Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit Coaches MBB & WBB 2018-19

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    Sounds like a UWGB assistant is being considered, MSU-Moorhead's coach Walthall might also get a look.
    Hopefully the UWGB candidate is not Megan Vogel, a former star for the Jacks. I'd like to see her on SDSU's staff some day.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      Hopefully the UWGB candidate is not Megan Vogel, a former star for the Jacks. I'd like to see her on SDSU's staff some day.
      Personally, I would love to see her get the job. Let her get experience as a head coach for a good mid-major. The only way that I can see her returning to SDSU is if she takes over for AJ. And those will be huge shoes to fill even with head coaching experience.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        Personally, I would love to see her get the job. Let her get experience as a head coach for a good mid-major. The only way that I can see her returning to SDSU is if she takes over for AJ. And those will be huge shoes to fill even with head coaching experience.
        Yes , I too think Megan might possibly leave UWGB someday and accept a head coaching job somewhere, it seems to enhance a coaches stock having had head coaching experience. She can always come back to SDSU someday , hopefully. She's probably thinking she should get more experience if she wants to advance in a coaching career, dong the same job for too long kind of stagnates ones process of moving ahead I think. Of course, if someone's happy doing what they're doing and aren't too worried about advancing their career in a certain timeline, then they're likely to stay put where they are longer and just be happy doing what they're doing.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-02-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

We are talking about the UND men's basketball head coach right?

I have a hard time believing Megan Vogel is a candidate for that position.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Yeah, glad I wasn't the only one confused.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Oops. Good point.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Last salary extension for Jones was 2017 (base salary of $140,000).
                I know that UND isn't in great shape financially but I see a pay raise. Didn't TJ come in and make around $100,000 more than Nagy? Didn't Bono come in and SDSU's wrestling budget triple? I know that Nagy and Liles were at SDSU longer than 13 years but I'm sure Jones was part of the DII thinking on salaries.
                Just guesses on the pay raises.

Comment

The newest Summit announcement.
                  https://fightinghawks.com/news/2019/...all-coach.aspx
                  I wonder if assistants may go to i.e Zach Horstmann
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    The newest Summit announcement.
                    https://fightinghawks.com/news/2019/...all-coach.aspx
                    I wonder if assistants may go to i.e Zach Horstmann
                    This guy looks like a winner. I would think there would be job at UND for Horstman. His playing experience at the D1 level should make a difference. He no doubt made an impact at NSU.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 05-30-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      This guy looks like a winner. I would think there would be job at UND for Horstman. His playing experience at the D1 should make a difference. He no doubt made an impact at NSU.
                      He made a great impact at Black Hills State (final 4 appearance), lost to the team that won it the following year without a starter..... I took a coaching class from him, and with him its not about his offense (its pretty simple, which was a joke about the class), its about intensity, and getting the most out of his players. He'll recruit well in Minnesota (where he is from) which is something that SDSU/NDSU/USD will not necessary be used to. He will be visual on campus, know people (he knew me and had no reason to know me at Black Hills State).

I'm glad he got a D-I job, and I think UND will be a perfect place for him. (he is use to recruiting with a budget and a car, and has done a pretty darn good job of it)

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        He made a great impact at Black Hills State (final 4 appearance), lost to the team that won it the following year without a starter..... I took a coaching class from him, and with him its not about his offense (its pretty simple, which was a joke about the class), its about intensity, and getting the most out of his players. He'll recruit well in Minnesota (where he is from) which is something that SDSU/NDSU/USD will not necessary be used to. He will be visual on campus, know people (he knew me and had no reason to know me at Black Hills State).

I'm glad he got a D-I job, and I think UND will be a perfect place for him. (he is use to recruiting with a budget and a car, and has done a pretty darn good job of it)
                        That's impressive Joe. I never took a course in coaching and often wished I had. This guy sounds impressive and certainly no pushover for the other SL members. Heavy in the NAIA and D2 Level experience should not indicate softness.

Comment

Sather will do well.

For all the talk about how SDSU/NDSU/USD have dominated the Summit League, it will be good to have another team in there. He'll build them up. It might take a while, but he'll build them up.

I would think Zach will get the opportunity to go with him.

I wonder what Northern is going to do? They have a talented roster, and a very good team. It's kind of late in the process to start searching for a new coach?

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            I wonder what Northern is going to do? They have a talented roster, and a very good team. It's kind of late in the process to start searching for a new coach?
                            Sundance Wicks? Former player and assistant who is head coach at Missouri Western. Very, very high energy guy.

Comment

I've heard Sundance Wicks suggestions from other sources.

UWMandSDSU: your dad will remember some of the Wicks family of athletes from Watertown. Sundance's grandfather, Rube Wicks, was a Jackrabbit: played on the outstanding Ralph Ginn Conference Championship teams in the middle 1950s. (Beyond my years -- I just read about it and grew up in the 'hood with the younger Wicks kids). Sundance's dad was All-State football and basketball and a good track performer for the Arrows and was an All-West Coast Conference linebacker for Washington State University...played for the New Orleans Saints for a year.

High energy is a good description. Sundance got that from his dad and probably added some to it. That would be an interesting hire for Northern State.

NSU should attract some good candidates although it seems late in the coach-hiring year. They get great support and Sather has the program performing at a top level with good players returning.

Comment

Saw a tweet on Twitter that Saul Phillips is interested in Northern job.

He'd be a home run.

(They are going to have a very good team, again.)

Comment

Working...
                                X