Quarterfinals @ KSU Owls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quarterfinals @ KSU Owls

We have zero reason to complain about seeding. Don't blow the game against UNI and we are a #2 seed at home through the playoffs and looking at an NDSU match-up in Frisco.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      We have zero reason to complain about seeding. Don't blow the game against UNI and we are a #2 seed at home through the playoffs and looking at an NDSU match-up in Frisco.
      I don't think I could agree more this this.

Every year we have people complaining about where we are seeded. Yet every year we've given the committee reasons why we don't deserve the #2 seed. If we take care of business during the regular season we will host until Frisco. We've yet to do that.

No complaints from me, let's go beat KSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
        Lines are out...Jacks are -10.5 with total Pts at 60.5. Crazy we are favored that much.
        I don't think it's crazy. I think the number is about right on. Rabbits win 34-20.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          I'm rewatching the KSU-Wofford game to try to gauge their size. Both their lines look small to me, but the stats say otherwise. Looks like their O line averages around 280 (which is a little light). D line more like 250. Most TO teams have smaller, quicker O lines, so that's not surprising to me. They just look smaller all around on D though. And I don't expect them to match up well with our corners when they do decide to throw it: not much size on the edge. If our D line can get some penetration and disrupt their timing, we should do very well, given the rest of our team speed. Long story short, I think we've played more talented offens I've teams this year, but adjusting to their scheme will be the difference in this game.
          They have one of the more unique offensive lines I've seen in D1 college football. Have you ever seen a left tackle that is a converted nose tackle, listed at 6'3" and 236 lbs.? Devin Pughsely played three years as an undersized nose tackle. The bulk, (or lack there of), of their offensive line are all relatively small. From left tackle to right tackle they register, 236 - 288 - 255 - 303 - 290. You will find numerous high school teams with lines that size or bigger. However, they are not designed for mauling opposing defenders or to provider a stout pass protection. They need to be quick, and be able to pull and get to the linebackers. Their center is a returning All-Big South player that had 195 knockdowns in 2017. At 6'3" 255 lbs., he's not doing it on strength or leverage, he has to be quick and has likely taken a few steps before he engages his assignment. They all have played/started collegiate games prior to this season. This experienced unit features 1 sophomore, 2 seniors, and 2 graduate students. Three of their five linemen were selected as first team all-conference honorees.

As Mr_Tibbs highlighted, if/when our DE's set the edge our linebackers and Snyder fill the gaps, we should be all right at controlling their option. Their QB is very experienced, but at 5'10" and 190 lbs., he's not going to beat us throwing the ball. He's a past finalist for the Walter Payton award and a two-time Big South offensive player of the year. This year he's accounted for 29 TD's and is their leading rusher at 73 yards per game. He only averages 86 yards passing per game, completing 57% and has a 10/6 TD to interception ratio. Only two players have more than 10 receptions on the year and neither has eclipsed 300 yards for the season. To even consider their passing game a threat is a stretch.

The Owls have only one loss on the season and have outscored their opponents 45.7 points to 14.4 points per game. However, if you take away the uniqueness of the triple option in college football, Duquesne appeared to have more playmakers on offense than this roster. Their defense is only allowing 258.6 yards per game, so they've done their job limiting yards from scrimmage. Their specialty is getting off the field on third downs where they are holding opponents to 28% conversion rate. Winning the turnover battle is not their specialty and only have 14 takeaways on the year. Linebacker Anthony Gore Jr. was selected as the Big South defensive player of the year.

To say their schedule was soft would be an understatement. They only had two quality opponents, Jacksonville State and Wofford, but did go 11-1. Their only loss was their opener against Georgia State. GSU may be an FBS program, but they are not a good team.

Comment

Biggest question for me: Will our coaches remain stubborn and come out in a base 4-3 look with CBs playing soft coverage and 2 safeties playing deep? If we do this, we are asking for death by TO, 5-7 yards at a time. We better be stacking the box every single down.

Comment

That is certainly true, but the committee didn't penalize Weber State for their loss to a bad NAU team. I think human nature kinda takes over these deals and the voters and committe members gave Kennesaw State credit for last years upset of the #3 seed and of Weber's memorable performance against JMU vs our performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                That is certainly true, but the committee didn't penalize Weber State for their loss to a bad NAU team. I think human nature kinda takes over these deals and the voters and committe members gave Kennesaw State credit for last years upset of the #3 seed and of Weber's memorable performance against JMU vs our performance.
                That's because Weber had a win over #2 seed EWU, while our only win against a playoff team was Montana St., whom Weber also beat.

