GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs GCU Lopes in Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs GCU Lopes in Frost Arena

It's been said that Brandon Key's decision was a personal matter. Could it simply be that by red-shirting this year and then grad transferring he gets another year of scholarship money to pay for his education?

I'm not completely familiar with how scholarships work, but if he plays this as his senior season and uses up eligibility he would have to pay for grad school himself right?

Maybe it's not a playing time/basketball decisions, maybe it's a "rest of my life" decision.

Purely conjecture on my point, just a thought I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      It's been said that Brandon Key's decision was a personal matter. Could it simply be that by red-shirting this year and then grad transferring he gets another year of scholarship money to pay for his education?

I'm not completely familiar with how scholarships work, but if he plays this as his senior season and uses up eligibility he would have to pay for grad school himself right?

Maybe it's not a playing time/basketball decisions, maybe it's a "rest of my life" decision.

A good thought.

Comment

It’s a good thought but I heard he was mad he lost his starting position and that’s why he wants to leave.

Comment

Could be an explanation.

Comment

If that's the case why would SDSU pay another year of his education so he can simply transfer to another school next year?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              If that's the case why would SDSU pay another year of his education so he can simply transfer to another school next year?
              That's the part I'm having a hard time wth?

Comment

Because it would look $hitty on SDSU's part not to pay for his education and would have a negative effect on potential future recruits *shrugs shoulders*

Comment

If he is redshirting, that would likely mean he'll be participating in practice, and therefore earning his scholarship. A good practice player, particularly one as good on defense as Brandon, can do wonders for the quality of the in-game product of a basketball team.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
                    Because it would look $hitty on SDSU's part not to pay for his education and would have a negative effect on potential future recruits *shrugs shoulders*
                    So SDSU get's one year of playing time from him and he get's two years of free education. Wow, that seems fair?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                      If he is redshirting, that would likely mean he'll be participating in practice, and therefore earning his scholarship. A good practice player, particularly one as good on defense as Brandon, can do wonders for the quality of the in-game product of a basketball team.
                      If the coaching staff knows he is redshirting with the intent of transferring, I'm not sure he practices. If I remember correctly, Key was not in the pictures of the team when they practiced in the new facility for the first time.

Comment

So SDSU get's one year of playing time from him and he get's two years of free education. Wow, that seems fair?
                        Like Kemo said... if he's still with the program and contributes as a practice player, he's earning his scholarship. Considering he was sitting with Carter last night, that could be the case.

The interesting thing is the assumption is that he will grad transfer after this year, but it's only an assumption at this point... what if he decides to play out his final year at SDSU next year? He could have seen the writing on the wall for this year, especially if Otz decided that a 4 guard lineup just wasn't going to work, and he would have been a bench player. With King and Flatten gone next year, Key could be a starter. Maybe not though, depending on the development of O. King, Ariens, Dillon, and Carter.

Comment

We have had plenty of student-athletes across all programs that have spent two years on campus (1 redshirt/1 full participation) and then transfer out. Just because the order is different doesn't mean it's unfair if he is in good standing with both the team and university (no discipline/academic concerns).

Maybe the personal issue Brandon is dealing with is extremely unfair to him?

Maybe pulling his scholarship would be extremely unfair considering his circumstance?

Maybe it's extremely unfair to pass judgement on a matter one knows little to nothing about?
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            Like Kemo said... if he's still with the program and contributes as a practice player, he's earning his scholarship. Considering he was sitting with Carter last night, that could be the case.

The interesting thing is the assumption is that he will grad transfer after this year, but it's only an assumption at this point... what if he decides to play out his final year at SDSU next year? He could have seen the writing on the wall for this year, especially if Otz decided that a 4 guard lineup just wasn't going to work, and he would have been a bench player. With King and Flatten gone next year, Key could be a starter. Maybe not though, depending on the development of O. King, Ariens, Dillon, and Carter.
                            Speaking of Carter....Where is he?

Comment

Has anyone counted the scholarships for 2019-20? Is there an extra spot open for a 5th year senior? At this point in time, it would seem likely that the team will move forward(eg GCU game). The speculation surrounding this situation is still infringing on Key's personal matter. I hope he gets it resolved for his own sake. The young man has made a decision. 2018-19 basketball is my interest and he has removed himself from this season.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                                We have had plenty of student-athletes across all programs that have spent two years on campus (1 redshirt/1 full participation) and then transfer out. Just because the order is different doesn't mean it's unfair if he is in good standing with both the team and university (no discipline/academic concerns).

Maybe the personal issue Brandon is dealing with is extremely unfair to him?

Maybe pulling his scholarship would be extremely unfair considering his circumstance?

Maybe it's extremely unfair to pass judgement on a matter one knows little to nothing about?
                                Amen, having a 3.0 GPA is very impressive. That tells me a great deal about his character if he gets a free-bee good for him. Who says we have to pay for everything?

Comment

Working...
                                X