Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: @NDSU Bison (semifinals)

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Yep. Concussions are weird. I don't think any one is the same.
    This is correct. Being a sports concussion researcher, concussions are like finger prints, not one is the same. An individual's recovery from a hit, whether it looks "bad" or not, makes little difference. It is how that person's brain reacts to the hit. There are so many factors (eg. what is previous history, possibly genetics, what part of the brain was affected, etc.). I am in the process of reviewing video of over 2000 head impacts from a youth football team and the high impact hits (large linear acceleration g-force hits) you would think would cause an injury don't and head impacts that don't look very "bad" may cause a concussion in a specific person.

I don't know Snyder's case but for individuals to know exactly where he is at in the recovery period based on the hit they saw he took last Saturday is not how the concussion return-to-play protocol works (if he is in that concussion protocol at all).

Comment

This game needs to start...soon

980x.jpg
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        This is correct. Being a sports concussion researcher, concussions are like finger prints, not one is the same. An individual's recovery from a hit, whether it looks "bad" or not, makes little difference. It is how that person's brain reacts to the hit. There are so many factors (eg. what is previous history, possibly genetics, what part of the brain was affected, etc.). I am in the process of reviewing video of over 2000 head impacts from a youth football team and the high impact hits (large linear acceleration g-force hits) you would think would cause an injury don't and head impacts that don't look very "bad" may cause a concussion in a specific person.

I don't know Snyder's case but for individuals to know exactly where he is at in the recovery period based on the hit they saw he took last Saturday is not how the concussion return-to-play protocol works (if he is in that concussion protocol at all).
        A little off topic - But does the type of hit matter? For example, does a helmet to helmet cause more damage than helmet to turf?

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          A little off topic - But does the type of hit matter? For example, does a helmet to helmet cause more damage than helmet to turf?
          Possibly. Also if that person can brace themselves for the hit or are aware of the hit . Where they got hit (front, side, top or back of the helmet) may also play into it.
          It may also make a difference the number of hits they took before the hit that caused the injury. Their brain may still be stunned from a previous hit and then they take another hit (big or small) and it sends them "over the edge". Concussions are a very complex issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I think it also depends on the person. Look at Justin Morneau. His career was basically derailed because of a concussion on a play that really looked pretty harmless.
            While it does depend on the person, the number of concussions also plays a big factor in it. That wasn't Morneau's first concussion, he had several from playing hockey in Canada growing up.

Comment

We had a converstation at work this afternoon about a perfect scenario for tonight's game. I said that any scenario that had SDSU up by 2 scores going into the 4th would be ideal. We need to be up by at least 7 going into the 4th.

Comment

SDSU's hype video. Meh. We need a good video guy back.

https://twitter.com/gojacksfb/status...828976644?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  SDSU's hype video. Meh. We need a good video guy back.

https://twitter.com/gojacksfb/status...828976644?s=21
                  Cold cutting the audio...slow transitions...too long of video cuts. It is everything that we learned NOT to do in my first year of video production at State.

Comment

What happened to the old video guy.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

KK did not make the trip per Tyler Merriam on KWSN at 4:20 today.

Snyder expected to play, per Zimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        What happened to the old video guy.
                        Job at Indiana.

Comment

ESPN2 is showing a PSU-ASU wrestling match that's not going to finish anywhere near 7. Hopefully they'll start the game on ESPN News or at least on the app.

Comment

Never have I ever been this excited for a football game I wasn't playing in! Let's do this! Go Jacks!!

Comment

It’s on ESPNews

Comment

Ugh. 3 and out. Taryn missed a wide open Anderson on the first play.

Comment

Working...
                                X