GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs #7 Oregon Ducks @ Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs #7 Oregon Ducks @ Frost Arena

A handful of bad possessions early in the third were a big reason for the loss. There were 3 or 4 I’ll-advised drives towards the rim followed by ugly shots. Meanwhile Oregon did what they do best, just keep scoring.

To their credit, they also made an adjustment in guarding Guebert, not giving her an inch of space at the arc in the second half. Then there was the performance of #20 and #0, players the likes of which we probably won’t see again unless we end up in the second round of the NCAA. That was some high-level basketball.

It was fun to be part of a noisy early season crowd and there was plenty to cheer about. Still, another one slips away. That’s frustrating. The Jacks are playing extremely well and being within single digits of top-10 teams twice in a few weeks is no fluke.

Comment

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs #7 Oregon Ducks @ Frost Arena

We missed enough bunnies to win the game. I know you can't use that fact as an excuse for a loss, but it is a fact regardless. Irrespective of this fact, there is a cure, don't miss bunnies. Sounds simplistic, and actually it is. Practice, until it becomes second nature, everything can be improved if you work hard enough to.I'm sure we'll do exactly that.

I'd be amiss if I didn't mention how hard we played, that part of the game for us never disappoints.These games against this type of competition is where the knowledge comes for performing, if we are fortunate enough to qualify, at the higher level we need to make it to the sweet 16 and hopefully beyond. This, the now, not post season, is the place to make your mistakes, we'll learn, we'll be tougher to beat post season because of what we learn from playing against the best. I'm pretty sure the team appreciates getting the experience needed, with playing against teams at this level, than be headed into these games unprepared and inexperienced.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-13-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpNrzfrKHK4

This is worth a listen. Even if it is some lip service, it provides some solace!
        Like the video. Loved how he talked about how all the teams know that our team can play and that this is a tough place to play. That coach brought his Gonzaga team to Brookings to play us a few years back so he knew what he was getting involved with and said that they loved the atmosphere, the challenge, and it will make them better.

At the end of the day we had a lot of opportunities that we didn't convert but in this case I think more of the credit should go to Oregon. They played a heck of a good second half. Ionescu may have played the best half of WBB that I've seen in person. She was amazing and showed why she is the Preseason Player of The Year. She was smart, smooth, and physical. That step-back three she hit early in the half was a move that usually only happens in the men's game.

We all want our Jacks to get the win. Every time we play a team like that we get better and more comfortable banging heads with the elite programs.

SUEPRBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
          4 of our 5 starters came out ready to play and they performed well. I don't know how you stop #20 when she is feeling it, she is a unreal scorer, we held her pretty well IMO till towards the end then she broke our back.
          This is how I feel about the game. We might have just been shy a player or two. You have the 4 starters and Burckhard that preformed well. Burchard wasn't in much but she held her own the few minutes she was in there.
          I think they did a good job defending #20 for most of the game. I think she had 12 off her points in the 4th quarter. I guess big time players make big time plays in crunch time. It did take her 24 shots to get her 26 points. She did have 8 rebounds and 9 assists. That is a solid all around game.

Comment

I have no problem saying this is a game that the Rabbits should have won. Period.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              I have no problem saying this is a game that the Rabbits should have won. Period.
              Agreed. The Jackrabbit women, like the men, have trouble finishing close games against top teams. Great effort against Oregon, Jacks, but let's get over that hump. You've got the ability.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Missed bunnies cost us every time in these games. They just can't happen if we expect to win. They didn't miss a single uncontested shot near the basket while we left 10-12 points out there on those. That's the difference.

The other difference is they have the best player in the college game. Madi did an incredible job on her in the first half, but when they made the adjustment at halftime and started the ball screens to get Madi off of her she just killed us. I've never seen a women's player that fed off the crowd like she did. That step back 3 late in the 4th quarter when the crowd was going nuts was something special. I'm sticking with my best women's player to set foot in frost prediction from the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                  Missed bunnies cost us every time in these games. They just can't happen if we expect to win. They didn't miss a single uncontested shot near the basket while we left 10-12 points out there on those. That's the difference.

The other difference is they have the best player in the college game. Madi did an incredible job on her in the first half, but when they made the adjustment at halftime and started the ball screens to get Madi off of her she just killed us. I've never seen a women's player that fed off the crowd like she did. That step back 3 late in the 4th quarter when the crowd was going nuts was something special. I'm sticking with my best women's player to set foot in frost prediction from the other thread.
                  I agree, that shot was the dagger. My father-in-law and I looked at each other like "Holy Nutmeg", it was unreal.

Comment

I've never seen a women's player that fed off the crowd like she did.
                    Did you ever see Megan Vogel play?
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

There had been discussion earlier of WBB record being under .500 during OOC. It is still possible, but it is still possible that 9-4 is the outcome. The treacherous schedule is not complete, but it appears that the losing record has been avoided with Savannah St completing the home schedule. They are preseason pick of last in the MEAC. Even with the remaining games on the road, the OOC segment should be considered as successful heading into the conference schedule and the clash with the yote women. Also, we should remember that Madison and Macy are preparing to rewrite the record books and that we can say that to the next generation.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        Did you ever see Megan Vogel play?
                        No, I never saw her play on the road

Comment

No, I never saw her play on the road
                          Woops, went back and re-read your full post. Misinterpreted, my bad!
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                            Woops, went back and re-read your full post. Misinterpreted, my bad!
                            You're somewhat right though. Megan really fed off the home crowd.

Comment

Our women's basketball team just got a huge RPI boost tonight, as Oregon just defeated Miss St 82-74. This win will continue to pay big dividends down the road as both Oregon and Miss State continue to no doubt rack up wins against very good teams.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-19-2018, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X