Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @NDSU Bison (semifinals)

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    Thanks for the gracious post. I agree. Question for you though. Are you in the same camp as the asshats inn bisonville thst think you should be s top 10 team? That’s excessive self-engraciating at a level previously unknown to staunchest Bison fan.

Sad, really.

SUPERBUNNY
    I don't post there or haven't in a long time. Rarely go over there anymore so I haven't seen the posts/comments you are referring to. If you are asking me do I think the Bison are top 10 with FBS no. Do I think they are top 25 yes. But the scholly difference and a full slate of FBS play would be a different animal. Depends on the conference they would be in. I think NDSU would compete and possibly win the MAC or the MWC and very likely win the Sun Belt or CUSA but games against teams like Alabama or Ohio State in the P5 conferences would be interesting to watch and as they say AGS but realistically we don't win those Ohio State/Alabama games. Are there teams we would beat in the P5 absolutely. Hell the team Kleiman is going to in KState wouldn't beat this NDSU team. The top tier of FCS can compete with much of the FBS and win. But the top tier of FBS is another animal altogether. Fun to speculate on but unfortunately that's all it is....speculation.

Edit to my original post.
    One thing that would be really fun although we all know it will never happen as FBS teams don't travel to FCS teams but how much would your opinion change on wherever you think the Bison may belong in that discussion if they played a normal home and away schedule against the FBS? Playing at home would tilt the scale a bit and depending on the team they'd play it would be interesting to see just how much of a difference it would make against a full schedule of FBS teams. How many times have posters here and elsewhere said "if we could just get them out of that dome and on our home turf" when talking about the Bison???????

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      This has got to be the best all-around team NDSU has ever had. I know their fans might beg to differ, but they're 14-0 and just beat the daylights out of the only team that challenged them this year.
      The number of seniors very interesting, seems I recall medical redshirts and this year they were all healthy by and large. I recall the reccuiting footrace for Easton Stick. One thing I like about Easton his ability in running the red zone. That’s not to take away from TC. He served us well.

Comment

I dont think there is much shame losing to the best team in the country. Jmu its year had. Cinderella run with. Defense to match ndsu. Wr are probably the 2 or 3rd best team in the country. For fans who can't handle that. It sure beats the Ncc days of 6-5 and getting destroyed by both north Dakota schools. Not to make excuses but the injury bug got us this year as much as I have seen in awhile. We have as much young top talent and more then a lot of schools. We had a lot of underclassmen take on big roles and did amazing. Good things are yet to come.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker View Post
          I don't post there or haven't in a long time. Rarely go over there anymore so I haven't seen the posts/comments you are referring to. If you are asking me do I think the Bison are top 10 with FBS no. Do I think they are top 25 yes. But the scholly difference and a full slate of FBS play would be a different animal. Depends on the conference they would be in. I think NDSU would compete and possibly win the MAC or the MWC and very likely win the Sun Belt or CUSA but games against teams like Alabama or Ohio State in the P5 conferences would be interesting to watch and as they say AGS but realistically we don't win those Ohio State/Alabama games. Are there teams we would beat in the P5 absolutely. Hell the team Kleiman is going to in KState wouldn't beat this NDSU team. The top tier of FCS can compete with much of the FBS and win. But the top tier of FBS is another animal altogether. Fun to speculate on but unfortunately that's all it is....speculation.

Edit to my original post.
          One thing that would be really fun although we all know it will never happen as FBS teams don't travel to FCS teams but how much would your opinion change on wherever you think the Bison may belong in that discussion if they played a normal home and away schedule against the FBS? Playing at home would tilt the scale a bit and depending on the team they'd play it would be interesting to see just how much of a difference it would make against a full schedule of FBS teams. How many times have posters here and elsewhere said "if we could just get them out of that dome and on our home turf" when talking about the Bison???????
          Glad to hear you aren't one of those asshats . We have them too. I have lots of respect for your program. Heck, its where we want to go.

You are right that it is all speculation. Unfortunately, no way will an FBS come to an FCS school. I have said for a long time that I believe your program will try and go FBS in the next decade. The two challenges being getting enough seating into the Fargo Mall and finding a conference. My question would be whether or not it would be worth it to jump to a non-P5 conference? That would be a borderline lateral move IMHO and you would lose all rival games. Will be interesting to see if you do it or not. My gut says yes.

