Quarterfinals @ KSU Owls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quarterfinals @ KSU Owls

Our defense for this game just concerns me. Maybe I'm still suffering from PTSD after that Cal Poly game, but the simple fact is we had ZERO answers player and scheme wise in that game. Now, I also feel our D is much improved from that squad, but defending the triple option is about scheme and discipline. Every time I feel this years Defense has turned the corner into becoming a dominant unit we have a ISUb/SIU type game that brings back my PTSD... And this hasn't answered whether out coaching staff actually knows how to coach up a scheme to defeat the option. All this concerns me leading into this game.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
      Our defense for this game just concerns me. Maybe I'm still suffering from PTSD after that Cal Poly game, but the simple fact is we had ZERO answers player and scheme wise in that game. Now, I also feel our D is much improved from that squad, but defending the triple option is about scheme and discipline. Every time I feel this years Defense has turned the corner into becoming a dominant unit we have a ISUb/SIU type game that brings back my PTSD... And this hasn't answered whether out coaching staff actually knows how to coach up a scheme to defeat the option. All this concerns me leading into this game.
      Brown played at Nebraska during the triple option heyday. You'd think he'd have a decent understanding of it considering he was a walk-on and likely part of the scout team for a couple seasons. Sample size is small if we are just going with the 2016 game so I think its important we also look at the 2014 game when we had better success.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
        I think that this SDSU defense is much better then the defense against Cal Poly but I still hope the coaches do a better job putting players in a position to make plays in this game. We should be able to score on them like Cal Poly but why should we have to. Stig is great at giving the coaches credit when things go right (rightfully so) but in that game the coaches got outcoached. If KSU isn't very good at passing, SDSU should be able to lock Brown up one-on-one (he is an all american) and free up somebody else to help out against the run.

Scrappy- Does the KSU O-line use chop blocks and go at players legs on most of their blocks? That is one thing that I worry about. You see a lot of option teams that use chop blocks. I think all of SDSU's OL and DL wear knee braces but I still don't like players taking them out. Wes is already injured. I know that SDSU is fairly deep on the offensive line but we don't need any more injured. I'm not saying KSU does anything wrong and I have never seen them play but just checking.

Welcome to the board.
        The cut at the line of scrimmage and they also cut out in space vs lb's and db's. It's something we have not seen at all and something that is very difficult to practice against because you don't want to injure your guys in practice. This will be a big challenge for the defense and the offense might have to answer early on while we figure out defensively the option game.

Comment

Special teams could prove to be a factor in this game. Both teams are very good in this department, but KSU has some eye popping numbers in the return game.

- They are averaging 36.5 yards per kickoff return. (1st in FCS with 2nd place averaging 29.6 yards)
          - They've only had 19 kickoff returns on the season, (12 games), but three have gone for TD's.
          - Their kicker is accurate having made 143 consecutive extra points, the 3rd longest streak of all FCS and FBS schools. He's also 10 of 12 on FG attempts with a career long of 44 yards.
          - Owls the FCS 3rd ranked net punt average at 39.95 yards/punt.
          - Punt return unit is averaging 8.1 yards per punt return versus opponents average of 2.0.

Our group can negate this potential advantage, but one mistake could prove costly. As Stig said in his preview for this game, we have outstanding special team units.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
            Special teams could prove to be a factor in this game. Both teams are very good in this department, but KSU has some eye popping numbers in the return game.

- They are averaging 36.5 yards per kickoff return. (1st in FCS with 2nd place averaging 29.6 yards)
            - They've only had 19 kickoff returns on the season, (12 games), but three have gone for TD's.
            - Their kicker is accurate having made 143 consecutive extra points, the 3rd longest streak of all FCS and FBS schools. He's also 10 of 12 on FG attempts with a career long of 44 yards.
            - Owls the FCS 3rd ranked net punt average at 39.95 yards/punt.
            - Punt return unit is averaging 8.1 yards per punt return versus opponents average of 2.0.

Our group can negate this potential advantage, but one mistake could prove costly. As Stig said in his preview for this game, we have outstanding special team units.
            The special teams return game for them is ballooned by playing really ****ty teams with awful special teams. I've watched 4 or 5 games and they have played a couple really bad teams. See Arkansas Pine Bluff!

Comment

Has anybody looked at game film from Wofford's game against KSU? I haven't, but they obviously did some things very well defensively.

KSU had to punt the ball 7 times, which, tied a school record for number of punts in a game for KSU.

QB Chandler Burks ran the ball 10 times for a net of 7 yards. He's carried the ball more than twice as much than any other back for the Owls this season and was averaging 73 yards per game. Against Wofford his longest carry was for 6 yards. If Darnell Holland doesn't break off a 53 yard TD scamper to open the 2nd quarter, Wofford holds the Owls to less than 120 yards rushing and likely wins the game. On the flip side, the Owls gave up a 57 yard TD pass.

