Clear All

Re: OOC Summit WBB

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    Two bid league.....
    That’s impossible. #sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
      That was sarcasm on us splitting with them correct?
      I think we should beat them 3x, but in order to get an at-large, can we afford two losses reg season and a loss in the SLT against the Yotes?

I said we have to "at least" split with them, unlike last year ,if you go back and re-read what I said, actually it wasn't a prediction , it was a question, kind of a query really.I hope I didn't come across as being sarcastic. To further put it in context, we were discussing the possibility of the Summit getting two bids this season to the NCAA Tournament. So, no, it wasn't sarcasm. More like asserting how it might not look good to the selection committee to not win a game against the Yotes, if we want to get an at-large, assuming we don't win the SLT (and I'm not...LOL). Hope that answers your question.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-15-2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

-Omaha played Montana St and lost 59-56. Jackrabbits will be in Bozeman Tuesday.

ORU went back to play Houston Baptist in the Southland. Golden Eagles win 74-56.

WBB Bison joined their men's team with a win over a MVC team. They hang 51 points on Valpo to win 51-48.

PFW pounds an NAIA school.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          I sure hope this is the year, both us and USD have been fighting hard to make it happen.Might still have to at least split with them reg season?
          I'd bet that if each team wins all its other games, losing 3 to the other Dakota squad might be survivable. USD would only have 4 losses in that scenario, and none too damaging. We would have 7, but only one would likely be much of a blemish (Buffalo - who is currently 6-2). Last year we went into the tournament with 6 losses.

Anything can happen, but I like our chances against USD. So far this season we have had 3 common opponents (Creighton, Drake and GB). Our score vs. those 3 was 231-166 (+65). USD's was 196-190. Granted, we had them all at home, but that is a pretty wide gap. We just need to avoid getting careless against a decent team like Wyoming or Denver along the way.

Comment

I'd bet that if each team wins all its other games, losing 3 to the other Dakota squad might be survivable. USD would only have 4 losses in that scenario, and none too damaging. We would have 7, but only one would likely be much of a blemish (Buffalo - who is currently 6-2). Last year we went into the tournament with 6 losses.

Anything can happen, but I like our chances against USD. So far this season we have had 3 common opponents (Creighton, Drake and GB). Our score vs. those 3 was 231-166 (+65). USD's was 196-190. Granted, we had them all at home, but that is a pretty wide gap. We just need to avoid getting careless against a decent team like Wyoming or Denver along the way.
            Agree
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-17-2018, 05:59 PM. Reason: agree bold, 7 losses, ???,...doubt we make it

Comment

SDSU's RPI is currently 30, USD's is 15.

The way I see it, if SDSU runs the table, and USD's only losses are to SDSU, USD will probably get an at-large. If USD runs the table, SDSU will have to win the SL tournament to get into the NCAA tournament. A 30 RPI is in the danger zone, and both teams' RPIs will plummet when they get into Summit League play. The only games they'll play that will positively affect their RPIs is against each other. Denver is at 100, so losing on the road to them won't kill your RPI. ORU is at 148 and it gets worse from there.

Basically, SDSU needs to win out to ensure an NCAA bid. I suspect that USD can afford to lose, but only to SDSU, and probably only in Brookings and/or at the SLT. I don't think SDSU has that luxury given where the RPIs and team W-L records are.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                SDSU's RPI is currently 30, USD's is 15.

The way I see it, if SDSU runs the table, and USD's only losses are to SDSU, USD will probably get an at-large. If USD runs the table, SDSU will have to win the SL tournament to get into the NCAA tournament. A 30 RPI is in the danger zone, and both teams' RPIs will plummet when they get into Summit League play. The only games they'll play that will positively affect their RPIs is against each other. Denver is at 100, so losing on the road to them won't kill your RPI. ORU is at 148 and it gets worse from there.

Basically, SDSU needs to win out to ensure an NCAA bid. I suspect that USD can afford to lose, but only to SDSU, and probably only in Brookings and/or at the SLT. I don't think SDSU has that luxury given where the RPIs and team W-L records are.
                I don't agree. The committee looks at much more than RPI.

As long as we don't completely screw the pooch during the Summit regular season and by that I mean losing multiple games to teams not named USD we are in the tourney. We entered Summit league play (last year) with 4 losses which will match this year assuming we win out. We lost twice to USD and still got a 9 seed. That tells me we were in the tourney regardless of what happened in the SLT finals last year because I don't see a win of USD in the finals last year catapulting us that far on the seed lines.

We've played an incredibly tough schedule and with the exception of Marquette we've been really really good. We took two top ten teams to the wire and beat a ranked Drake team.

Comment

AJ talking about the end of the OOC schedule and the games this past week. Also there is some recognition of the seniors Madison and Macy.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMLUIEiqBWc
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Denver(7-5) host preseason Southern Conference 7th place team Samford(4-8) It results in 87-83 overtime loss. It was a good crowd of 1805.

Coyotes(11-1) handle preseason SWAC preseason favorite Grambling(1-8) in Puerto Rico 67-53.

In Florida, the Bison(3-8) shoot 36%, turn the ball over 21 times, and lose the rebound tally 38-18 losing to San Francisco(4-6) 75-42.

PFW could not do what the Bison and Fighting Hawks accomplished which is beat Valpo. Valpo 68 PFW 64 at Ft Wayne

Comment

North Dakota 62 Western Michigan 50
                      USD 67 LMU 40
                      UTEP 84 WIU 72

Comment

The final games of the OOC for the Summit women are in the books. USD must have tired on their trip to Puerto Rico as they pick up the 2nd loss. Omaha, Denver, and ORU appear to have no answers in their last game. WIU gets another D1 win. Bison need to schedule more NAIA games. Fighting Hawks preserve a 2OT game.
                        Dec. 21 North Dakota State 59 Stetson 60 Final
                        DeLand. Fla. (ESPN+)
                        Dec. 21 North Dakota 100 San Francisco 97 Final - 2OT
                        @ DeLand, Fla (Edmunds Center)
                        Dec. 21 Denver 79 Colorado St. 84 Final
                        Dec. 21 South Dakota 60 Indiana 68 Final
                        Puerto Rico Classic @ Guaynabo, PR (Mario Morales Coliseum)
                        Dec. 21 Furman 78 Western Illinois 85 Final
                        Holiday Hoops Classic @ Yes
                        Dec. 21 Omaha 50 Northern Iowa 79 Final
                        Dec. 21 Oral Roberts 69 Oklahoma St. 89 Final
                        Standings http://www.thesummitleague.org/sport...8-19/standings

Comment

OOC records for the Summit WBB is better than the men. Overall, the WBB teams played respectful schedules as the women teams are able to get P5 teams.

USD 12-2
                          SDSU 8-5
                          Denver 7-6
                          ORU 7-6
                          Omaha 5-7
                          UND 5-8
                          PFW 4-8
                          WIU 4-9
                          NDSU 3-9

Yotes and Jackrabbits could be 1 and 2 quite easily at this point. Pioneers could challenge as they have been close in many of their losses. The Golden Eagles have not been as close in some of their losses and 2 big wins were against lower division. Mavs could pull a couple of big home wins. Leathernecks and Bizunettes could be the bottom. Gravina as a coach will keep the Leathernecks ahead of Walseth in the end. USD/SDSU appears to be the SLT matchup with an outside chance of Turgeon's Pioneers pulling an upset in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Ft Wayne and NDSU will be bottom. Three of Ft Wayne’s four wins came against lower NAIA division schools. They are just as bad as NDSU.

Comment

Working...
                            X