Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quarterfinals @ KSU Owls

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    KSU's coach's presss conference is linked below. Definitely worth a listen. He was super complimentary of SDSU and very humble. They know just how much of an uphill battle they have this Saturday and how SDSU is the best team they've ever played. Seems like a good, passionate coach. The 2nd half of the conference is in regards to attendance and is very interesting. We think we have attendance problems... He would laugh at us. They are in a very heavily populated area and can't get people to show up and have an enrollment of 35k and can't get more than 1k students to show up. He goes on quite the passionate rant. Between being in their 4th year and having a coach like that, they're hard not to root for (except for this Saturday of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq7E93n8ga4&feature=youtu.be

Talking about us: "The field will tilt when they jog on the field. They're that big up front." LOL...I've never heard it phrased quite like that before.

What I do find interesting is that I don't even think we are THAT big. Pretty much every MVFC team is built like we are up front.

Comment

KSU's coach's presss conference is linked below. Definitely worth a listen. He was super complimentary of SDSU and very humble. They know just how much of an uphill battle they have this Saturday and how SDSU is the best team they've ever played. Seems like a good, passionate coach. The 2nd half of the conference is in regards to attendance and is very interesting. We think we have attendance problems... He would laugh at us. They are in a very heavily populated area and can't get people to show up and have an enrollment of 35k and can't get more than 1k students to show up. He goes on quite the passionate rant. Between being in their 4th year and having a coach like that, they're hard not to root for (except for this Saturday of course).

It is pretty amazing that in just 4 years they have made it to back to back quarterfinal games.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        It is pretty amazing that in just 4 years they have made it to back to back quarterfinal games.
        I like to see a coach like KSU's have a lot of success...I just hope it's not at our expense this weekend.

Comment

FWIW, no CJ Wilson listed on the depth chart. Not sure if that means he's for sure out again.

Genant is listed, although with an "OR" designation with Domandle.

Comment

I was looking at KSU's depth chart to see if one of their starting RB's was going to play. Jake McKenzie is listed as a starter and coach Bohannon stated he's questionable. He did not play last week against Wofford.

What really caught my eye is their depth on the offensive line. Their backup at LG is #50 Terrell Paxton, 5'11" 204 lbs. That guy must be a little dynamo or wrecking ball. You have to get to our third level on defense with our safeties and corners to find someone he matches up with on size.

Do you suppose they are intentionally minimizing some measurements to get opponents overconfident? I know it would open my eyes if I expected to see a 200 lb. lineman pulling and then get popped by somebody that seems much bigger. I'm also guessing this is a reflection of their whole team chemistry with a gritty, tough QB and a passionate coach who talks about how their team has their backs against the wall.

With their depth chart and three backups in the game, it is feasible to have a lineup from left to right at 236, 204, 255, 290,and 228 lbs. That sounds like a recipe for stirring the Krockpot!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
              I was looking at KSU's depth chart to see if one of their starting RB's was going to play. Jake McKenzie is listed as a starter and coach Bohannon stated he's questionable. He did not play last week against Wofford.

What really caught my eye is their depth on the offensive line. Their backup at LG is #50 Terrell Paxton, 5'11" 204 lbs. That guy must be a little dynamo or wrecking ball. You have to get to our third level on defense with our safeties and corners to find someone he matches up with on size.

Do you suppose they are intentionally minimizing some measurements to get opponents overconfident? I know it would open my eyes if I expected to see a 200 lb. lineman pulling and then get popped by somebody that seems much bigger. I'm also guessing this is a reflection of their whole team chemistry with a gritty, tough QB and a passionate coach who talks about how their team has their backs against the wall.

With their depth chart and three backups in the game, it is feasible to have a lineup from left to right at 236, 204, 255, 290,and 228 lbs. That sounds like a recipe for stirring the Krockpot!
              After watching a few of their games, their lineman are very small and quick, although probably not as small as they are listed. Will definitely be the smallest group we have faced this year but with the TO its much more about quickness than blowing guys off the line. If they are able to block our d-line 1 on 1 that will not bode well for us. If our d-line, particularly d tackles, have to be double teamed we should have pretty good success with the speed of our LB'S.

