Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: @Southern Illinois Salukis

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    The biggest issue we have is with the rest of the MVFC outside NDSU taking a crapper we have no real quality win to hang our hat on. UNI is not an egregious loss, but our best win may end up being over ISUb... Not exactly a schedule that stands up to much scrutiny.
    Nice thing is... It's not going to take much to be seeded this year. Just because the MVFC sabotaged itself and will likely only get 2 teams in doesn't mean we don't have any good wins. A .500 or even under .500 MVFC team is better than the top teams in most conferences. If you don't buy that, consider the fact that if we would have beat UNI, it wouldn't look like that great of a win based on record and making the playoffs, so our only shots at a "good win" this year were against MSU and NDSU? Well, we played pretty well against those two teams. When it comes down to it, all that matters is that we're playing good football at the end of the season. Our offense is obviously clicking, our defense had a rough day, but against an opponent they probably assumed they didn't have to put forth much effort for. I have confidence that in a playoff situation, we'll see the defense that we saw against MSU, NDSU, and Mo. St..

Comment

I would just like to say, I told ya so. This SIU offense is dynamic and we didn’t do ourselves any favors with missed tackles and poor angles. This game played out almost exactly how I said it would. The offense basically moved the ball with ease and the defense made just enough stops to create some space. I expected them to figure out SIU’s offense sooner but they didn’t but again, a win on the road in the MVFC is a good win.

Senior week for us. Super Bowl week for USD. Let’s go!
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        I would just like to say, I told ya so. This SIU offense is dynamic and we didn’t do ourselves any favors with missed tackles and poor angles. This game played out almost exactly how I said it would. The offense basically moved the ball with ease and the defense made just enough stops to create some space. I expected them to figure out SIU’s offense sooner but they didn’t but again, a win on the road in the MVFC is a good win.

Senior week for us. Super Bowl week for USD. Let’s go!
        Their offense was ready and having a former QB for HC, kind of tells you what their game plan was. SIU Defense apparently had several injuries and did not seem to be able to stop giving up big plays. The punt turnover was a big difference in the game. We got some breathing room and an edge in the scoring foot race. A big win as far as I am concerned. Pierre Stong had another great game. Yes you told us so, and on to the USD supper bowl. I hungry already.

Comment

We escaped with a W and that’s all I care about at this point. Anybody paying attention to the national picture might have noticed that just not losing is more impressive than most teams in the playoff hunt right now. Lots of teams were sacrificed to Lord Chaos this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            I would just like to say, I told ya so.
            You are correct we barely squeaked out that 19 point win....another 3 scores and they would have won! Dear lord....
            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              You are correct we barely squeaked out that 19 point win....another 3 scores and they would have won! Dear lord....
              Big win against a very explosive offensive team. D didn't play to the level of the past few weeks, but they got stops when they needed to. The O-line dominated once again and really protected well and gave the running game some nice holes to run through. Looked like we had a few more injuries which is never a good time going in to USD week. Slade looked pretty gimpy throughout the game. Ankle? Is Vinatieri still battling an injury? I just watched the game and saw he missed 3 more kicks. This is concerning as we head to the playoffs. Is Wolfe the only other kicker on the roster? He doesn't appear to have much of a leg at all. I know Jayden Snyder has a big leg and ws an all state kicker multiple times in Iowa. Does Hale place kick or just kick off?

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                Big win against a very explosive offensive team. D didn't play to the level of the past few weeks, but they got stops when they needed to. The O-line dominated once again and really protected well and gave the running game some nice holes to run through. Looked like we had a few more injuries which is never a good time going in to USD week. Slade looked pretty gimpy throughout the game. Ankle? Is Vinatieri still battling an injury? I just watched the game and saw he missed 3 more kicks. This is concerning as we head to the playoffs. Is Wolfe the only other kicker on the roster? He doesn't appear to have much of a leg at all. I know Jayden Snyder has a big leg and ws an all state kicker multiple times in Iowa. Does Hale place kick or just kick off?
                Hale was a great kicker at Yankton as well. Had 53 yd FG in HS.
                Not sure is Vinatieri is still battling any injuries. He beats himself up if he misses which could be causing him to let one miss turn into two and so on.

