GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @ Memphis Fighting Penny Hardaways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @ Memphis Fighting Penny Hardaways

The officiating definitely affected the game, but the Jacks are going to have trouble beating good teams when the three senior starters shoot 11-31 from the field.

Comment

Just have to find a way to stay out of foul trouble. You know all teams are taking notes on how to beat them. I noticed they played a little zone there late to try and keep everyone in the game.

Comment

Daum will have to adjust that teams are going to flop on him and get away with it like crazy. College needs the NBA flopping rule.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This game reminded my a lot of the FGCU loss. Ticky-tack calls and too many turnovers at the end of the game.

Time for a couple easy games to tune up for Nevada!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Daum will have to adjust that teams are going to flop on him and get away with it like crazy. College needs the NBA flopping rule.
            Can anyone tell me how many offensive fouls (mainly charges) each player has? There might just be a stat for total offensive fouls which would include moving screens and stuff like that but just checking.
            Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
              You can’t adjust to refs calling complete flops. I can’t stand people suggesting “just adjust.” You can’t completely change how you play so you don’t get ridiculous fouls called on you. We beat these guys neutral floor nearly every time. College basketball is really frustrating at times.

Jenkins showed he can have the type of game that carries a team on an ncaa tourney run when you get those neutral floors. Owen King needs some more time to adjust to the speed of the game.
              Totally agree. When the D is allowed to be that aggressive and on top of it all flops were called charges. I wish once we could get a team like that off their home floor. Terribly called game.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                This game reminded my a lot of the FGCU loss. Ticky-tack calls and too many turnovers at the end of the game.

Time for a couple easy games to tune up for Nevada!
                In both the Memphis and FGCU games the early foul trouble really hurt our defense later in the game. We became hesitant to pressure the ball and close up driving lanes, and the opposing players took advantage of this. Some of this was out of our control when the officials make poor calls early (I was super annoyed with Daum's first foul call against him when he was legally fighting for defensive position on the block), but we do need to be mentally tougher as well. Just because a referee misses a call doesn't mean they'll miss the next one (most of the time), and not every call against us was a bad one, either. We've pick up some pretty bone headed fouls in these games as well and those are huge mental errors in a tightly called contest.

As stated, turnovers were also a huge problem, and I think it's fair to say that we've let the officiating get in our heads in areas of the game the stripes have much less control over.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

All the charging calls, mostly against the Jacks, made it kind of an ugly game. But I thought it also was an entertaining and, dare I say, encouraging game. The Jacks were stopped by their own offensive penalties and careless turnovers more so than by Memphis. Those are fixable problems. It's clear that opposing teams are going after Daum and guarding him tight, often with multiple defenders, and they want to get him in foul trouble. So, other scorers are going to have to step up. Jenkins certainly did that against Memphis. What a stud.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

We are so focused on the fouls. It’s part of the game, we didn’t play good against a team we should beat. It’s that period. Jenkins Was a stud and if he wasn’t last night we could have lost by 20. We aren’t the most unluckiest team in the country where every foul goes against us. Were their flops yes but that’s part of the game....next man up. What the fouls have exposed is a completely different problem...our depth. I’m scared as heck for next year losing our gritty seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                      We are so focused on the fouls. It’s part of the game, we didn’t play good against a team we should beat. It’s that period. Jenkins Was a stud and if he wasn’t last night we could have lost by 20. We aren’t the most unluckiest team in the country where every foul goes against us. Were their flops yes but that’s part of the game....next man up. What the fouls have exposed is a completely different problem...our depth. I’m scared as heck for next year losing our gritty seniors.
                      The depth will improve as the young players get more experience during this year. Guys like Owen King, Dentlinger, Arians, and Krueger already don't seem like freshmen a lot of the time. By the second half of the season, this will be a much better team... and they're already pretty darned good. Nothing wrong with 7-3 when you're playing four or five freshmen significant minutes.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        The depth will improve as the young players get more experience during this year. Guys like Owen King, Dentlinger, Arians, and Krueger already don't seem like freshmen a lot of the time. By the second half of the season, this will be a much better team... and they're already pretty darned good. Nothing wrong with 7-3 when you're playing four or five freshmen significant minutes.
                        THIS!!!! As some wise man often says. Let's not get too worked up about our basketball teams until football season is over. Pointing at you SUPERBUNNY.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                          You’d have to include Caleb Grill and (I assume) MC III in your way-too-early assessment of next year’s depth. I was very impressed with MC III in that first Canada game. Grill is going to partner with Jenkins very nicely. Then there are the two redshirting this year. Is there also an open scholarship with Key’s departure? We should be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            You’d have to include Caleb Grill and (I assume) MC III in your way-too-early assessment of next year’s depth. I was very impressed with MC III in that first Canada game. Grill is going to partner with Jenkins very nicely. Then there are the two redshirting this year. Is there also an open scholarship with Key’s departure? We should be just fine.
                            Key is a senior, so he is gone regardless. They also have Douglas Wilson, the 6'7 JUCO from Iowa coming in, who should compete for playing time right away. Coburn, the 6'10 center from Iowa may be a redshirt possibility, and Schierman is also coming in from Nebraska. PG Matt Mims, who is currently redshirting also enters the mix along with Fiegen.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Key is a senior, so he is gone regardless. They also have Douglas Wilson, the 6'7 JUCO from Iowa coming in, who should compete for playing time right away. Coburn, the 6'10 center from Iowa may be a redshirt possibility, and Schierman is also coming in from Nebraska. PG Matt Mims, who is currently redshirting also enters the mix along with Fiegen.
                              Key is redshirting this year. He would have 1year of eligibility left next year (the thought is he will go Grad Transfer route). Or am I not understanding your statement?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Key is redshirting this year. He would have 1year of eligibility left next year (the thought is he will go Grad Transfer route). Or am I not understanding your statement?
                                I was going with the understanding that he is grad-transferring. We have signed 4 recruits, and Key needs to be gone to have the 4 scholarships available.

Comment

Working...
                                X