the expectation bar. Beyond Iowa St QB Zeb Noland transferring to NDSU, another Iowa St QB (Devon Moore) is transferring to USD. He held offers from Toledo and Illinois St out of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                    I am still a little shy on transfers, but I am certainly willing to give Kurt Walding a chance. When you have a chance to improve the roster, your are a fool not to take it and he may very well do that. What my research shows is that he is really a good kid that is a well grounded and is definitely team oriented guy. He has been willing to do whatever is good for the team no matter where he was at. He didn't quit mid season like some transfers do. He seems to have a really good arm in fact one of the ASU media stories had a lot of good things to say about his accuracy, saying it was better than their starter and had more touch on his throws than their starter. One of their commentators that seems to be fairly in touch with their program has this to say about him this past August. Manny is their starter.
                    SDSU has had pretty good success with transfers in DI :

Worked out great (10):
                    QB - Zach Lujan - Chabot JUCO
                    FB - Kyle Sheehan - Purdue
                    WR - Brian Janacek - Western Illinois
                    G - Sepestiano Pupungatoa - Army
                    DE - Jared Blum - Nebraska
                    DE - Jason Bonwell - Glendale JUCO
                    DT - David Hettiger - Omaha
                    CB- Winston Wright - Missouri
                    S - Melvin Tavares - Ventura JUCO
                    P - Jason Schlautman - Omaha

Worked out well (15):
                    WR - Saunders Montague - Scottsdale JUCO
                    WR - Larves Jones - Fort Scott JUCO
                    DE - Marshall Peugh - Glendale JUCO
                    DE - Zach Bowers - Fort Scott JUCO
                    DE - Landon Schultz - Iowa Western JUCO
                    DT - Bryan Burke - Scottsdale JUCO
                    LB - Mike James - Fort Scott JUCO
                    LB - Tyler Trees - North Iowa JUCO
                    CB - Anthony Washington - Laney JUCO
                    CB - General Parnell - Idaho
                    CB - David Godley - Glendale JUCO
                    CB - Daryl Jackson - Fresno City JUCO
                    S - Brandon Snyder - Iowa
                    S - Andrew Brown - Iowa Western JUCO
                    S - James Epps - Fort Scott JUCO

Didn't move the needle (9):
                    QB - Jordan Thomas - Santa Ana JUCO
                    QB - Mike Whittier - Air Force
                    QB - Lee Mondol - Ventura JUCO
                    OL - Travis Zimmerman - Iowa Western JUCO
                    OL - Alex Dominguez - Antelope Valley JUCO
                    OL - Jeremiah Szafranski - Glendale College
                    DE - Rob Diane - Ridgewater JUCO
                    DE - Kevin Kloceck - RCTC JUCO
                    DE - Mao Lefiti - Palomar JUCO

Yet to find out:
                    OL - Grant Schmidt - Cincinnati
                    CB - Bryce Banks - North Carolina State
                    OL - Logan Busch - Iowa Western JUCO

Comment

SDSU has had pretty good success with transfers in DI :

Worked out great (10):
                      QB - Zach Lujan - Chabot JUCO
                      FB - Kyle Sheehan - Purdue
                      WR - Brian Janacek - Western Illinois
                      G - Sepestiano Pupungatoa - Army
                      DE - Jared Blum - Nebraska
                      DE - Jason Bonwell - Glendale JUCO
                      DT - David Hettiger - Omaha
                      CB- Winston Wright - Missouri
                      S - Melvin Tavares - Ventura JUCO
                      P - Jason Schlautman - Omaha

Worked out well (15):
                      WR - Saunders Montague - Scottsdale JUCO
                      WR - Larves Jones - Fort Scott JUCO
                      DE - Marshall Peugh - Glendale JUCO
                      DE - Zach Bowers - Fort Scott JUCO
                      DE - Landon Schultz - Iowa Western JUCO
                      DT - Bryan Burke - Scottsdale JUCO
                      LB - Mike James - Fort Scott JUCO
                      LB - Tyler Trees - North Iowa JUCO
                      CB - Anthony Washington - Laney JUCO
                      CB - General Parnell - Idaho
                      CB - David Godley - Glendale JUCO
                      CB - Daryl Jackson - Fresno City JUCO
                      S - Brandon Snyder - Iowa
                      S - Andrew Brown - Iowa Western JUCO
                      S - James Epps - Fort Scott JUCO

Didn't move the needle (9):
                      QB - Jordan Thomas - Santa Ana JUCO
                      QB - Mike Whittier - Air Force
                      QB - Lee Mondol - Ventura JUCO
                      OL - Travis Zimmerman - Iowa Western JUCO
                      OL - Alex Dominguez - Antelope Valley JUCO
                      OL - Jeremiah Szafranski - Glendale College
                      DE - Rob Diane - Ridgewater JUCO
                      DE - Kevin Kloceck - RCTC JUCO
                      DE - Mao Lefiti - Palomar JUCO

Yet to find out:
                      OL - Grant Schmidt - Cincinnati
                      CB - Bryce Banks - North Carolina State
                      OL - Logan Busch - Iowa Western JUCO
                      You can also add LB Cody Hazelett to the Worked Out Well category.

Comment

Gibbs it is.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Gibbs it is.
                          Interesting. Has he been named the starter already? Taking the most reps?
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            Gibbs it is.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              Cmom Cappin, JackMD successfully predicted that Mike Daum would grad transfer after his junior year.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...ike-Daum/page2

We should have no reason to doubt. #purplefont

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                Cmom Cappin, JackMD successfully predicted that Mike Daum would grad transfer after his junior year.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...ike-Daum/page2

We should have no reason to doubt. #purplefont
                                Ha, I forgot about that. Here's the post you were referring to... http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...115#post317115

I wonder if this info is from the same "source close to the program".

Comment

Working...
                                X