Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASU at the Pentagon

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    I’m a fairly new and causal wrestling fan, but how do you get what Bono left and have to turn anything around? I get being young but turning it around infers that the team was bad wouldn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bono left the program in a great place - the support and excitement about SDSU wrestling couldn't be higher than it is right now. However, the timing of his departure and taking a few SDSU wrestlers with him, alongside the graduation of some of the recent greats with SDSU wrestling that Southeast called out above, left a bit of a rebuilding year. Couple this with the fact that freshmen recruits (unless elite) typically don't fare well in D1 wrestling right from the start, and it's going to take a little time for Coach Hahn to get the success on the mat back to the level we saw in the 2017-18 season.

I have no doubt he'll get it there...but I hope our casual fans stick with the program while it happens.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
      Bono left the program in a great place - the support and excitement about SDSU wrestling couldn't be higher than it is right now. However, the timing of his departure and taking a few SDSU wrestlers with him, alongside the graduation of some of the recent greats with SDSU wrestling that Southeast called out above, left a bit of a rebuilding year. Couple this with the fact that freshmen recruits (unless elite) typically don't fare well in D1 wrestling right from the start, and it's going to take a little time for Coach Hahn to get the success on the mat back to the level we saw in the 2017-18 season.

I have no doubt he'll get it there...but I hope our casual fans stick with the program while it happens.
      There's no question that Bono took the program to new heights in terms of enthusiasm, fan support and quality of wrestling. But this season, I think there would have been a significant drop in results even if Bono had stayed. Looking at Wisconsin's roster, it appears Connor Brown is the only wrestler that followed Bono. Brown would have been more competitive at 125 yesterday, but the ASU kid is ranked top 10, and it's no lock that Brown would have beaten him. I think the rest of our lineup would have been the same even if Bono had stayed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        There's no question that Bono took the program to new heights in terms of enthusiasm, fan support and quality of wrestling. But this season, I think there would have been a significant drop in results even if Bono had stayed. Looking at Wisconsin's roster, it appears Connor Brown is the only wrestler that followed Bono. Brown would have been more competitive at 125 yesterday, but the ASU kid is ranked top 10, and it's no lock that Brown would have beaten him. I think the rest of our lineup would have been the same even if Bono had stayed.
        Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not...and maybe I didn’t state my point clearly. Ultimately, we are in agreement.

This year was going to be a down year due to the graduations of three national qualifiers we had this past season.

It was only amplified by Connor Brown leaving. Bono also took Anders Lantz to UW, and Peyton Robb didn’t sign (may not have happened even if Bono stayed). Neither of those two would have impacted the lineup this year necessarily, but both would have competed for spots.

Ultimately, the result against ASU, and this coming weekend against OSU, would have been the same under our old staff.

I have confidence that Damian and crew will get us back quickly and take us to even higher success. I just hope the excitement around the program will stay there until we do.

Comment

Looking at the talent coming in for 2019 should get people excited for the future!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Looking at the talent coming in for 2019 should get people excited for the future!
            For sure! May just take a year or two for them to acclimate to the college level.

Comment

Working...
            X