Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quarterfinals @ KSU Owls

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    That and our alignment of the d tackles were just giving away the dive before the snap even happened if I remember right.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Throw in that we have a good 4/5 DT rotation and the fact that they actually line up on the LOS vs what we had against Poly.

Comment

It's been 4 years since we won a road game in the playoffs (@ Montana State in 14). We need to buck that trend.

Anyone know much about their field? Announcers said it was turf and grass. Grass grows up through the turf maybe? It looked slick but not muddy for the Wofford game. I hope we can adjust to what sounds like an odd surface.

Comment

I think our defense is much different this year with big hitters Snyder and Manchigiah in the secondary, especially against the run.

Our team speed is as good as ever too, making the long runs less of a danger, and it really seems the defense has been swarming to the ball in recent weeks with good gang tackling.

If we show up and play well, I think we can handle the triple-option and score some points.

I'll go 38-27 Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          Throw in that we have a good 4/5 DT rotation and the fact that they actually line up on the LOS vs what we had against Poly.
          Does anybody remember if we were "outflanked" in the Poly game? I think we had our standard defense. They would send a motion man and the ball carrier to one side of the field. That meant that they had as many blockers on the side of the field as we had defenders with nobody left to tackle the ball carrier. It just annoyed me that the LB's and S's didn't do much shifting with the motion.
          I could be wrong on that but I think that is what I remember.

It sucks that the football game is the same time as the WBB home game against a top 25 ranked Drake team but I guess it is what to is.

Comment

From the KSU game notes sheet: "The Owls are facing a team from the Missouri Valley Football Conference for the first time . . . "

Offered without further comment.
            Last edited by filbert; 12-03-2018, 07:00 PM. Reason: As can be seen from the subsequent post . . . I lied.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Passing yards allowed by Kennesaw State this year:

187 Georgia State (2-10) (20-24 L)
              179 Tennessee Tech (1-10) (49-10 W)
              195 Alabama St. (4-7) (62-13 W)
              xxx Clark Atlanta (non-DI, who cares)
              150 Samford (6-5) (24-10 W)
              63 Presbyterian (2-8) (56-0 W)
              52 Gardner-Webb (3-8) (56-17 W)
              63 Charleston Southern (5-6) (38-10 W)
              46 Campbell (6-5) (49-0 W)
              84 Monmouth (8-3) (51-14 W)
              417 Jacksonville St. (9-4) (60-52 5 OT W)
              153 Wofford (9-4) (13-10 W)

I do not know how many of those teams in double digits can properly be considered "passing teams" and don't have the immediate inclination to do the research. The 417 yards they gave up to Jax State lends me to believe that the answer is "not many."

Composite record of KSU's DI opponents: 55-70, .440, Sagarin #98 (one behind Northern Iowa).
              Composite record of SDSU's DI opponents: 65-63, .508, Sagarin #58

In my honest opinion, this game has no business being played anywhere other than the DJD. However, SDSU fans would do well to remember that UNI did in fact beat SDSU, so cockiness should be moderated by just a bit of humility. On the other hand they haven't seen anybody this year anywhere as good on both sides of the ball as SDSU.

(Of course, on the gripping hand, Sagarin has Illinois State at #95, so there's that.)
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good evening gents. Thought I would stop over to try and answer some questions and have some fun dialogue. 1st. KSU has a low turnout for games. Short answer yes. Kennesaw is about 30 minutes north of Atlanta. These kids/students have grown up cheering on the Georgia Bulldogs, Georgia Tech, University of Tennessee and yeah even Alabama. While they love their school its hard for them to cheer for something that has never been a factor in their life's. It will change but it will take time. Most of the fan base is alumni that always wanted a football program but didnt get it. Student population, a little over 35K. We are the 3rd largest school in the state. Football program is as most of you know only four years old. Our field. Well its a hybrid and the first of its kind in the country. The drainage is superior to anything out there right now. You wont see puddles of water or divots. Can it still be slick, in the rain, oh yeah. Seating is around 8k. There is not a bad seat in the house. All parking is close and there is a hundred restaurants nearby for post game celebrating or crying. Only other thing Kennesaw is really known for is our gun law. Every head of household must own a gun and have ammo to go with it.

Now to the football team, well hell all I can say is were Scrappy. While our conference is on the weak side I don't think that should diminished the fact that we won it in only our 3rd year of existence. Our O-line is discipline and rarely fail in their assignments. Our QB is just a plain rough tough son of a bitch. He might throw six times a game and four of those will look like wounded ducks. "Not a fan of him passing." Have they seen a team like yours? No. If your passing game is on, I anticipate a long day for the owls. Our D-line is fast and capable but again they havent come across a QB with his skill set. Don't get me wrong I'm not counting our guys out and I hope we knock you out of the picture. They have already read where they are the underdogs on their home field and they don't have a chance, yeah their pissed off. Hell it makes for good bulletin board material. In any case I hope your fans travel well and enjoy some southern hospitality. Had a great time with the Wolford bunch last weekend I anticipate the same with you guys. Hooty Hoo! and defend the nest.

