GDT: @NDSU Bison (semifinals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @NDSU Bison (semifinals)

So this was the 3rd closest score off the top of my head ndsu played this year. Our first game then ysu then I think this game. We were bad across the board but only one other game ndsu gave up more points then this one. We are not far off. Consistent play is key. Play by play and game to game. Our offense stunk at uni. Our D stunk against isub the issues are our offense and defense are prone to struggle more then ndsu. Ndsu struggled at uni on defense but their offense but up over 50. Their offense struggled with Youngstown but their D was amazing. 90% of their time both sides of the ball with be dominate. The only way to beat them is hope both sides struggle the same game or you play about the perfect game like we did the last few years when we beat them.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      This is based on the whole season and previous seasons. Not just tonight. I'm done with the "bend but don't break" defense. Watching receivers run 7 yd hitches and get the ball thrown to them without any of our defenders within 10 yds gets old. It's so easy to game plan against. Indiana State should have beat us this year by finding the wide open soft spots in our weak pass defense. You would think that if we had a weak pass defense, maybe we're spelling out on the run. Nope. We run a vanilla base defense play after play. I think the argument that we should be happy because we've had two runs to the semis is bull ****. Who cares if we're better than 95% of the league? We are in the top 5% and still looking for that elusive championship. If we want to get from the former to the latter, something has to change. If we sit around and just hope that NDSU drops down to our level, we're going to be disappointed.
      Our defensive philosophy of "bend but don't break" has been in place since the Mike Daly era. You can do the research yourself to find out who our D Coordinator was at that time. It will not change until a change occurs at the top. Stig has done great things for the school and taken the FB program to a new level. This team is going to be hard to beat next year, we need to stop laying eggs against average teams in the middle of the year (see UNI) so we don't end up in Fargo. That said, the defensive philosophy we all hate so much, it is not going to change anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        Our defensive philosophy of "bend but don't break" has been in place since the Mike Daly era. You can do the research yourself to find out who our D Coordinator was at that time. It will not change until a change occurs at the top. Stig has done great things for the school and taken the FB program to a new level. This team is going to be hard to beat next year, we need to stop laying eggs against average teams in the middle of the year (see UNI) so we don't end up in Fargo. That said, the defensive philosophy we all hate so much, it is not going to change anytime soon.
        Totally. We should go back to what we were doing before Stig came to Brookings. Hilarious.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Stig was the defensive coordinator so what’s your point?

Comment

I was at the game and have decided I’m not reading this thread. My wife, however, has read this thread and has pointed out a couple of posts. I have two comments on the subject of concussions raised by a Bison troller:

BACKGROUND:

-- Thesocalledfan at Post 160: Multiple media report Christian had a concussion. No matter to stig... Just like Berry. thank you for extending him.”

-- Later in the thread, SteelSD posted “Pretty sure so-called fan is the tool sitting behind me at the game. Spouting this crap all night and being a total d-bag. Rest of the Bizun fans around us have been cool” In reply, Thesocaledfan posted (past 195): “Probably, but what did I say that was untrue? Stig cares nothing for player safety”

FIRST COMMENT:

To Thesocalledfan: You have asserted in a public forum, that TC had a concussion. Your second post on the subject restates your assertion with your question “What did I say that was untrue?” No actual substantiation of the claim was provided.

Knowing Thesocalledfan is reading this board, I propose the following: SDSU’s sideline medical team includes excellent Sanford Health doctors whose duties include participating in the diagnosis of whether a player is concussed and should or should not be playing. Thesocalledfan says TC had a concussion. He is asserting, without support, that the sideline medical team did not do their jobs. His assertion is more than a statement of opinion. His second post daring to be challenged on whether he said anything that was false, further shows he intended to assert a fact. I refuse to believe the assertion. My guess is most readers of this board also refuse to believe the assertion. I propose Thesocalledfan, being a health-care professional at Sanford Health, should go down the hall at work and ask the doctors involved whether TC had a concussion and should have been sidelined. [Thesocalledfan: while you’re at it, why not “cc” the Sanford legal department with the position you have taken and the inquiry you’re making of the physicians working with SDSU’s team.]

SECOND COMMENT:

There is some evidence that there WAS a person wearing the blue and yellow at the
            FargoDome who exhibited signs of head trauma but who was not taken for examination or treatment by medical professionals. That’d be me. I had predicted pregame: SDSU by two TDs. My head hurts.

Heckuva
            season. We’re the #2 FCS team in the country. The Bison are in a league of their own this year. I hope they continue to play near-faultless football in Frisco and bring another trophy back to Fargo. I’ll then make my homer predictions about next year (hint: Jacks win it all).

Comment

I don’t feel like researching this but I seem to remember not all that long ago that our defense was the strength of the team and ranked near the top of the conference.

Am I not remembering correctly?

I’m a firm believer in the mantra defense wins championships. There’s tons of examples of this. That being said NDSU tore us up pretty good but this defense also held the highest (or second highest) scoring team in the nation to 17 points the week prior. We are inconsistent on that side of the ball. This NDSU team may be the best ever at the FCS level and almost certainly the best team NDSU has ever. Not sure we need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

The problem with NDSU last night was our inability to contain Stick.

