GDT:SDSU Jackrabbits vs Tuland GreenWave @ Gulf Coast Showcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT:SDSU Jackrabbits vs Tuland GreenWave @ Gulf Coast Showcase

Its a catch 22 like others have said. You have to bank on that it will take winning the Summit to get into the NCAA Tourney. Has the Summit League ever had an at large? So, you can't really worry about that. You have to plan everything around taking care of winning the conference and the conference tournament.

The season is long and they will need a lot more than just Daum, King, Jenkins, and Flatten to get where they want to go. They need to develop some depth and also get into sync with each other. That is a recipe for some lackluster games.

That all said, the loss today was disappointing. We have a pretty veteran crew and Tulane is pretty raw. It didn't happen today. Learn from it, get better, and beat the team tomorrow.

Think back to where we were a year ago or even better yet two years ago. We will be fine! Trust the process!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      Its a catch 22 like others have said. You have to bank on that it will take winning the Summit to get into the NCAA Tourney. Has the Summit League ever had an at large? So, you can't really worry about that. You have to plan everything around taking care of winning the conference and the conference tournament.

The season is long and they will need a lot more than just Daum, King, Jenkins, and Flatten to get where they want to go. They need to develop some depth and also get into sync with each other. That is a recipe for some lackluster games.

That all said, the loss today was disappointing. We have a pretty veteran crew and Tulane is pretty raw. It didn't happen today. Learn from it, get better, and beat the team tomorrow.

Think back to where we were a year ago or even better yet two years ago. We will be fine! Trust the process!

SUPERBUNNY
      I understand your thought process as it relates to personnel. This opinion will not be popular but as a basketball lifer...TJ is a below average coach. I just finished listening to an interview with Nate Oats and his competive drive and PREPERATION is vastly superior to TJ. I could easily see this team getting knocked off in the conference tourney and not making the NCAA's. As a matter of fact I think that will happen. We have no depth and player development has been minimal. The loss of Key was huge. That issue should never have materialized IF we had the right culture.

I am not high on this team at all. I WAS. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by TheDancingJackRabbit View Post
        I understand your thought process as it relates to personnel. This opinion will not be popular but as a basketball lifer...TJ is a below average coach. I just finished listening to an interview with Nate Oats and his competive drive and PREPERATION is vastly superior to TJ. I could easily see this team getting knocked off in the conference tourney and not making the NCAA's. As a matter of fact I think that will happen. We have no depth and player development has been minimal. The loss of Key was huge. That issue should never have materialized IF we had the right culture.

Lol, this post...

Comment

As others have said, these losses are pretty detrimental for our potential seeding in the tournament. The goal this year -- in Daum's senior season -- is to win a game in the tourney. Simple as that.

Unfortunately we are much younger and less talented than we probably anticipated. It kinda feels like we have four seniors playing with a JV squad at this point. That comes off as negative, but these youngsters just aren't quite there yet. Owen King will be more athletic as he ages. And he should not have had to play this many minutes if Key would've just stayed on the team. Arians doesn't look like he's quite ready to play at high level D1 basketball. Dentlinger, while solid, isn't nearly as athletic as most bigs we'll see. We miss Reed more than we anticipated.

I get that we're young, but I start to wonder if Otz should've gotten a couple of these guys minutes last season. I understand preserving eligibility, but it seems like Alou Dillon could've matured some and been a much bigger player this year if he got 5-10 min per game last year.

I'm probably being overly pessimistic, but I just think about how these losses will look IF we win the Summit League tourney. We're probably looking at a 13 seed or worse and that greatly worsens our chances of winning a tournament game in what should be this school's best chance ever.

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
            As others have said, these losses are pretty detrimental for our potential seeding in the tournament. The goal this year -- in Daum's senior season -- is to win a game in the tourney. Simple as that.

Unfortunately we are much younger and less talented than we probably anticipated. It kinda feels like we have four seniors playing with a JV squad at this point. That comes off as negative, but these youngsters just aren't quite there yet. Owen King will be more athletic as he ages. And he should not have had to play this many minutes if Key would've just stayed on the team. Arians doesn't look like he's quite ready to play at high level D1 basketball. Dentlinger, while solid, isn't nearly as athletic as most bigs we'll see. We miss Reed more than we anticipated.

I get that we're young, but I start to wonder if Otz should've gotten a couple of these guys minutes last season. I understand preserving eligibility, but it seems like Alou Dillon could've matured some and been a much bigger player this year if he got 5-10 min per game last year.

