Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @ Memphis Fighting Penny Hardaways

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    I was going with the understanding that he is grad-transferring. We have signed 4 recruits, and Key needs to be gone to have the 4 scholarships available.
    Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Gotcha.
      The possibility of having a current player leave after the season (we seem to lose at least one most years) would also open up a scholarship, so I guess Key could play here next year. But I don't see any more minutes for him here next year than he would have gotten this season.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        The depth will improve as the young players get more experience during this year. Guys like Owen King, Dentlinger, Arians, and Krueger already don't seem like freshmen a lot of the time. By the second half of the season, this will be a much better team... and they're already pretty darned good. Nothing wrong with 7-3 when you're playing four or five freshmen significant minutes.
        I do agree that the young players will improve with more experience but I don't know about them not playing like freshmen, yet.
        They play good a game here and a game there but not very consistently. I know with Daum and Jenkins there are not a lot of shots but between the 5 freshmen, they only put up about 23% of the teams shots.
        With the seniors in foul trouble against Memphis. Arians put up 6 shots in 36 minutes. Owen did put up 3 shots in 13 minutes but he also had 5 turnovers in those 13 minutes. I know that Memphis is a quicker/more athletic team then most of the teams that we play but TJ might (my opinion) not feel real comfortable with the freshmen. The starters played a lot of minutes while in foul trouble but they were tentative on defense because of fouls. Why play all of your starters 30+ minutes when they are in foul trouble if you have other options?
        The team will miss the seniors next year but with Carter III, Grill, Wilson and Mims coming in we should be fine. The freshmen that are playing now will be on campus for 3 years so they should feel more comfortable. You combine those two groups with Jenkins and there looks like there should be lot of solid options to me.

Comment

I'm NOT complaining here. Just thinking.

Wonder if they are going to continue to go "small" with Arians starting instead of Dentlinger.

Honestly, they started the season with the look that they were going to play 2 bigs... Daum and Dentlinger, and Dillon came in when one of those guys came out.

Now, Arians is starting instead of Dentlinger. O King comes in as a guard, and Dentlinger only plays if Daum goes to the bench? (that's what I have seen)

Nothing against Arians... he's really quick, and you can see he plays smart. Just needs to hit some shots and gain some confidence. Was hoping we'd see a bit more Krueger after he hit 4 3's that one game, but he still doesn't see much action. And Dentlinger's minutes have gone down, and Dillon is completely buried.

I realize this doesn't mean anything... I mean a few years ago, Michael Orris pretty much hadn't even seen the floor to this point in the year. However, I hope they can get it figured out soon. Obviously, T King, Flatten, Daum, and Jenkins are going to get the bulk of the minutes. But I'd like to see what's going to happen... I'm just being impatient.

Again... I'm NOT complaining... I'm just wondering what's going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
            I'm NOT complaining here. Just thinking.

Wonder if they are going to continue to go "small" with Arians starting instead of Dentlinger.

Honestly, they started the season with the look that they were going to play 2 bigs... Daum and Dentlinger, and Dillon came in when one of those guys came out.

Now, Arians is starting instead of Dentlinger. O King comes in as a guard, and Dentlinger only plays if Daum goes to the bench? (that's what I have seen)

Nothing against Arians... he's really quick, and you can see he plays smart. Just needs to hit some shots and gain some confidence. Was hoping we'd see a bit more Krueger after he hit 4 3's that one game, but he still doesn't see much action. And Dentlinger's minutes have gone down, and Dillon is completely buried.

I realize this doesn't mean anything... I mean a few years ago, Michael Orris pretty much hadn't even seen the floor to this point in the year. However, I hope they can get it figured out soon. Obviously, T King, Flatten, Daum, and Jenkins are going to get the bulk of the minutes. But I'd like to see what's going to happen... I'm just being impatient.

Again... I'm NOT complaining... I'm just wondering what's going to happen.
            I wonder if TJ just thinks of that 5th starter as a fluid position based upon match-ups.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I hope Arians starts knocking down some shots too, I'm just afraid his stroke is not going to allow him to ever be consistent until it's changed. Krueger just looks lost out there on the defensive end so I understand why he's not getting many minutes. Sucks too because he can definitely produce on the other end.

Our freshmen have seen a night and day improvement since the first game. It's been fun to watch even if it does cause some headaches at times. We have to remember there's a long way to go as well, but they are gonna be good

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                I wonder if TJ just thinks of that 5th starter as a fluid position based upon match-ups.
                I agree. Nevada has tremendous size - three 6'11, a 6'9 and five 6'7's, which might force TJ to put Dentlinger back in the starting lineup.

Comment

Best chance for Thurman to beat daum finally with Nevada.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...ng-video-fight

I'll leave this link here for everyone to enjoy! Should come as a huge shock to all.

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
                      https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...ng-video-fight

I'll leave this link here for everyone to enjoy! Should come as a huge shock to all.
                      This is great. The fact that Hardaway is either instructing his kids to do this or at a minimum letting it continue to happen is disgraceful. Flopping in college basketball and refs continuing to call blatant flops is an epidemic. This tweet from that article has a video showing some clear examples of terrible flopping and multiple being called. Disgusting. Especially the last one where the ref comes from the baseline to call a flop at mid court, emphatically no less.

https://twitter.com/rmoses10/status/...168083973?s=21

Comment

It's too late but I'm tempted to change the thread title from "Fighting Penny Hardaways" to "Flopping Penny Hardaways."

Tempted, I tell you.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

What's worse is people defending the flops as actual fouls. The first one maybe is 50/50 at most but his reaction makes it harder to believe it was a foul. The last one where the ref from the baseline called it was bad. That's a flop no matter how Memphis fans want to slice it.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This flopping has been happening some on other games. The rules for charges may have created some coaching for that change. There have been many of those "ghost" calls. Some teams learn different strategies for "improving" their game. Other teams may improve with shooting practice.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                            X