Comment

My final thought on the game and the rivalry in general: Churchill said that the army with the most divisions will win the battle. Even though we play with the same number of players, it's hard to compare lineups and see any position where we have a clear advantage. Add depth, a tremendous cohesiveness on that team, and outstanding coaching. These guys just have more divisions. But we've come a long way. We're a top 5 program but #1 is just so far ahead of #2-#5.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  I don’t feel like researching this but I seem to remember not all that long ago that our defense was the strength of the team and ranked near the top of the conference.

Am I not remembering correctly?

I’m a firm believer in the mantra defense wins championships. There’s tons of examples of this. That being said NDSU tore us up pretty good but this defense also held the highest (or second highest) scoring team in the nation to 17 points the week prior. We are inconsistent on that side of the ball. This NDSU team may be the best ever at the FCS level and almost certainly the best team NDSU has ever. Not sure we need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

The problem with NDSU last night was our inability to contain Stick.
                  Looks like Jacks were #3 in total defense in 2012. Otherwise, it was generally ranked somewhere in the vicinity of 5th or 7th. Historical MVFC rankings, including more specific categories, can be found here.

Goon mentioned the injury bug in another post. I think that played a significant role in defensive struggles as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    This is based on the whole season and previous seasons. Not just tonight. I'm done with the "bend but don't break" defense. Watching receivers run 7 yd hitches and get the ball thrown to them without any of our defenders within 10 yds gets old. It's so easy to game plan against. Indiana State should have beat us this year by finding the wide open soft spots in our weak pass defense. You would think that if we had a weak pass defense, maybe we're spelling out on the run. Nope. We run a vanilla base defense play after play. I think the argument that we should be happy because we've had two runs to the semis is bull ****. Who cares if we're better than 95% of the league? We are in the top 5% and still looking for that elusive championship. If we want to get from the former to the latter, something has to change. If we sit around and just hope that NDSU drops down to our level, we're going to be disappointed.
                    Absolutely. I'm glad someone has the same mentality, as I do. I'm sick and tired of everyone getting the consolation prize from the Bizun, in the form of pats on the back. Stig is a good coach, but when I heard about the contract extension, I was in disbelief. You have to beat the best, to be the best. That isn't gonna happen, anytime soon. We CANNOT beat NDSU in the playoffs, when it really matters. We just can't. At least, during this decade. It's embarrassing. We go in there, beat them a few times, during the regular season, and then fall flat on our faces. I am beyond pissed off. Vanilla is a good way to put it, for sure. When is this program going to want it bad enough to go for the jugular, so to speak?! Baby steps every year aren't enough, anymore. I want a national championship. I live two and a half hours from Frisco, and it pains me to see the enemy parading around and acting like they own part of Texas, every year. Barf in my mouth Bizun...
                    "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

Originally posted by wr54 View Post
                      Absolutely. I'm glad someone has the same mentality, as I do. I'm sick and tired of everyone getting the consolation prize from the Bizun, in the form of pats on the back. Stig is a good coach, but when I heard about the contract extension, I was in disbelief. You have to beat the best, to be the best. That isn't gonna happen, anytime soon. We CANNOT beat NDSU in the playoffs, when it really matters. We just can't. At least, during this decade. It's embarrassing. We go in there, beat them a few times, during the regular season, and then fall flat on our faces. I am beyond pissed off. Vanilla is a good way to put it, for sure. When is this program going to want it bad enough to go for the jugular, so to speak?! Baby steps every year aren't enough, anymore. I want a national championship. I live two and a half hours from Frisco, and it pains me to see the enemy parading around and acting like they own part of Texas, every year. Barf in my mouth Bizun...
                      I completely feel the pain. But if you are suggesting that Stig should be gone because we don’t have the championships that NDSU has.... I would have to strongly disagree. SDSU is a top 5 program in the FCS. The most dominant program in South Dakota. We have it lucky. I know it’s hard to be thankful and grateful when you keep losing big time games. But I feel we are closer and closer every season. We keep improving. I would much rather lose in the semifinals to the Bison than not make the playoffs at all. This program is elite. For the amount of success we are having, our program is not getting its deserved respect. Attendance is not where it should be. This program has been so successful it should be a statewide event on saturday gamedays. If we want what they have up north..... we need more and better fans. We need more fan support. This program needs to be celebrated more than it is. But the people like us, who care, truly need to be thankful. Our program is awesome and if you think we should be making a major coaching change you need to reconsider and look at what we have already.

Comment

This Bison fan wishes Stig would get a lifetime contract.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
                        2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedYellow View Post

Did any other coaches beat the Bison more often during Klieman's tenure ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Did any other coaches beat the Bison more often during Klieman's tenure ?
                            Nope.

Stig twice, Houston once, Nielsen once...two other loses that I can't remember.

2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by wr54 View Post
                              This appears to be a severe case of SEC fever. It is manifested with a loss to Alabama on an annual basis. I am sure if you visit a physician there is certainly a pill that can be prescribed. Meanwhile, you have 5 years to get your experience and resume in order to apply for the head coaching job at SDSU. Good luck with the treatment and your journey.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedYellow View Post

Stig is 61 and finishing the current 5 year will make him 66. Your wish has been granted. Stig doesn’t have upwards and onwards goals that Klieman has but both each respect others. Note the bear hugs at the end of game.

Comment

Working...
                                X