I'd say our losses were a wash as they lost to FBS Utah and NAU, while we lost to #1 NDSU and UNI.

Comment

First of all, I love watching the triple option offense. When it is run well, it's a thing a beauty.

The problem with it, is if you can hamper/hamstring the running game, it's a very limited offense.

I don't think the KSU is going to have the horses up front, on either side to hang with our team this year. Our front 7 has been impressive (just ask Hines).

One thing I keep seeing brought up is the loss to Poly in 2016, and I get it, since they run the TO. However, one thing I noticed in that game...I was there, and may have even written about it after the game. That was the year, we were starting 3 new guys in the secondary(I'm almost positive), it might have been 4. And they struggled the entire game to get off blocks. Their WR's and Wingbacks were blocking 10 yards downfield, and we just struggled to get off them. Plus, it was early in the season (game 2).

I don't see Jordan Brown, or Snyder, or Machigiah having trouble in this way. I think the D line will hold the line, and the LBer's and DB's will be able to make plays.

I can't see their defense hold up against our offense. I hope I'm right.

Comment

Weekly look as KSU is next.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bB5VqEcYks
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Thanks coach for bringing back the discussion to this Saturday's game. I can appreciate your perspective from the Cal Poly game and how our young DBs had trouble getting off WR's and wingback's blocking downfield. Having experienced DB's and safeties is a luxury, along with the depth we have throughout the lineup. KSU's wideouts are built more for blocking than receiving. At 6'3" 217, Sumpter is almost as big as their left tackle, Pugsley, who's 6'1" 236. Their 2nd receiver is 6'0" 194.

As far as playing our base 4-3 with soft coverage, I'm not as concerned. Duquesne was somewhat one-dimensional with their running game offense. When I watched, we often had our LB's crowding the line and our DB's, especially Brown, were playing fairly tight to their assignments on the outside.

Comment

That's because Weber had a win over #2 seed EWU, while our only win against a playoff team was Montana St., whom Weber also beat.

I'd say our losses were a wash as they lost to FBS Utah and NAU, while we lost to #1 NDSU and UNI.
                        i think that NDSU > Utah and UNI is > than NAU and Weber State is still #2 seed. But your certainly right that if we had beaten UNI we would have had a good claim to #2 seed, but I still think that there are a lot of other conferences that don't want 2 MVFC teams to be in control of the home field playoff schedule. Time to go out and prove ourselves to the rest of the country now though.

Comment

http://www.ksuowlhowl.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 Here is a link to there fan board.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                            i think that NDSU > Utah and UNI is > than NAU and Weber State is still #2 seed.
                            There's the problem. This is all subjective. Through yellow and blue glasses that sounds great, but someone that is unbiased will likely have a different opinion.

We had a chance to get the two seed (or at worst 3 seed) but didn't get the job done during the regular season so we are at the mercy of the committee and their opinions. No one to blame but ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              There's the problem. This is all subjective. Through yellow and blue glasses that sounds great, but someone that is unbiased will likely have a different opinion.

We had a chance to get the two seed (or at worst 3 seed) but didn't get the job done during the regular season so we are at the mercy of the committee and their opinions. No one to blame but ourselves.
                              Had UNI not lost to Youngstown and Western then that loss wouldn't have looked so bad. But, I think that the committee saw that the MVFC was down (aside from SDSU/NDSU).

Your last point in the only one that matters. SDSU didn't take care of business when they needed to and therefore got the 5 seed. We can make the injury excuse, but it was still a loss.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                                First of all, I love watching the triple option offense. When it is run well, it's a thing a beauty.

The problem with it, is if you can hamper/hamstring the running game, it's a very limited offense.

I don't think the KSU is going to have the horses up front, on either side to hang with our team this year. Our front 7 has been impressive (just ask Hines).

One thing I keep seeing brought up is the loss to Poly in 2016, and I get it, since they run the TO. However, one thing I noticed in that game...I was there, and may have even written about it after the game. That was the year, we were starting 3 new guys in the secondary(I'm almost positive), it might have been 4. And they struggled the entire game to get off blocks. Their WR's and Wingbacks were blocking 10 yards downfield, and we just struggled to get off them. Plus, it was early in the season (game 2).

I don't see Jordan Brown, or Snyder, or Machigiah having trouble in this way. I think the D line will hold the line, and the LBer's and DB's will be able to make plays.

I can't see their defense hold up against our offense. I hope I'm right.
                                That and our alignment of the d tackles were just giving away the dive before the snap even happened if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X