Go win it all in Frisco! Maybe next year is the year we get you in the postseason.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            This is based on the whole season and previous seasons. Not just tonight. I'm done with the "bend but don't break" defense. Watching receivers run 7 yd hitches and get the ball thrown to them without any of our defenders within 10 yds gets old. It's so easy to game plan against. Indiana State should have beat us this year by finding the wide open soft spots in our weak pass defense. You would think that if we had a weak pass defense, maybe we're spelling out on the run. Nope. We run a vanilla base defense play after play. I think the argument that we should be happy because we've had two runs to the semis is bull ****. Who cares if we're better than 95% of the league? We are in the top 5% and still looking for that elusive championship. If we want to get from the former to the latter, something has to change. If we sit around and just hope that NDSU drops down to our level, we're going to be disappointed.
            Ok, I will buy on a lot of this. Thought it was just letting steam off after last night. Agree 100% that we should be happy with the run to semis being BS. They are great things but what do we have to do to get to the next level. We have a long way to go to be at their level. Proud of what we have done. Time to take it up another level. I am excited about some of the young talent we have on the defensive side of the ball. IMHO it has to begin with the D-Line. Win the battle in the trenches and win the game.

It is ironic that our offense has always been completely in love with the wide receiver screen pass which never gains more than 5 yards but is risky as hell and yet our defense gives up 7 yard hitches all night long like you said. Both of those need to change.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

I'll say 2 things regarding the Brown DC situation.

If Stig is the one who holds things in veto with the D, that's a shame. That doesn't seem to happen on Offense, and you would think that at some point in the last several years, he would have adapted after some terrible performances. Our offense has completely changed and adapted over the last 4 years, so why would one be allowed to change and one be set in stone? I'm not sure that makes sense.

Secondly, if Brown is handcuffed by Stig, I'm surprised he's been on staff as the DC since 2013 and weathered those types of performances. If it was me in that situation, I'd want to look for a new job. I'm not sure very many coordinators out there with put up with being hamstrung by their head coach for 6 years, with the result reflecting poorly on their own job performance.

It could be, but I'm saying that there is some evidence to sguest otherwise.

To keep it civil regarding the defense, I'll reiterate that a philosophy change is needed. Whether that comes from Stig letting his D coordinator do his job, or a different Coordinator, I don't care. And again, I fully acknowledge that we improved on that side of the ball this year, and it's a big reason why we were able to make it back to the semis.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

3) If we want to make it down to Frisco, we need to quit ****ING up in October. If we win at UNI this October, we're hosting Maine tomorrow and our chances of making it to Frisco go way up. I think that's the bigger piece that's missing than our playoff blowout losses. Those blowout losses are happening because we end up playing in places like Fargo and H-burg, where the wheels can fall off quick.

This is spot on. Now, it doesn't change what would have probably happened in Frisco but there is little doubt it cost us a really good shot at advancing to the finals.

Often times it is too easy to discount what it means to be a program that is having success and how it continues to breed more of the same. NDSU runs along with programs like Alabama, the New England Patriots, the Golden State Warriors, and others that in their league are there every single year. That is hard to do. Really hard. And it can't be overstated how the teams that have that kind of tradition have the ability and confidence to raise their level in the post season. They have the knowledge that they have been there and done that and they want to win the next one a lot more than the last. They also know that when they are playing a team that hasn't gotten it done that they have big advantage with that experience. IMHO that is exactly where NDSU and SDSU are right now.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Stig being a former DC he may have more input on that side of the ball. How much improvement was just based on experience at all positions and then add in a former all Big10 safety- a position where we had lost both starters? DB will be a position to watch as there will be new starters and maybe (hopefully?) some philosophical changes. Agree with the post regarding Brown staying for so long if he's unable to do what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    This has got to be the best all-around team NDSU has ever had. I know their fans might beg to differ, but they're 14-0 and just beat the daylights out of the only team that challenged them this year.
                    No disagreement here. This Bison team is on another level.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
                    2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      Glad to hear you aren't one of those asshats . We have them too. I have lots of respect for your program. Heck, its where we want to go.

