Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoffs: Duquesne Dukes at The Dykhouse

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    Can. Not. Wait. for the the feetsball game on Saturday.

Personally, and selfishly, I hope the forecasted 3-5" of snow holds, as there is pretty much nothing better than Jackrabbit football in the snow. It really limits the crowd, the but ones that do come, are several times louder in efforts to make up the difference.
    We don’t draw with good weather in the playoffs. Gimme a foot or two as long as the wind isn’t ridiculous. This is gunna be awesome. I LOVE snow games.

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    The problem is the MPLS game has much more going for it than the football game does:

1) Unique Event Location
    2) Recognizable Regional Opponent
    3) Better Competition (Looking at last year's result against the Dukes)
    4) Indoor venue at the end of November

At some point we just have to realize that a big basketball event will almost always trump a big football event.
    Or it’s basically an OOC game that at best slightly helps with a seed if we win the Summit and doesn’t really affect the season much beyond that, played in a football stadium, vs a home playoff game that could likely be the last time to ever see the best quarterback SDSU has ever had play in person.

It is a very unique event. It’s against a good, familiar opponent. And it’s a basketball game. I’m fairly sure 75% of our fan base in general would pick a basketball game against Dakota State over a playoff football game (outside of our football season ticket holders and die hards) if the games were on the same day.

That said, with the cost and planning people have put into the basketball game, I can’t fault a soul for going to that. It just sucks to see our own athletic event kneecap our own, extremely important, home event. Also, I think our attendance would be trash without the basketball game anyways. It’s just going to be amplified.

To your last point, with our fan base, you are 1000000000% correct. We are, and always will be, a basketball school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I would LOVE to be at the fb game, snow or no snow. Unfortunately duties here Sat morning & the potential weather may not allow me to get there.

Comment

I was hopeful we'd get a noon start...not that many would consider it but I'd love to watch FB then cruise up to Mpls...a noon start would make it difficult but not impossible. Here's hoping Kennesaw gets knocked off and we win, get at least one more opportunity to say goodbye to the Seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          We don’t draw with good weather in the playoffs. Gimme a foot or two as long as the wind isn’t ridiculous. This is gunna be awesome. I LOVE snow games.

Or it’s basically an OOC game that at best slightly helps with a seed if we win the Summit and doesn’t really affect the season much beyond that, played in a football stadium, vs a home playoff game that could likely be the last time to ever see the best quarterback SDSU has ever had play in person.

It is a very unique event. It’s against a good, familiar opponent. And it’s a basketball game. I’m fairly sure 75% of our fan base in general would pick a basketball game against Dakota State over a playoff football game (outside of our football season ticket holders and die hards) if the games were on the same day.

That said, with the cost and planning people have put into the basketball game, I can’t fault a soul for going to that. It just sucks to see our own athletic event kneecap our own, extremely important, home event. Also, I think our attendance would be trash without the basketball game anyways. It’s just going to be amplified.

To your last point, with our fan base, you are 1000000000% correct. We are, and always will be, a basketball school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I would be one of the 25% that would go to a football game before a Dakota St basketball game

Comment

Basketball is the only sport I played competitively. Watching the Jacks play basketball when I was in school in the 80's was unbelievable. Football games were a lot of fun, but it just didn't compare. Times have changed and for me the choice is obvious, playoff football!!!

Enough of the thread drift. So besides the Dukes not matching up with us on paper, what are the keys to advancing this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
              Basketball is the only sport I played competitively. Watching the Jacks play basketball when I was in school in the 80's was unbelievable. Football games were a lot of fun, but it just didn't compare. Times have changed and for me the choice is obvious, playoff football!!!

Enough of the thread drift. So besides the Dukes not matching up with us on paper, what are the keys to advancing this weekend?
              Stop the run on 1st down.
              Run the ball with physicality.
              Don't have any momentum swinging turnovers
              Score early and make the Dukes chase points.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                There's one big difference for me. Take away the novelty of the venue, and it's just another non-conference basketball game. While the football game is an elimination game that needs to be won if the dream of a trip to Frisco is going to be achieved. Plus what could be the last home game for a great senior class.
                But taking away the venue is what makes the event. That would be like saying "take away the playoff implications and it is just another out of conference football game against a lesser team." You cannot take away the one qualifier while leaving the other.

