Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: USD Coyotes

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I respectfully disagree. For the sake of keeping attendance up in the late fall, the Jacks need a good, season-ending home game.
    Tbh I’m not entirely sure how many more people come for the vermin game. Yeah there were some of their fans there, but not that many. We’re prolly in the 4.5-5k range without it being the USeD game IMO. Until they aren’t a conference whipping boy I don’t see that changing. And if anybody want to try to say they are our biggest rival in football they deserve to be ridiculed. Half the stadium would be their fans in weather like this, but the place would be damn near full I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      Curious what impact USD having shot at playoffs might've had on attendance, as both MSU and UM matchup had playoff implications for both teams, whereas Dakota Showdown really only impacted Jacks' playoff seeding
      They sell that game out no matter what the teams records are

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        If I’m our AD I’m jumping the MVFCs **** about never having this game at the end of the season again. I do not want to have a rivalry game at the end of the season against a team who never has anything to play for while we have everything to play for. It just opens the door for all the cheap **** to happen like this. The USeD game should start the season and the Marker Game should end it. The other factor is if this game is early we get a possible sell out due to weather and they will probably have sold themselves on the idea they could be good. Show this tape to the conference and tell them you don’t want this to happen again.

Or the conference could just demand some degree of good sportsmanship and decency from their conference members and not have to complicate a difficult scheduling process with ridiculous bs like what happened yesterday. I wasn't impressed at all with Nielsons post game interview. His body language and answers were almost defiant.

Hopefully none of these guys will be on any post season awards lists.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Compare cold weather attendance: At Missoula yesterday, for the Brawl of the West, a record 26,508 were in Griz Washington Stadium to watch Montana State hang on to win 29-25 after a Montana fumble ended the Griz bid for a come-from-behind win and a possible playoff berth. It was 30 degrees at game time,

Those of us in the DJD stadium yesterday had a great time watching football outside. For me, Montana continues to be the example of what we want to achieve with fan support.

Additional point: our 45-14 win over Montana State was a good win.
          The big difference between Missoula and Brookings is that Missoula has almost 3.5x the population of Brookings (23k to 78k). I think SDSU overestimates the draw from Sioux Falls for attendance. Driving an hour one way to sit in 10 degree weather is a big ask.

Comment

A couple of observations: If you Google "future fcs schedules " it will take you to a site which shows that this game will be played on October 10, 2020. USD dealt with some disciplinary issues last season and did it very well. I suspect that they will take a good look at yesterday's game and act if they believe it to be appropriate. Let's give them a chance to do so. They may not choose to go public. That us their decision to make.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
              The big difference between Missoula and Brookings is that Missoula has almost 3.5x the population of Brookings (23k to 78k). I think SDSU overestimates the draw from Sioux Falls for attendance. Driving an hour one way to sit in 10 degree weather is a big ask.
              I recognize there are circumstances which make SDSU's attendance goal unique but I'm still optimistic we'll get there (and that includes a steady stream of cars coming up from Sioux Falls and a proportionate stream coming down from Watertown). I was told yesterday that some poster on the USD board (just one) was critical of the number of people wearing SDSU gear and the poster was indignant that SDSU gear is beng worn to church. I, too, see more and more SDSU gear being worn everywhere (I'm in Watertown) including church. That's exactly what should happen as the fan base expands. [Even through some down years, go anywhere in Nebraska and you'll see Nebraska gear. That's what we want to see here.] More anecdotal evidence: Both at church this morning afterward at Starbucks, I had friends comment on yesterday's football game -- they had no connection with SDSU but they watched at least part of the game on TV and knew a lot about it. People are paying attention.
              Last edited by JackJD; 11-18-2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I recognize there are circumstances which make SDSU's attendance goal unique but I'm still optimistic we'll get there (and that includes a steady stream of cars coming up from Sioux Falls and a proportionate stream coming down from Watertown. I was told yesterday that some poster on the USD board (just one) was critical of the number of people wearing SDSU gear and the poster was indignant that SDSU gear is beng worn to church. I, too, see more and more SDSU gear being worn everywhere (I'm in Watertown) including church. That's exactly what should happen as the fan base expands. [Even through some down years, go anywhere in Nebraska and you'll see Nebraska gear. That's what we want to see here.] More anecdotal evidence: Both at church this morning afterward at Starbucks, I had friends comment on yesterday's football game -- they had no connection with SDSU but they watched at least part of the game on TV and knew a lot about it. People are paying attention.
                I agree totally. I'm a '92 graduate and live 3 hours away and up until the last few years haven't been too excited to attend games since graduation. The fan base is building, in fact up until last few years not a lot of talk about SDSU football up here. I listened to them on the radio a lot though. Last year I know numerous groups that got together for a road trip to watch the Bison lose to the Jacks. That never happened before. Those people and their kids will be back. It was a great atmosphere that can't be replicated anywhere in South Dakota. Sold out stadiums are not going to happen overnight but I believe putting a good team on the field will build the fan base even more. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Comment

