• Show
Clear All

Re: USD week

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Post # 10
    Thank you Roy.

Comment

The question I have is whether the defensive coaches will show up in this game. I watched USD versus Weber. Weber brought the heat and absolutely destroyed USD. My concern is after this game we will hear Stig talk about how "we called a lot of base defense in this game." They have a porous offensive line, so make the QB run for his life and help the secondary out. It seems that once I think this defense finally has it figured out, ISUb or SIU comes along and just shreds it. At least USD doesn't have a running game to worry about, so put the hammer down and get after Simmons and make his life miserable.

Offensively, well no concerns there.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
        The question I have is whether the defensive coaches will show up in this game. I watched USD versus Weber. Weber brought the heat and absolutely destroyed USD. My concern is after this game we will hear Stig talk about how "we called a lot of base defense in this game." They have a porous offensive line, so make the QB run for his life and help the secondary out. It seems that once I think this defense finally has it figured out, ISUb or SIU comes along and just shreds it. At least USD doesn't have a running game to worry about, so put the hammer down and get after Simmons and make his life miserable.

Offensively, well no concerns there.

I was looking at the MVFC stats (go to the conference's website: http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/team.pdf ) through the Nov 10 games. SDSU is ranked better than USD in nearly every category - and significantly better in most categories.

SteelSD's post is supported in the stats. USD's overall scoring offense is #6 in the conference while SDSU's is #1. Same for total offense. USD's rushing offense is #9 (SDSU's is #4). USD's rushing defense is #7 while SDSU's is #6. SDSU's pass offense is #1 -- a little surprise to me was USD's pass offense is #2. SDSU's pass defense is #4 while USD's pass defense is #6.

Here's a telling number: SDSU's pass efficiency is #1 while USD's is #7 (I think that indicates opportunities for interceptions and turnovers -- SDSU is #2 in intercepting the opponent's QB while USD is #8).

In making sacks, the teams are pretty close. This is one of the few categories USD is ahead of SDSU--but it isn't much: USD is tied with YSU at #5, with 17 made in 10 games. SDSU is tied with InSU and UNI with a total of 16 but for SDSU, having played 9 games, the per game average is 1.78 -- better than USD's per game average of 1.70 over 10 games. [Relatively minor differences, in my opinion.]

Here's a category worth noting: Compare the stats for "sacks against". SDSU and NDSU are tied for #1, giving up 10 sacks total (SDSU in 9 games, NDSU in 10). USD comes in at the bottom, #10, having allowed a total of 34 sacks in 10 games. (Note the significance of having allowed 34 sacks: Missouri State is #9, having given up 21 sacks for the season. Wow. USD has given up 24 more sacks than SDSU. I know Simmons can run with the ball but geez, maybe retired USD track coach Gotts should be an assistant on the football team for the sake of Simmons's health. ).

Prediction based on stats: SteelSD gets his wish. Simmons will be running for his life, missing passes, and occasionally enjoying a taste of the best artificial turf in the league.

We've all watched games in which statistics accumulated prior to the kickoff mean nothing once the game starts. This game will be decided based on toughness, which team executes better and limits self-inflicted wounds, and heart: which team wants to win more. My prediction stated above remains unchanged. Whatever malaise has invaded the red team's locker room isn't going to go away this Saturday.

Comment

Jump on them early and take away their hope. A dome team with the weather were going to have Saturday? Theyll fold like a cheap tent. Give them hope and it could be a dogfight. Finish drives and let Mikey and Strong crush their will on the cold turf.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Some history leading up to Saturday's game:

Stig became head coach of the Jackrabbits for the 1997 season. SDSU and USD played football 1997 through 2003. SDSU departed for Division 1 after the 2003 season. The SDSU v. USD football games resumed in 2012.

Last time USD defeated SDSU in football was 11/4/2000, in Brookings: USD 41, SDSU 28. USD also won the game in Stig's first season, 21-3 in Vermillion. The Jacks under Stig are 10-2 against the Coyotes.

