Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs GCU Lopes in Frost Arena

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Like Kemo said... if he's still with the program and contributes as a practice player, he's earning his scholarship. Considering he was sitting with Carter last night, that could be the case.

The interesting thing is the assumption is that he will grad transfer after this year, but it's only an assumption at this point... what if he decides to play out his final year at SDSU next year? He could have seen the writing on the wall for this year, especially if Otz decided that a 4 guard lineup just wasn't going to work, and he would have been a bench player. With King and Flatten gone next year, Key could be a starter. Maybe not though, depending on the development of O. King, Ariens, Dillon, and Carter.
    Maybe all parties involved decided that he could be more important next year and that allowed him to sit this year to focus on whatever is going on in his life. I think that we forget just how much time basketball players give up. There is a lot more travel and missed class time than other sports.

I like Key. The limited times that I have had a chance to talk to him you can tell that he has a good head on his shoulders. He will be successful in whatever he chooses to do. And if we only got to see him for one year, it was an entertaining one.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Is Key thinking about the other Seniors on this team or just himself?

Comment

Like Kemo said... if he's still with the program and contributes as a practice player, he's earning his scholarship. Considering he was sitting with Carter last night, that could be the case.

The interesting thing is the assumption is that he will grad transfer after this year, but it's only an assumption at this point... what if he decides to play out his final year at SDSU next year? He could have seen the writing on the wall for this year, especially if Otz decided that a 4 guard lineup just wasn't going to work, and he would have been a bench player. With King and Flatten gone next year, Key could be a starter. Maybe not though, depending on the development of O. King, Ariens, Dillon, and Carter.
        And Mims. And Grill and Scheierman may be too good to sit.

Comment

Will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the semester.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Geez what a dumb question.

Comment

Are you thinking about a young student athlete who is free to make decisions based on what he thinks is best for himself or just yourself? Don't be that fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Geez what a dumb question.
                You want to look at dumb go look at your posts on this topic. For Key to decide this just as the season starts he doesn't want to play when the team was counting on him is very self centered. If the coaches had known earlier they could have gone out and found another experienced replacement.

Comment

Are you thinking about a young student athlete who is free to make decisions based on what he thinks is best for himself or just yourself? Don't be that fan.
                  Doesn't effect me one bit. I actually think they are better with King at the Point. I'm sure the players are none to happy.

Comment

You want to look at dumb go look at your posts on this topic. For Key to decide this just as the season starts he doesn't want to play when the team was counting on him is very self centered. If the coaches had known earlier they could have gone out and found another experienced replacement.

Fwiw, maybe Key thought he would be a starter going into this season and didn't know until recently that he wasn't going to be.

Comment

Fwiw, maybe Key thought he would be a starter going into this season and didn't know until recently that he wasn't going to be.
                      So because your not going to be the starter you go sit in the corner and pout?

Comment

So because your not going to be the starter you go sit in the corner and pout?
                        Hey man... these kids only get 4 years to play collegiate basketball. Who are we to judge if he doesn't want to spend his last year on the bench most of the time? Not saying that's why he's doing what he's doing. If it is, this is becoming more and more popular in both basketball and football. It is what it is. Maybe he's got his eyes set on playing overseas and wants to take another year to develop, then put together a really good final year, whether that be at SDSU or somewhere else.

Comment

Didn't Zimmer mention in one of his posts that key was expected to start. I think the timing is key here. Pardon the play on words. If this comes out in August no big deal. The week the season starts? Or they just waited to make it public now. But I would guess more to then what we know. It just doesn't add up in my book. Unless he is just getting a free year of college so he doesn't have to pay next year as a transfer. But i still dont see how you would pass up being the starting point guard on a Mike daum led team with legit talent all around. If he was a jr and on the bench. I get it. A senior who would start or be 6th man at worst i just dont see it. Unless its 100% school related and then if so good for him.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Didn't Zimmer mention in one of his posts that key was expected to start. I think the timing is key here. Pardon the play on words. If this comes out in August no big deal. The week the season starts? Or they just waited to make it public now. But I would guess more to then what we know. It just doesn't add up in my book. Unless he is just getting a free year of college so he doesn't have to pay next year as a transfer. But i still dont see how you would pass up being the starting point guard on a Mike daum led team with legit talent all around. If he was a jr and on the bench. I get it. A senior who would start or be 6th man at worst i just dont see it. Unless its 100% school related and then if so good for him.
                            After watching last night I'm guessing there was a change at some point from the planned 4 guard lineup with Flatten playing the 4 to what we saw last night. Key would have been the odd man out.

Comment

If complimenting a student athlete for having a 3.0 GPA is dumb, what can I say.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                After watching last night I'm guessing there was a change at some point from the planned 4 guard lineup with Flatten playing the 4 to what we saw last night. Key would have been the odd man out.
                                I would guess that's more a circumstance of playing a bigger team. Most games we can probably adjust a 4 guard rotation. At worst he backs up king. Sort of reminds me of Chris Howell in a way. Didn't live up to expectations but we dont win the summit tourney with out howell 2 years ago and then last year doesn't play. Same with key we dont win it with out last year and this year expecting him to be a major contributer and isn't even going to play. Howells was injuries if I recall so that aspect is different.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X