This is a really hard game to get a feel for. I could see them giving us all sorts of problems with the option but I could also see our front 7/8 shutting down their rushing attack. Think we will know within the first series or 2 of the game how its gonna be

Comment

The only way that size "disadvantage" they have on the o line comes into play is if 1) They are forced to drop back and throw it-and even then, if it's play action, that probably won't matter. Or 2) If our line can bullish through and disrupt timing for the option. Otherwise, it may not matter as much imo. Keep in mind, with the option, at least one and maybe two of our "bigger" bodies on the d line and/or LB core aren't going to be blocked at all. Those 230-250 pound guards are going to be double teaming or working up to our linebackers, with whom the Owls would suddenly have a size advantage. Having a bigger d line may not mean as much unless we force them out of their normal operation or we can disrupt timing.

And late in the game, those smaller o linemen are probably going to be still going at a pretty good clip. It's very important to play gap control on D this game, and see if we can disrupt the timing and read in the backfield before anyone gets outside the tackle box.

Comment

Triple option this triple option that who cares. TC,PSJ,CJ, there is a triple option and we still have more! We win.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                    Triple option this triple option that who cares. TC,PSJ,CJ, there is a triple option and we still have more! We win.
                    triple option on this triple option KK, CR, BS and we still have more there as well...is it Saturday???

Comment

Boy he really is good at sandbagging!!! 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                        Boy he really is good at sandbagging!!! 藍
                        I see it as being humble, and it was refreshing. When it comes down to it, KSU hasn't proven much of anything yet. They've never played a CAA, Big Sky, or MVFC team either in the regular season or the playoffs. So in actuality, we have no idea how good they are, because they haven't played anyone good (again, not only this year... but ever).

Comment

He really went on and on about the attendence issues. You can tell Stig is not happy with attendence either and wish he would give a similar impassioned speech!

Comment

I see it as being humble, and it was refreshing. When it comes down to it, KSU hasn't proven much of anything yet. They've never played a CAA, Big Sky, or MVFC team either in the regular season or the playoffs. So in actuality, we have no idea how good they are, because they haven't played anyone good (again, not only this year... but ever).
                            I was being kinda sarcastic, but honestly, he seems genuine, but believing coaches is a little like believing everything you hear from an auctioneer. I think he is a great coach that is doing a great job motivating his team, his fans, and trying to get the media to pay attention too. KSU football is a great story about a new program trying to slay a traditional top 5 SDSU team that should have beaten NDSU this year and has beaten them the last 2 out of 3 times they have been beaten. Its really a no loose situation for him. Win and you beat a great team as you stated so eloquently before the game, loose and you were going up against a team who is so big they tip the field when they step on it and a team whom you are still looking for a weakness on when you watch their game tape. LOL. Meanwhile you get the media fired up and they write a bunch of news stories prior to the game. Hopefully the real benefit is it gets your local fans fired up and they come out to the game in droves and create an atmosphere that brings unheard of energy to his team on Saturday afternoon and they play above their heads and pull out a win. The ultimate benefit is to drive new interest in your football team for the future. Its great promotion and he is doing it very well. Again I say all this with all due respect to KSU and all they have accomplished after all this is a new program only 4 years ago. Its his job to do this and he is doing it very well. I would be excited to have him coach my favorite team if I was a KSU fan. Bob Nielson and his fans are jealous Im sure.
                            Last edited by Sodakbull; 12-05-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

JackJD - I'll be in Watertown for some other activities on Saturday...any idea what local establishments may have the game broadcast at 2pm where I could potentially grab some food/drinks while I watch. Family friendly.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Is there any place on the East Side of Sioux Falls showing the game ?

Comment

Working...
                                X