You are right that it is all speculation. Unfortunately, no way will an FBS come to an FCS school. I have said for a long time that I believe your program will try and go FBS in the next decade. The two challenges being getting enough seating into the Fargo Mall and finding a conference. My question would be whether or not it would be worth it to jump to a non-P5 conference? That would be a borderline lateral move IMHO and you would lose all rival games. Will be interesting to see if you do it or not. My gut says yes.

Go win it all in Frisco! Maybe next year is the year we get you in the postseason.

SUPERBUNNY
                      I'll be curious what Sagarin has to say. We aren't top 10...but would 15 be out of line? The top 5 are really where it's at...big drop off after that...at least imho. I believe in 2013 Sagarin had NDSU at 17 in the end. Sagarin has it's issues too...but it is a fun thing to look at.

Anyway, good season for you guys. Looks like you are loaded with Strong. He's only going to get better...and that's scary.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                        We definitely missed Krolikowski tonight, we are a different defense when he is there plugging up the middle. Tackling sucked and overall we just didn't have it in us to win tonight. Big thank you to TC and all the other Seniors, you have elevated this program to another level, and hopefully this will be the new foundation to build off of.

PS, Pierre Strong Jr is ****ing awesome.

GO JACKS!!!
                        I'm not saying that SDSU would have won even if they are healthy but you can't be missing your best defensive linemen against NDSU. They will just run it down your throat.
                        Stick was just tougher than TC. TC got landed on and he was gun shy after that. I don't see Stick sliding before the first down marker, running out of bounds short of the first down line and other things like that. TC had a couple of options to run the ball on one play but threw the ball out of bounds instead. TC is a good player and I'm glad he played for SDSU but he just isn't the same QB if he gets pressured. I will repeat the pressure part because I know people will think I'm just down on him. He ran the ball really well his freshman year but didn't run as much the rest of his career because they didn't want him to get injured. I understand that but it hurt SDSU in this game.
                        You could tell that NDSU had 24 seniors. I didn't expect to beat them this season. I think Brown leaving will really hurt. The other CB got picked on all game. Other than that, I think SDSU would have a better shot against NDSU next year. We will see how that plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                          I'll be curious what Sagarin has to say. We aren't top 10...but would 15 be out of line? The top 5 are really where it's at...big drop off after that...at least imho. I believe in 2013 Sagarin had NDSU at 17 in the end. Sagarin has it's issues too...but it is a fun thing to look at.

Anyway, good season for you guys. Looks like you are loaded with Strong. He's only going to get better...and that's scary.
                          It is not out of line to believe the Bison could compete with the bottom half of the top 25 in FBS. Those teams have a lot of weaknesses. Bison could easily finish above .500 with a Gophers type schedule.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            The number of seniors very interesting, seems I recall medical redshirts and this year they were all healthy by and large. I recall the reccuiting footrace for Easton Stick. One thing I like about Easton his ability in running the red zone. That’s not to take away from TC. He served us well.
                            Itmagine stickwith TC's arm. What a competitor.
                            Last edited by jbjack; 12-15-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              It is not out of line to believe the Bison could compete with the bottom half of the top 25 in FBS. Those teams have a lot of weaknesses. Bison could easily finish above .500 with a Gophers type schedule.
                              Ndsu would be a solid big 10 or 12 team really. For sure would have. Winning record.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Made it to the game yesterday, every bison fan I talked to was great. Nothing but good things about o say about us and wished us luck and congrats after the game. I was quite impressed after hearing so many bad things about people’s trips to Fargo.
                                Really frustrated with our defensive play calling last night, absolutely zero creativity in the most important game of the year is hard to understand. Can’t understand why you would sit in base defense all night when it obviously wasn’t working. I know our coaches don’t get paid a ton, but anyone with any football knowledge could have called a more aggressive game than that. I really feel bad for the players that get told to run the defense like that, really takes away from their athletic talents. It seemed earlier in the year we were much more aggressive and blitzed more often, last night we did almost nothing but base defense. Very frustrating to watch.
                                Another thing that was odd was how we had roughly 10 plays with a person injured, don’t think the bison had any. Either really poor luck for us or they are just tougher. I think the latter

Comment

Working...
                                X