Since 2000, the closest score was last year's SDSU 31, USD 28 game in Vermillion. [The short recap: Neither team scored in the first quarter. SDSU scored 17 while USD scored 14 in the second quarter. Both teams scored 7 in the third. In the fourth, with just under five minutes on the clock, SDSU scored seven to go up 31-21. USD's Streveler then directed a five-play, 76-yard drive that took about a minute, to make the score 31-28 with a little more than two minutes left on the clock. SDSU 31, USD 28.]
            Last edited by JackJD; 11-14-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Did we not also lose about 50 yards trying to run out the clock by running around in the back field?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                Did we not also lose about 50 yards trying to run out the clock by running around in the back field?
                Yes, we did lose about 50 yards trying to run the clock out.
                I remember that they called SDSU's FB for targeting on that drive. They reviewed it and overturned it but the play clock started at 25 seconds instead of 40 seconds.
                Christian snapped the ball with about 4 seconds left and knelt at the 1 as time expired. I was wondering if he knelt with a second left on the clock giving USD the ball on the 1 yard line. He didn't do that but it sure was close.
                Exciting game to the last second.
                It shouldn't have been that close but SDSU lovely non-prevent defense let USD go about 75 yards in less than 1 minute.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  Yes, we did lose about 50 yards trying to run the clock out.
                  I remember that they called SDSU's FB for targeting on that drive. They reviewed it and overturned it but the play clock started at 25 seconds instead of 40 seconds.
                  Christian snapped the ball with about 4 seconds left and knelt at the 1 as time expired. I was wondering if he knelt with a second left on the clock giving USD the ball on the 1 yard line. He didn't do that but it sure was close.
                  Exciting game to the last second.
                  It shouldn't have been that close but SDSU lovely non-prevent defense let USD go about 75 yards in less than 1 minute.
                  And it was crampgate Saturday. The Used folks are still flapping about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    And it was crampgate Saturday. The Used folks are still flapping about that one.
                    They must not have watched any of the high school games with players scramping too.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      They must not have watched any of the high school games with players scramping too.
                      No I am sure they don't have time to watch HS football and the cramping that goes on. The notion that SDSU faked cramps to slow their fast pace offense down is totally ridiculous. Any offense worth it's salt can handle timeouts and other distractions. Their coaches and staff know that, it is just that some fans do not have a balanced concept of the game going on before their own eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Boom.

I wonder if any of those coyote fans were accusing those HS players of 'cheating'.

Comment

No I am sure they don't have time to watch HS football and the cramping that goes on. The notion that SDSU faked cramps to slow their fast pace offense down is totally ridiculous. Any offense worth it's salt can handle timeouts and other distractions. Their coaches and staff know that, it is just that some fans do not have a balanced concept of the game going on before their own eyes.
                          There were a lot of USD fans that thought their team was better than it actually was last year. Sure they had a nice season, but they were never apart of the "upper" level FCS teams.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Again, they backed in last year and shouldn't have been selected over either Delaware or EWU. But they were, and they now think they're on par with the rest of the valley and in perfect position to become a dominant force. It was supposed to happen this year, and it didn't. I'm sure we'll hear about how it's going to happen next year. And the same Yote fans that trashed TC this offseason claiming we wouldn't make it back to the playoffs without our stud TE and WR will claim all next year that our entire offense was TC and we won't be anything without him in 2019. They have better talent than they had in the Glenn years, but the cards are still out as to whether they've actually taken a step forward as a program.

They are so desperate to talk **** when they have even a hint of success. Last year, as soon as they were 5-0, they came out of the woodwork on the national AGS forum. By early November, most of them were gone. And that pretty well sums up their fanbase. They're apathetic until they might be better than SDSU at something, and then they'll gloat.

I don't want to be overconfident going into Saturday's game. They have talent, and we need to bring our A game to put them away. But if given the chance, I hope we absolutely burry them and remind them that they are just as irrelevant today as they ever have been.

I expect the Jacks to come out firing on all cylinders, and not give them any early momentum.

Comment

Can someone help me with this? I am trying to remember how many times people cramped. I think Cox went down 3 times and a DL went down once. Was that it for SDSU? I think I remember a USD player going down with cramps, too. The only reason I am asking is because Zimmer even wrote an article on it for the Argus. You would this a USD play shouldn't cramp up. They should know what temp it is in there and be used to it but I'm sure a USD player went down too.
                              Thank you if anybody knows for sure.
                              I was wondering why Cox kept coming back in if he did most of the cramping.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                Can someone help me with this? I am trying to remember how many times people cramped. I think Cox went down 3 times and a DL went down once. Was that it for SDSU? I think I remember a USD player going down with cramps, too. The only reason I am asking is because Zimmer even wrote an article on it for the Argus. You would this a USD play shouldn't cramp up. They should know what temp it is in there and be used to it but I'm sure a USD player went down too.
                                Thank you if anybody knows for sure.
                                I was wondering why Cox kept coming back in if he did most of the cramping.
                                A USD fan made this video: https://twitter.com/wdiamond605/stat...29081998598144

Not sure if it contains every instance where a player went down or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X