Look at how we "supported" last year's senior class that was another of the best we've seen...and there wasn't anything to distract people from being at that game. Most Jackrabbit football fans are literally fair-weather fans.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                  Stop the run on 1st down.
                  Run the ball with physicality.
                  Don't have any momentum swinging turnovers
                  Score early and make the Dukes chase points.
                  Music to my long floppy ears! Talking about the merits of which game to attend is worthy of debate. However, I'm more concerned that we go 1-0 this week so that we can worry Sunday about hosting Wofford or traveling to Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                    Music to my long floppy ears! Talking about the merits of which game to attend is worthy of debate. However, I'm more concerned that we go 1-0 this week so that we can worry Sunday about hosting Wofford or traveling to Georgia.
                    My hope is that we are able to get out in front like we did last year against them. Would be really nice to rest the starters, especially on defense, for the last part of the game. When we go 1-0, we will need our defense to be as fresh as possible against either Wofford or KSU.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      There's one big difference for me. Take away the novelty of the venue, and it's just another non-conference basketball game. While the football game is an elimination game that needs to be won if the dream of a trip to Frisco is going to be achieved. Plus what could be the last home game for a great senior class.
                      I think you can make any argument for either side.
                      How about this is supposed to be the "best SDSU Men's basketball team ever" and they don't have many home/close games against worthy opponents? We play Grand Canyon and Montana at home and then this game. The rest of the games are either non-DI, against bad teams or a long ways away (other than conference games).
                      Some people like weekend getaways. This way they can watch a hopefully great SDSU basketball game and have a weekend getaway at the same time.
                      There plusses and minuses for both sides. I know people that are trying to get rid of the basketball tickets and I know people who are missing the football game for the basketball game. To each their own.

I think the football game should be a 42-14 type win.
                      If Brown plays like Brown, they shouldn't have much of a passing game. A run only team shouldn't be able to come into Brookings and beat SDSU (unless they are a NDSU caliber team and NDSU still has problems). They may get a late TD against the backups but that might be about it. Just don't turn the ball over more than a time or two and SDSU wins easily.

Comment

Forecast is calling for 1-3 inches of snow coupled with 20-30mph winds starting in the afternoon on Saturday. If that forecast holds, we are going to have a harder time winning this game than we think. The weather will be an equalizer, much like it was in the Townson-Duquesne game.

I'm in that camp that got BB tickets a long time ago and will be heading to Minneapolis early Saturday morning. Getaway 24-hours for me and my wife.

Comment

Inside versus outside....

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            Forecast is calling for 1-3 inches of snow coupled with 20-30mph winds starting in the afternoon on Saturday. If that forecast holds, we are going to have a harder time winning this game than we think. The weather will be an equalizer, much like it was in the Townson-Duquesne game.

I'm in that camp that got BB tickets a long time ago and will be heading to Minneapolis early Saturday morning. Getaway 24-hours for me and my wife.
                            I don't see much of a problem from the weather. YSU and USD were both horrible weather games and the Jacks just rammed the ball down their throats with 253 yards rushing against YSU and 323 against USD. Taryn didn't break 200 yards passing in either game.

The last four weeks it's become pretty obvious that we are going to win games by running the football. During the four game winning streak to end the season, SDSU has averaged 303 yards per game rushing, with an insane average of 8.2 yards per carry.

Comment

I seem to recall a blizzard in 2014 against WIU in which Austin Sumner threw for 300+. Im not sure that the snow will automatically mean our passing game will suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                                I seem to recall a blizzard in 2014 against WIU in which Austin Sumner threw for 300+. Im not sure that the snow will automatically mean our passing game will suffer.
                                Ryan Berry threw for 237 yards and 7 touchdowns against Illinois State in a snowstorm back in 2008 as well.

I doubt there is another team in the country with as much experience playing in crap weather as SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X