Comment

Thanks, Scrappy. Welcome to SDSUfans.com!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappy View Post
                    Good evening gents. Thought I would stop over to try and answer some questions and have some fun dialogue. 1st. KSU has a low turnout for games. Short answer yes. Kennesaw is about 30 minutes north of Atlanta. These kids/students have grown up cheering on the Georgia Bulldogs, Georgia Tech, University of Tennessee and yeah even Alabama. While they love their school its hard for them to cheer for something that has never been a factor in their life's. It will change but it will take time. Most of the fan base is alumni that always wanted a football program but didnt get it. Student population, a little over 35K. We are the 3rd largest school in the state. Football program is as most of you know only four years old. Our field. Well its a hybrid and the first of its kind in the country. The drainage is superior to anything out there right now. You wont see puddles of water or divots. Can it still be slick, in the rain, oh yeah. Seating is around 8k. There is not a bad seat in the house. All parking is close and there is a hundred restaurants nearby for post game celebrating or crying. Only other thing Kennesaw is really known for is our gun law. Every head of household must own a gun and have ammo to go with it.

Now to the football team, well hell all I can say is were Scrappy. While our conference is on the weak side I don't think that should diminished the fact that we won it in only our 3rd year of existence. Our O-line is discipline and rarely fail in their assignments. Our QB is just a plain rough tough son of a bitch. He might throw six times a game and four of those will look like wounded ducks. "Not a fan of him passing." Have they seen a team like yours? No. If your passing game is on, I anticipate a long day for the owls. Our D-line is fast and capable but again they havent come across a QB with his skill set. Don't get me wrong I'm not counting our guys out and I hope we knock you out of the picture. They have already read where they are the underdogs on their home field and they don't have a chance, yeah their pissed off. Hell it makes for good bulletin board material. In any case I hope your fans travel well and enjoy some southern hospitality. Had a great time with the Wolford bunch last weekend I anticipate the same with you guys. Hooty Hoo! and defend the nest.
                    I recall the D-II days (I think it was the last year SDSU was D-II, something like 2003?) when SDSU and KSU were 1-2 in the NCAA D-II basketball poll for a while.

Howdy-do!
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappy View Post
                      Every head of household must own a gun and have ammo to go with it.
                      So, basically you’re just like South Dakota, lol

welcome to the party Scrappy

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                        Does anybody remember if we were "outflanked" in the Poly game? I think we had our standard defense. They would send a motion man and the ball carrier to one side of the field. That meant that they had as many blockers on the side of the field as we had defenders with nobody left to tackle the ball carrier. It just annoyed me that the LB's and S's didn't do much shifting with the motion.
                        I could be wrong on that but I think that is what I remember.

It sucks that the football game is the same time as the WBB home game against a top 25 ranked Drake team but I guess it is what to is.
                        That's what we talked about tonight. Pretty sure we stayed base defense that game and didn't adjust to the side.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

So, basically you’re just like South Dakota, lol

welcome to the party Scrappy
                          Difference is they don't have to pass a law in SD about it . . . it just kinda . . . happens.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Regarding the Calpoly game and the triple option nightmare...we were a totally different D. I believe that was Rozeboom’s 2nd career start. Also if you remember correctly we were matching them score for score, it was a late INT by TC I believe that sealed our fate. Protheroe was having a career night on the dive getting 8-9 yards a pop.

This D swarms, is so stout in the middle and has depth to rotate guys in and out. Plus our DBs can be left on an island so the safeties can fit the run as well.

Comment

Regarding the Calpoly game and the triple option nightmare...we were a totally different D. I believe that was Rozeboom’s 2nd career start. Also if you remember correctly we were matching them score for score, it was a late INT by TC I believe that sealed our fate. Protheroe was having a career night on the dive getting 8-9 yards a pop.

This D swarms, is so stout in the middle and has depth to rotate guys in and out. Plus our DBs can be left on an island so the safeties can fit the run as well.
                              Cal Poly also had the threat of a passing game. They threw for 160 yards in that game with the Jacks, and averaged about 130 a game. Which really seems like opening things up compared to KSU's passing numbers.

Comment

I think that this SDSU defense is much better then the defense against Cal Poly but I still hope the coaches do a better job putting players in a position to make plays in this game. We should be able to score on them like Cal Poly but why should we have to. Stig is great at giving the coaches credit when things go right (rightfully so) but in that game the coaches got outcoached. If KSU isn't very good at passing, SDSU should be able to lock Brown up one-on-one (he is an all american) and free up somebody else to help out against the run.

Scrappy- Does the KSU O-line use chop blocks and go at players legs on most of their blocks? That is one thing that I worry about. You see a lot of option teams that use chop blocks. I think all of SDSU's OL and DL wear knee braces but I still don't like players taking them out. Wes is already injured. I know that SDSU is fairly deep on the offensive line but we don't need any more injured. I'm not saying KSU does anything wrong and I have never seen them play but just checking.

Welcome to the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X