Summit Coaches MBB & WBB 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit Coaches MBB & WBB 2018-19

As I look at the Summit situation, it may be timely to begin the season's job performance scorecard for Summit coaches. It may be a tough subject, but it certainly requires observation as the MBB is taking a dive to unseen depths recently. I would point out the diminishing return in Fargo and Tulsa as the most glaring. North Dakota, Omaha, Denver, & WIU have few D1 victories among them while losing some close ones to so so competition. Coffman, Lee, and Otz are guys that the teams hope to retain. Billups at Denver will get at least through his contract to build a better team. Mills may have found the proverbial snakepit in Tulsa and look to bail or be sent out more quickly like Sutton. Richman may not draw any attention until the football season is finished. UND & Omaha lose quality players which may or may not be in the control of coaches. WIU may be content as is unless the budget concerns are remedied in Illinois.

The WBB side is not as tenuous, but Denver's Turgeon appears to indicate that sometimes change is good. Nelson at Ft Wayne is in the 3rd season and she picked up a D1 win out of 7 D1 games. Gravina may entertain some offers following this season which appears to be down after losing 6 seniors. It may be a bit early to worry about the Fighting Hawks(2-5) since they will have the first home game tomorrow vs Milwaukee and Klabo has been producing. USD, SDSU, & Omaha are not wanting to look for replacements. Misti at ORU is likely to be at home in Tulsa unless there is some crazy event to alter her direction. Walseth in Fargo is the biggest question mark among the WBB coaches. The WBB may have a very low level of attention for her to be under the radar as she has a record of 35-90 into her 5th year. DeHoff might be applying again since she was 66-81 after 5 years.

Once again, this report card is in the first semester. The second semester can and likely will improve for some that are underperforming at this time. It seemed relevant due to the failing RPI the MBB has turned in at this time. As always...Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: Summit Coaches MBB & WBB 2018-19

anyone else a little surprised coach Plitzuweit's name hasn't come up for some openings? i believe her record at usd is sitting at 80-22? not to mention some of her other accolades. no secret female coaches have an edge (not meant as a flame). it's possible there has been some contact from other programs, but, maybe she showed no interest.

Comment

Originally posted by dubldrible View Post
      anyone else a little surprised coach Plitzuweit's name hasn't come up for some openings? i believe her record at usd is sitting at 80-22? not to mention some of her other accolades. no secret female coaches have an edge (not meant as a flame). it's possible there has been some contact from other programs, but, maybe she showed no interest.
      She has addressed this question in some recent interviews (KWSN?). She pretty much said the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Her mentor (current coach at Green Bay) had a similar experience going from Green Bay to Michigan and ultimately went back to Green Bay.
      14:15 mark: https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...future-at-usd/

Comment

double post. DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          She has addressed this question in some recent interviews (KWSN?). She pretty much said the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Her mentor (current coach at Green Bay) had a similar experience going from Green Bay to Michigan and ultimately went back to Green Bay.
          14:15 mark: https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...future-at-usd/
          If she were to get an Amy Williams Nebraska type offer, that would put the greener grass issue to the test.

Comment

Brian Jones, coach of the UND men, has quit to become associate head coach at Illinois State.

https://madison.com/sports/college/b...5787d448d.html
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Brian Jones, coach of the UND men, has quit to become associate head coach at Illinois State.

https://madison.com/sports/college/b...5787d448d.html
              Has Men's Summit League basketball been in such a sad state of affairs since it was created in 2007?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                Has Men's Summit League basketball been in such a sad state of affairs since it was created in 2007?
                Yeah it’s getting pretty depressing for pretty much every team. Gonna be some competitively bad basketball next year I think

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                  Yeah it’s getting pretty depressing for pretty much every team. Gonna be some competitively bad basketball next year I think
                  Depends on who shows up as a replacement. I would think there are plenty of candidates available. Jones did a good job at UND.

Comment

Lets be real, Jones is pretty unspectacular coach. Had one nice season and few mediocre ones. Probably won't be hard to find a coach that can continue that trend.

That said the league is a far cry from the days of Kampe, Sutton, Hunter, Nagy, Phillips, Molinari and you could even toss in Fife I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Depends on who shows up as a replacement. I would think there are plenty of candidates available. Jones did a good job at UND.
                      At their current pay scale not sure what type of candidates they will get?

Comment

Sounds like a UWGB assistant is being considered, MSU-Moorhead's coach Walthall might also get a look.

Comment

When TJ left, AD Sell mentioned that he had tons of calls and inquiries from agents and headhunters. I have no idea what their salary is at, but there are good candidates that are willing to work cheap. UND like the rest of the Summit is a stepping stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            When TJ left, AD Sell mentioned that he had tons of calls and inquiries from agents and headhunters. I have no idea what their salary is at, but there are good candidates that are willing to work cheap. UND like the rest of the Summit is a stepping stone.
                            Last salary extension for Jones was 2017 (base salary of $140,000).

Comment

Last salary extension for Jones was 2017 (base salary of $140,000).
                              I don’t think UND will stick to that price tag especially if the future candidate has a better resume than Jones. After reading FargoBison post, Jones may have seen handwriting on wall and handwriting may have been walking papers of Coach Jones. So many things going on at UND, supposedly the president is leaving for U of Colorado.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 05-02-2019, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X