Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs Roadrunners @ Gulf Coast Showcase

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    I'm sure Flatten has improved his game solely on his own. TJ or any of the assistants that he brought in I'm sure have nothing to do with it. He's twice the player he was before TJ arrived.
    I think that TJ and his assistants helped Flatten but I hope all coaches do that for their players.
    Was Flatten not injured his first and third seasons at SDSU? He was injured the 2015-6 season and TJ was hired in 2016 so Flatten didn't play the year before he arrived.
    Does his ability to shoot the ball more help him in this game/season? There aren't many games he puts up 10+ shots. Jenkins Jr only shot 7 shots so that left some shots out there to be taken. So far it looks like the freshmen aren't going to put up many shots so if Daum or Jenkins Jr. don't shoot 30-40 shots hopefully Flatten will put them up. I think he should be more aggressive anyway. He averaged about 5 shots/game last season and he is about on pace to double that this season. He is on pace to more than double his scoring, too.
    Could Flatten be stronger, faster, and more mature?
    I think TJ and his assistants are helping but I think there are other things that factor in.

I like TJ and his staff so I'm waiting to see how his freshmen develop throughout the season.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Couldn't break 100? Chalk up another failure to the lack of culture we have due to TJ.
      Sarcasm no doubt. I think the program is in good hands.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
        sky isn’t falling but there is no doubt those two losses hurt us come March. I’d agree with the poster that said TJ isn’t a great defensive coach because he isn’t, that’s obvious. Stats and data back that up, but he has done a great job on the offensive end which is backed up by stats and data. TJ has done well so far by only making the tournament back to back years. I believe his jacks tenure will be fully dictated these upcoming years when none of nagys guys are still around. TJ has hit on jenkins as he is a beast but so far the rest is up for debate.
        TJ has taken "Nagy's Guys" and made them better players. Look at what playing in a free offense has done for Daum. College basketball is much like college football, great offense and defense when you need it.

TJ has done more than "just make the tournament." When nagy left, he also left a very bare cupboard when it came to the back-court. We all remember the stuggles that this team had right away that season. It took a thick skin and some very good coaching to get the team to stay together and end up in the NCAA tournament after a good portion of the "faithful" had written them off.

I saw all of Nagy's tenure and I think that at this point in their SDSU career, TJ is a better coach. Time will tell if he continues to improve like Scott did, or if he will level off.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          TJ has taken "Nagy's Guys" and made them better players. Look at what playing in a free offense has done for Daum. College basketball is much like college football, great offense and defense when you need it.

TJ has done more than "just make the tournament." When nagy left, he also left a very bare cupboard when it came to the back-court. We all remember the stuggles that this team had right away that season. It took a thick skin and some very good coaching to get the team to stay together and end up in the NCAA tournament after a good portion of the "faithful" had written them off.

I saw all of Nagy's tenure and I think that at this point in their SDSU career, TJ is a better coach. Time will tell if he continues to improve like Scott did, or if he will level off.
          I remember a quote from Nagy about how he wasn't a very good coach during his DII days because he could just recruit better players. When we went DI he had to really learn to coach. To a lesser degree I'm guessing it's the same story for TJ. Expecting a guy in his 30's to be a perfect coach is outrageous. I think he's done pretty well here in his first couple years.

FYI, I'd like to see us better defensively as that doesn't slump like offense can. Hopefully TJ can get that end figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I remember a quote from Nagy about how he wasn't a very good coach during his DII days because he could just recruit better players. When we went DI he had to really learn to coach. To a lesser degree I'm guessing it's the same story for TJ. Expecting a guy in his 30's to be a perfect coach is outrageous. I think he's done pretty well here in his first couple years.

FYI, I'd like to see us better defensively as that doesn't slump like offense can. Hopefully TJ can get that end figured out.
            How true!!
            No doubt one of the best. The first season I watched SDSU basketball was 1953-54 and the last season of basketball coaching by Rueben Jack Frost before he became the first full time Athletic Director. One thing I see TJ has in common with Coach Frost is that he keeps his audibles for time outs and practice. You never saw either scream and yell at players.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
              Flatten 6-6 from 3, 27 pts., according to the ESPN app.
              This is the year where Flatten has to show up every game. He doesn't need to score 20 some points a game but we can't afford him scoring single digits and expect a lot of great things.

Comment

Sorry but no way right now otz is a better coach than Nagy. In the future maybe but right now no way. Of course Nagys players are getting better....they have more experience and more playing time because outside of jenkins we’ve yet to see anyone make a huge impact to this program.

Otz has improved offense but you win games playing defense, once the team shows that otz can take the reigns from nagy but that’s crazy to think he’s a better coach than Scott right now.

Comment

Ho Hum. Poor Scott Nagy took some of his bare cupboard to Wright State and now they are sitting on top of the Horizon which is exactly where Otz may have been had there not been a political hire in Milwaukee. Kick Nagy around in your dreams, but the real world says you may have some delusional thoughts. Otz is still a great recruiter and good coach, but Nagy is not the punk you seem to relegate. The facts may rule against this line of chatter.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                    Sorry but no way right now otz is a better coach than Nagy. In the future maybe but right now no way. Of course Nagys players are getting better....they have more experience and more playing time because outside of jenkins we’ve yet to see anyone make a huge impact to this program.

Otz has improved offense but you win games playing defense, once the team shows that otz can take the reigns from nagy but that’s crazy to think he’s a better coach than Scott right now.
                    Otz is a better coach in his 3rd season at SDSU than Nagy was us his 3rd season. That's what my post was referencing. Of course right now Nagy is the better coach. He has about 17 more seasons under his belt.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                      Ho Hum. Poor Scott Nagy took some of his bare cupboard to Wright State and now they are sitting on top of the Horizon which is exactly where Otz may have been had there not been a political hire in Milwaukee. Kick Nagy around in your dreams, but the real world says you may have some delusional thoughts. Otz is still a great recruiter and good coach, but Nagy is not the punk you seem to relegate. The facts may rule against this line of chatter.
                      I would never refer to Scott as a "punk." I liked him everytime we got a chance to chat.

Nagy laid the groundwork, TJ will take us to the next step, and whomever replaces TJ will be tasked with improving from where he left off. That's how we can end up with a mid-major power for years to come

Comment

UTSA leading FGCU by 15 with 4 min to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X