Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs CSU Rams @ Gulf Coast Showcase

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    I think this is just Otz being early season Otz, trying different matchup combinations, seeing how players react to different situations. Arians is serviceable, but imo at this time he's nothing more than a hustle role player. I think O. King, Dentlinger, and possibly Kreuger based on today's game have more upside long term. Still waiting for Dillon to get more minutes to see if/how he can contribute. I'm guessing we'll get to see that at some point before conference play starts. The nice thing is, with our top 4 players being so good, we can afford to experiment with lineups and still win games comfortably like today against a decent team.
    One observation I've had after watching Otz coach for the last 2+ seasons is that he likes to go 8 deep with his rotation, but the 7 and 8 spots are very malleable.

Just look at Season 1 with Orris and Season 2 with Key: Both hardly saw the floor for stretches of the season, but by the time February rolled around they were key (pun intended) contributors. If a young/new player isn't meeting expectations, they can fall out of the rotation just as easy as they can get back into it if they're willing to work on their inefficiencies.

This tactic seems to have brought healthy in-season competition amongst the players, and knowing that they'll be reward for continuing to develop over the course of the season (or fall out of favor if they don't) appears to keep players (particularly underclassmen) motivated.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Very good win. Judging from Coach Otz's pregame comments on the radio, he was starting Arians to go with a four-guard lineup. I'm guessing that Dentlinger will continue to start against big teams. Unfortunately, Owen King remains a turnover risk. Hopefully that changes. The Jacks need a backup who can handle the ball well. Krueger had good game today, but I don't think ball handling is his big strength either. But congrats to the Jacks. With a little better play, they could have won all four games down there.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Highlights:

Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I do have to give props to Jenkins Jr. He scores in a lot of the games but if he can play as efficiently as he did today SDSU will be tough to beat. He shot the ball well at 13-23 but that isn't what caught my eye. He normally doesn't seem to do all of the "other things" very well. He may do some things once in a great while but not all in the same game. In this game, he had 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 0 turnovers.
          Daum has a "bad game" and still scores in double figures and is near the top on the team in rebounds. He has two fouls less than two minutes into the game and still helps out. I was getting worried when that happened. With Key gone and Daum out, there were at least 2 freshmen on the court. That was good experience for later in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            Was someone saying something about culture? I think we will be okay.
            Said "someone" has been MIA (imagine that) and most likely will remain MIA until our next loss.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
              Said "someone" has been MIA (imagine that) and most likely will remain MIA until our next loss.
              If this is a reference to me about me being unimpressed about how the Key situation has unfolded. I'm still here. A pair of good wins, FGCU getting smacked like they did makes our loss to them look really bad, but it is done. Let's get Dillon in some more minutes in the next game or two (if possible) and keep everyone energized and excited and I will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                If this is a reference to me about me being unimpressed about how the Key situation has unfolded. I'm still here. A pair of good wins, FGCU getting smacked like they did makes our loss to them look really bad, but it is done. Let's get Dillon in some more minutes in the next game or two (if possible) and keep everyone energized and excited and I will be happy.
                Negative.

Missed today's game. Watched highlights though, I like it when we play the Rams.

It would be interesting to sit down with Daum or Jenkins or anyone really, and ask them, off the record, what they think of playing these tournaments...in front of literally no one. It's got to be kind of a downer, I would think. Maybe they couldn't care less?
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                  Negative.

Missed today's game. Watched highlights though, I like it when we play the Rams.

It would be interesting to sit down with Daum or Jenkins or anyone really, and ask them, off the record, what they think of playing these tournaments...in front of literally no one. It's got to be kind of a downer, I would think. Maybe they couldn't care less?
                  But it's in Florida. Where it's warm and sunny. And it sounded like a lot of their families were there.

Comment

Getting 4 games in a short span of days against at least decent mid level D1, usually higher level, is hard to turn down. Especially with how hard it is to schedule in D1 MBB.

Comment

I'm still waiting for your explanation that TJ can't coach offense. Feel free to leave that in any thread you'd like.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

[QUOTE=RabbitObsessed;337620]I'm still waiting for your explanation that TJ can't coach offense. Feel free to leave that in any thread you'd like.[/QUOTE

Well, you asked. Did you attend any of the first 10 games or so. When we were sitting around running a three man weave till there was 10 or less seconds left to go then we had to throw up a shot from whemever/wherever it was a mess. Our lineups were a day to day change, all we had was Daum. We struggled to beat Wayne State at home. And you want to say it was a great start, BS. I haven't been a strong critic of TJ and his offense since the first half of his opening season. With that said I expected a coach coming into a D1 program to be able to have a sense of how he wants his offense to perform and execute it. Not the jumbled up mess we had. Is that enough of a explanation for you, or do you just want to pick away at me because I don't think we are always awesome and never have issues?

Comment

One little difference between our game with FGCU and the game today is that ours was a true road game in front of a packed house on their floor. Today was a neutral court in front of essentially no one. FGCU caught us on a bad day at their gym, we beat them any other day at any other location.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                            One little difference between our game with FGCU and the game today is that ours was a true road game in front of a packed house on their floor. Today was a neutral court in front of essentially no one. FGCU caught us on a bad day at their gym, we beat them any other day at any other location.
                            I get that. But Tyler said on the radio it was literally like two miles from the FGCU arena to this one. Didn't any of their fans drive over to watch? If FGCU is a strong team with home court advantage they should have been in the drivers seat. But they sucked butt in the tourney. JMO, but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the deal. It's done. Onto UMKC.

Comment

Well, you asked. Did you attend any of the first 10 games or so. When we were sitting around running a three man weave till there was 10 or less seconds left to go then we had to throw up a shot from whemever/wherever it was a mess. Our lineups were a day to day change, all we had was Daum. We struggled to beat Wayne State at home. And you want to say it was a great start, BS. I haven't been a strong critic of TJ and his offense since the first half of his opening season. With that said I expected a coach coming into a D1 program to be able to have a sense of how he wants his offense to perform and execute it. Not the jumbled up mess we had. Is that enough of a explanation for you, or do you just want to pick away at me because I don't think we are always awesome and never have issues?
                              How many times have you seen that type of offense since those first games where things were a mess? Things have been pretty damn good in terms of offensive output, haven't they? Seems like the sign of a good offensive coach, able to adapt and adjust his offense, don't you think? You wouldn't happen to be a person who holds gridges, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                How many times have you seen that type of offense since those first games where things were a mess? Things have been pretty damn good in terms of offensive output, haven't they? Seems like the sign of a good offensive coach, able to adapt and adjust his offense, don't you think? You wouldn't happen to be a person who holds gridges, would you?
                                It didn't help that the starting PG for those first few games was a just out of high school Cole Gentry.

Comment

Working...
                                X