For a cold November game against a bad team over 8 is good. Look at past history. 2-5 k would be the norm. It's a culture you have to build. Montana schools and ndsu have been working on that culture for decades more then us. I think we get there but it will take time.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Back to the game proper --
                    It's my recollection there were two ejections from the game. The first was when a Yote took a swing at Rozeboom. My wife (pays closer attention to the game than me) doesn't recall that guy getting ejected. I have the game recorded and will have to look at it again but anyone else remember whether that incident resulted in an ejection? I'm quite sure the ref assessed a personal foul penalty and I thought the guy was sent to the lockerroom.

----Just checked the replay. #2 Henry on USD hit Rozeboom but he was NOT ejected.

The final recap showed SDSU having 14 penalties for 145 yards, the worst penalty performance for the season (one of the penalties was "called"...the offensive right guard jumped when we were punting which backed us up 5 yards to give Hale a little more manuevering room for his punt). USD was called for 6 penalties for 71 yards.

Comment

Back to the game proper --
                      It's my recollection there were two ejections from the game. The first was when a Yote took a swing at Rozeboom. My wife (pays closer attention to the game than me) doesn't recall that guy getting ejected. I have the game recorded and will have to look at it again but anyone else remember whether that incident resulted in an ejection? I'm quite sure the ref assessed a personal foul penalty.
                      It was his first unsportsmanlike penalty. Second one will disqualify you.

Comment

You're right.
                        The guy who got ejected (later in the game) was #2 Mike Johnson, a defensive back, ejected for targeting. Apparently he had been ejected the prior game so he had to sit the first half of the SDSU game. Well, I guess that's one way to get out of the cold weather.

Comment

A question on the Yote board that I think should be considered in the future is why the field wasn't covered before the bad weather hit. I realize it wouldn't be a cheap fix and there may be entire seasons where you may not use it, but if the plan is to have a program that expects to host December playoff games, it may be something that needs to be done. Some will say that the field condition is a home field advantage, but I would hate to see a player suffer a season or even career ending injury because of field conditions like yesterday.
                          Last edited by bigticket1; 11-18-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            A question on the Yote board that I think should to be considered in the future is why the field wasn't covered before the bad weather hit. I realize it wouldn't be a cheap fix and there may be entire seasons where you may not use it, but if the plan is to have a program that expects to host December playoff games, it may be something that needs to be done. Some will say that the field condition is a home field advantage, but I would hate to see a player suffer a season or even career ending injury because of field conditions like yesterday.
                            This is actually a valid point. Never thought of it until now. You cover the mound and the infield in baseball in the name of playability and player safety.

I was on the field after the game and it was basically ice pellets. It had to be miserable for the athletes that had to try & make a cut on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              A question on the Yote board that I think should to be considered in the future is why the field wasn't covered before the bad weather hit. I realize it wouldn't be a cheap fix and there may be entire seasons where you may not use it, but if the plan is to have a program that expects to host December playoff games, it may be something that needs to be done. Some will say that the field condition is a home field advantage, but I would hate to see a player suffer a season or even career ending injury because of field conditions like yesterday.
                              I asked this to someone at the game. I was told it’s a million just for the cover. That being said, they should probably get it done.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Why not just go for the heated field.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X