Oregon at Frost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon at Frost

On paper this looks like our best chance in years for a really big win. Will the energy of Frost be enough to get the Jacks over the hump? Outside of the first part of the Buffalo game, the team is playing at a top-25 level. If they put four quarters together like they did against Baylor or Green Bay it could happen.

It's a 4-hour round trip journey on a winter night, but I'm going to try to sneak away to see this one in person. We'll see how the wife takes that news when I break it tomorrow. I had to miss the Louisville and Notre Dame games and really regretted it while watching the Jacks rise up a level and challenge in both instances. They'll probably do the same this week.

Weather shouldn't be a concern, right now it's forecast to be a very quiet 30 degrees on Wednesday. It's too bad this one is not on a weekend but I'd expect a good crowd if the athletic department is spreading the word in the right places. This is a big one.

Re: Oregon at Frost

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    On paper this looks like our best chance in years for a really big win. Will the energy of Frost be enough to get the Jacks over the hump? Outside of the first part of the Buffalo game, the team is playing at a top-25 level. If they put four quarters together like they did against Baylor or Green Bay it could happen.

It's a 4-hour round trip journey on a winter night, but I'm going to try to sneak away to see this one in person. We'll see how the wife takes that news when I break it tomorrow. I had to miss the Louisville and Notre Dame games and really regretted it while watching the Jacks rise up a level and challenge in both instances. They'll probably do the same this week.

Weather shouldn't be a concern, right now it's forecast to be a very quiet 30 degrees on Wednesday. It's too bad this one is not on a weekend but I'd expect a good crowd if the athletic department is spreading the word in the right places. This is a big one.
    Throw in their last outing against Drake, leading the whole game and turning back their late game run to try and eek out a win and steal one. Drake is another very good win. Go Jacks, safe travels SE.

Comment

Just took a peek at their roster. They are going to be tall and long. What stood out to me was only 10 players on the team?

Comment

I wish we could get bigger crowds when these highly ranked teams come to Frost. I dont think people realize how big these games are. The Louisville game last year wasnt a huge crowd. We should be able to get 3000+ for these games. We had a good crowd for ND but then everyone has heard of Notre Dame. I dont know how we get more people to the games. Maybe serve alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
          I wish we could get bigger crowds when these highly ranked teams come to Frost. I dont think people realize how big these games are. The Louisville game last year wasnt a huge crowd. We should be able to get 3000+ for these games. We had a good crowd for ND but then everyone has heard of Notre Dame. I dont know how we get more people to the games. Maybe serve alcohol?
          I have to agree. I'm almost in favor of a complete bribery of some sort to get the student sections overflowing!

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
            I have to agree. I'm almost in favor of a complete bribery of some sort to get the student sections overflowing!
            Last day of finals, much of students will be long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              Last day of finals, much of students will be long gone.
              I was thinking more in general terms. But I hadn't thought about this. Attendance will be abysmal on the ends. Is it too late to give some tickets to any local HS girls programs that could fill them up?

Comment

Oregon's next game after us is against Miss State , makes me think our game with them is a "must win" , or they risk losing three games in a row. Do you suppose Kelly Graves will use up one of his two NCAA imposed suspension games? He did state he has like 15 days to decide to accept the suspension or appeal it. One can only hope. More likely he waits for easier games if he's got the time, against Air Force the 20th, UC Irvine the 21st, or Concordia University,Dec 30th (Exhibition), if an exhibition game is allowed to be used as a suspension game.

Comment

Just took a peek at their roster. They are going to be tall and long. What stood out to me was only 10 players on the team?
                  Only 9 players in the box score this year.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    Only 9 players in the box score this year.
                    Dang, your're right. I didn't notice that earlier when I looked. They are dang near a 7 player team then. Can we run them to death?, get them into foul trouble?, whatever it takes I guess. I'm worried about their size, to be ranked #3 in the nation I would have to believe they are all athletic.

Comment

Dang, your're right. I didn't notice that earlier when I looked. They are dang near a 7 player team then. Can we run them to death?, get them into foul trouble?, whatever it takes I guess. I'm worried about their size, to be ranked #3 in the nation I would have to believe they are all athletic.
                      Quality over quantity perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                        Quality over quantity perhaps?
                        True, it appears we are going to be undersized at every position. I have faith though!

Comment

#20 may be the best women's player to ever set foot in frost. Already holds ncaa record for triple doubles and only a junior.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                            #20 may be the best women's player to ever set foot in frost. Already holds ncaa record for triple doubles and only a junior.
                            OK, I see she shoots like a assassin. Who do we put on her, who helps without giving up the open lay in?

Comment

A guy on Rebkell's critiquing Oregon claims (complains) that Oregon has no defense, and that MSU ran through , around and shot over their defense too easily. I wouldn't rely on that evaluation too much though, and they've probably fixed that by the time we play them. They can't be any worse than Baylor for height, except they may put more height on the floor since they have it with two at 6'4", one at 6'2" (Boley) and one at 6'6". They are in a must win situation with Miss St coming up next, so I expect them to play very hard. Their big gun is Ionescu, but their starting 5 + first two off the bench can score pretty good. MSU showed they can be bothered by a tough defense though, if their shots don't fall the way they expect them to. I like our zone, we play it out pretty good for the shooters, yet make it very difficult to drive all the way to the hoop.

Comment

Working...
                              X