Looking at the stats, Wofford must have played disciplined defensive assignment football. They had 50 solo tackles and only 2 assisted tackles. No gang tackling to be had. Instead, they each had to be focused on their individual assignment and they stuck to it.

When looking at the Owls drive charts, they had the ball for 14 drives in the game, on 10 of them they failed to get a first down. You don't win many games with that kind of offensive production. However, Kennesaw's defense rose to the occasion and stifled Wofford.

Again, I'm interpreting this from the box score only and have no idea what actually happened in the game. Wofford allowed only 13 points. If we do that this Saturday, we win big. I don't see us holding the Owls to that low of production.

Comment

Has anybody looked at game film from Wofford's game against KSU? I haven't, but they obviously did some things very well defensively.

KSU had to punt the ball 7 times, which, tied a school record for number of punts in a game for KSU.

QB Chandler Burks ran the ball 10 times for a net of 7 yards. He's carried the ball more than twice as much than any other back for the Owls this season and was averaging 73 yards per game. Against Wofford his longest carry was for 6 yards. If Darnell Holland doesn't break off a 53 yard TD scamper to open the 2nd quarter, Wofford holds the Owls to less than 120 yards rushing and likely wins the game. On the flip side, the Owls gave up a 57 yard TD pass.

Looking at the stats, Wofford must have played disciplined defensive assignment football. They had 50 solo tackles and only 2 assisted tackles. No gang tackling to be had. Instead, they each had to be focused on their individual assignment and they stuck to it.

When looking at the Owls drive charts, they had the ball for 14 drives in the game, on 10 of them they failed to get a first down. You don't win many games with that kind of offensive production. However, Kennesaw's defense rose to the occasion and stifled Wofford.

Again, I'm interpreting this from the box score only and have no idea what actually happened in the game. Wofford allowed only 13 points. If we do that this Saturday, we win big. I don't see us holding the Owls to that low of production.
                I've watched it twice. Wofford was stout up the middle and for the most part did a phenominal job stringing out the option. KSU ripped off a couple nice runs where Burks pivoted in the same direction as a motion man and then pivoted back and flipped it out to a RB going the other way. The slot backs have good speed for KSU. They were also without the services of their physical back against Wofford. He will likely be back this week against us.

Comment

It probably helped that both teams are option teams, so the defense was able to practice against an offense that is pretty adept at mimicking what the other team does. Doubt we have that same ability to replicate that in practice for our defense.

Comment

I am hoping our coaching staff is reaching out to former Jackrabbit assistant/current Wofford Head Coach Josh Conklin for advice.

Also, on a different note regarding the Stig Coaching tree, former Jackrabbit linebacker Isaiah Jackson is on Dan Hawkins staff at Cal-Davis. You may remember Jackson as the backup to all three linebacker spots when we had the trio of Rogers, Johnson, & Domino in the starting line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's my writeup for KSU. https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...niversity.html

Comment

Not related to this game, but Stig's coaching tree.

I noticed the other day that former linebackers coach/recruiting coordinator Clark Lea is now the defensive coordinator at #3 ranked Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          Not related to this game, but Stig's coaching tree.

I noticed the other day that former linebackers coach/recruiting coordinator Clark Lea is now the defensive coordinator at #3 ranked Notre Dame.
                          Had no idea. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                            It probably helped that both teams are option teams, so the defense was able to practice against an offense that is pretty adept at mimicking what the other team does. Doubt we have that same ability to replicate that in practice for our defense.
                            It seems to me that the teams I have seen with the most success are able to get penetration up the middle. I guess that fits into the "stop the dive" first philosophy of the triple option.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              It seems to me that the teams I have seen with the most success are able to get penetration up the middle. I guess that fits into the "stop the dive" first philosophy of the triple option.
                              last week the offense added a couple new wrinkles to an already complex offense...makes me think that the D may have used some of "improvement week" to add a wrinkle to handle the triple option...knowing that if they won regardless they'd be facing the triple option. Either way after watching the KSU/Wofford game and watching our D swarm like they have been I think we are better equipped to handle it now than they were 2 3/4 seasons ago when they played Cal Poly.

Comment

KSU's coach's presss conference is linked below. Definitely worth a listen. He was super complimentary of SDSU and very humble. They know just how much of an uphill battle they have this Saturday and how SDSU is the best team they've ever played. Seems like a good, passionate coach. The 2nd half of the conference is in regards to attendance and is very interesting. We think we have attendance problems... He would laugh at us. They are in a very heavily populated area and can't get people to show up and have an enrollment of 35k and can't get more than 1k students to show up. He goes on quite the passionate rant. Between being in their 4th year and having a coach like that, they're hard not to root for (except for this Saturday of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq7E93n8ga4&feature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                                X