Comment

The final score definitely doesn't indicate how close most of that game was. I don't know the percentage, but a lot of the game we only had a one score lead. Wouldn't have taken much different to come down to the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    The final score definitely doesn't indicate how close most of that game was. I don't know the percentage, but a lot of the game we only had a one score lead. Wouldn't have taken much different to come down to the wire.
                    Not really in the second half. SIU did cut it down to a one score lead twice, but it took just over 1 minute for the Jacks to respond the first time, and just over 2 minutes to score the second time. So the Jacks had at least a two score lead for over 26 minutes in the second half. But I do agree that the lead never seemed safe until the last few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Not really in the second half. SIU did cut it down to a one score lead twice, but it took just over 1 minute for the Jacks to respond the first time, and just over 2 minutes to score the second time. So the Jacks had at least a two score lead for over 26 minutes in the second half. But I do agree that the lead never seemed safe until the last few minutes.
                      I think people are focusing too much on SIU's record and not realizing that they're actually a decent team with a good offense and bad defense. Here are their losses:

35 point loss @ Ole Miss, scored 41 points (none in garbage time, they were tied at 41 in the late 3rd before giving up 35 straight points)
                      4 point loss vs. SEMO (now 7-3)
                      7 point loss vs. USD
                      3 point loss @ YSU
                      48 point loss @ ISUr (lone head scratcher loss)
                      3 point loss vs. ISUb
                      3 point loss vs. WIU
                      19 point loss vs. SDSU

With 5 1 score games, things could have definitely gone different for SIU this season in terms of wins and losses.

Comment

Got a chance to watch the game all the way through tonight, here are my thoughts.

Love having Cade Johnson back returning kicks again. He can be so deadly in the return game, which has looked stagnant with Mikey back there. SIU tried to avoid Cade on the kickoff and ended up giving up terrible field position (they also tried to kick away from Cade and he caught one he shouldn't have that would have gone out of bounds). I know Cade is a huge asset at WR, but imo we should have him back there for kickoff returns from here on out unless it's a blowout.

Cool seeing Jadon Janke get in and block a punt for a TD.

I really hope other coaches don't catch on to the sure fire way of getting a first down against our defense in 3rd and long. Spread us out with 4 WRs and an RB running deep routes, linemen kick blocks outside, QB step through the pocket, beat one LB that's trying to spy the QB in a lot of open space. If the QB is athletic at all, it makes for an almost impossible assignment for the LB (would be nice to have Seven back, he does this well). If we can't figure this out before we inevitably play NDSU in the post season, this will haunt us with Stick converting multiple 3rd and longs.

Pierre Strong Jr... Wow. Nice to have an embarrassment of riches at the RB spot.

TC didn't have a fantastic day stat wise (13/23), but made some really good throws, especially when he needed to. Going to enjoy every second of the end of his career.

Really don't like seeing Brown get absolutely toasted on a deep route like he did at the end of the 3rd quarter.

As I stated in another post, I don't think you'll see SDSU's defense play like this in the playoffs. They didn't have any sense of urgency and missed a lot of tackles. That will happen when you have a really good offense and have confidence they can score almost at will against them.

Comment

Lastly, really hope Earith is alright. He has been our best D lineman this year. Anyone heard anything?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            And I'll counter that game was never as close as you thought it was, we never trailed the entire game and won by 3 scores.
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

And I'll counter that game was never as close as you thought it was, we never trailed the entire game and won by 3 scores.
                              I’ll agree with that. I never felt like the outcome was in doubt. But it was close enough that we didn’t get the starters much/any rest.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Was at the game. Upon return, while reading the board, I didn't see anybody point out that SIU has (or had going into the game) the #1 offense in the league. Saw some comments on "pretty good" and/or "bad defense". Nobody should have been surprised that it would be high scoring going in, and that they would be hard on our defense. So, obviously, you need to outscore them. 57-38 isn't too shabby, and considering that Chase had his worst day, the score could have easily been 64-38.

Comment

Working...
                                X