I'm probably being overly pessimistic, but I just think about how these losses will look IF we win the Summit League tourney. We're probably looking at a 13 seed or worse and that greatly worsens our chances of winning a tournament game in what should be this school's best chance ever.
            This guy knows his chit

Comment

With that being said, I think Otz is a good coach. And from what I've heard, I don't place any blame on him for the Key situation. Gotta keep grinding and figure out how to get Arians and Owen King to play to their current strengths. We have three scoring threats that could knock off a lot of great teams if things are clicking together. Circle the big non-con games we have left (Nevada, UNI) and pull out some big wins. We'll end up with a solid season and will look different and more complete in March than we do right now. But it's been disappointing having to adjust expectations a little bit in Daum's senior year.

Comment

With that being said, I think Otz is a good coach. And from what I've heard, I don't place any blame on him for the Key situation. Gotta keep grinding and figure out how to get Arians and Owen King to play to their current strengths. We have three scoring threats that could knock off a lot of great teams if things are clicking together. Circle the big non-con games we have left (Nevada, UNI) and pull out some big wins. We'll end up with a solid season and will look different and more complete in March than we do right now. But it's been disappointing having to adjust expectations a little bit in Daum's senior year.
                Not sure that expectations that this team would be better just because Mike became a senior were realistic. Especially since we lost a 4 year starter that was the glue guy and one of the leaders of the team, plus Severyn and Theisen who provided all the backup minutes at the 4 and 5 spots.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  Not sure that expectations that this team would be better just because Mike became a senior were realistic. Especially since we lost a 4 year starter that was the glue guy and one of the leaders of the team, plus Severyn and Theisen who provided all the backup minutes at the 4 and 5 spots.
                  I certainly agree with you, but the hype train for this season was bigger than ever before. Realistically, though, we have some flaws (youth, inexperience, lack of athleticism) that got swept under the hype of Daum/Jenkins. All of which are, again, especially spotlighted due to the absence of Brandon Key.

Comment

Please come back to this board at the end of the season. PLEASE!

Comment

Agreed. Otz shouldn’t get blame for the Key situation.

Brandon Key really screwed over his teammates.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        Agreed. Otz shouldn’t get blame for the Key situation.

Brandon Key really screwed over his teammates.
                        Completely agree. Just because Otz used the 3 guard lineup for the exhibition games in Canada, some people apparently thought that meant it would be the regular season lineup. Otz correctly decided that starting 3 players 6'2 or under was not feasible. He then correctly decided that T.King and Jenkins would start at the guard spots. Not sure what Key's complaint is.

Comment

I'm as disappointed as anyone with these last two losses. I had hopes of a dream season where we are undefeated going in to Nevada but that probably wasn't realistic. It's basketball, and shots fall or don't fall and the ball bounces different ways on different days. If we play FGCU or Tulane in a 7 game series no way we lose, but we played them on the wrong day. That's going to happen in basketball.

Hard to blame TJ 5 games in to the season where you beat a very good GCU team and lost 2 close ones. No doubt this team has continued to trend upwards since the middle of his first season. Disagree with the lack of player development with King, Flatten, and really Daum making significant strides these last 2 years. Not sure what anyone would be going off of on the 4 RS freshman as its very possible they improved immensely over the last year as this is the first we've seen of them.

This team will be fine. I've watched every game this year and this is by far the most talented team we've put on the floor. Still a few things to shore up in regards to turnovers and defense but that will improve as we've seen in the previous 2 years.

I do agree we do need to start collecting some W's sooner rather than later to remain in the 12 seed discussion. Let's start today vs a CUSA team.

Comment

Your 4th post on the board is ripping TJ, calling him a below average coach? Seriously? We lost a lot from last season. We have a lot of young players getting minutes. A loss to Tulane hurts the resume, but it isn't the end of the world. I suggest you wait a few weeks before beginning the "fire TJ" and bring on that guy who grew up in Mitchell.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                              Your 4th post on the board is ripping TJ, calling him a below average coach? Seriously? We lost a lot from last season. We have a lot of young players getting minutes. A loss to Tulane hurts the resume, but it isn't the end of the world. I suggest you wait a few weeks before beginning the "fire TJ" and bring on that guy who grew up in Mitchell.
                              Are we so sure this isn't actually the guy who grew up in Mitchell making these posts?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                I guess I thought that this team would be better.
                                The loss of Reed hurt a lot but losing Severyn, Howell and Theisen should be easily offset. They barely scored over 10 points and had a playing time of one player (between the three of them). TJ was supposed to be a great recruiter. He has 7 players that he recruited to find some replacements for about two players. I don't think any of the 7 will be as good as Reed but they could be close and the other players hopefully improved some over the last 7 months.
                                I do think the team will get better once the freshmen get more playing time. If they don't come around, this team might be 2 or 3 years away from being this good again. This might stretch it a little but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X