GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs GCU Lopes in Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs GCU Lopes in Frost Arena

I’m just really glad there’s another game tomorrow to move us on down the road. It would be helpful if Owen King can get some major playing time in some of these easier OOC games. He’s suddenly a very important part of the team.

Alabama St tomorrow night at 7:00.

Comment

Coach Majerle was asked about the atmosphere and stated his team plays in front of 7500 for home game and its standing room only. There get pretty amped for the games if this video is an indication of there game day atmosphere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zrIUMk-nM.
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
        Coach Majerle was asked about the atmosphere and stated his team plays in front of 7500 for home game and its standing room only. There get pretty amped for the games if this video is an indication of there game day atmosphere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zrIUMk-nM.
        Yes, Coach Lee, new USD coach and former GCU assistant, has been asked about GCU home game atmosphere and says it is wild. Admin at GCU wants to create an atmosphere for the students.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
          They do have a great atmosphere but I'm not sure very many of them even know there is a basketball game going on. Regardless it is a party.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Yes, Coach Lee, new USD coach and former GCU assistant, has been asked about GCU home game atmosphere and says it is wild. Admin at GCU wants to create an atmosphere for the students.
            Did he ever comment on the implications of the campus being alcohol-free (pg. 137) in seeking to create such an atmosphere?

Comment

That link doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                Did he ever comment on the implications of the campus being alcohol-free (pg. 137) in seeking to create such an atmosphere?
                Pg. 156 of this.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  Are you seriously dragging you're battle with alcohol at football games into the Grand Canyon GDT? You need a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                    They do have a great atmosphere but I'm not sure very many of them even know there is a basketball game going on. Regardless it is a party.
                    Yep...they can....clap...and jump...with the best of them? I guess I'm older than I thought.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Are you seriously dragging you're battle with alcohol at football games into the Grand Canyon GDT? You need a hobby.
                      Tickets prices and attendance are more of burning issue. GCU was I believe once religious affiliated and twenty years ago I attended a bb game at Grand Canyon. They were playing Cal-Bakersfield. Very bland facility and bb team. In twenty years a great deal can change. Is not GCU a big promoter of online courses? Where did they get the funds to build the new facility and pay Marjele who probably does not work cheap! This could be the model for Augustana to study.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Tickets prices and attendance are more of burning issue. GCU was I believe once religious affiliated and twenty years ago I attended a bb game at Grand Canyon. They were playing Cal-Bakersfield. Very bland facility and bb team. In twenty years a great deal can change. Is not GCU a big promoter of online courses? Where did they get the funds to build the new facility and pay Marjele who probably does not work cheap! This could be the model for Augustana to study.
                        Until recently Grand Canyon University was a "for-profit" school. They generated a ton of money with their online degree mill.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          A "battle" anyone who wants to drink has won, as I've conceded it's likely to occur. The reason I asked is that if they generate that much excitement without alcohol, maybe there's some strategies SDSU could employ.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            Until recently Grand Canyon University was a "for-profit" school. They generated a ton of money with their online degree mill.
                            Wikepedia has a very interesting discussion of their history and background. Here it is:

Grand Canyon was established by the Arizona Southern Baptist Convention on August 1, 1949, in Prescott, Arizona as Grand Canyon College.[5] In 1951, the college moved to its current location in West Phoenix. In 1984, the college's trustees voted to transition the college to a university for the 40th anniversary of the school in 1989, at which time it also changed governance from the Southern Baptist Convention to the GCU Board of Trustees.[6] In 2000, the university ended its affiliation with the Southern Baptist Convention.[7] Suffering financial and other difficulties in the early part of the 21st century, the school's trustees authorized its sale in January 2004 to California-based Significant Education, LLC,[8] making it the first for-profit Christian college in the United States.[9] Following that purchase, the university became the first, and only, for-profit to participate in NCAA Division I athletics.[10] In fall 2014 the school announced the exploration of a return to non-profit status.[11] In 2018, the university received approval from its accreditors to return to non-profit status, which became official on July 1, 2018.[12]
                            The university offers various programs through its nine colleges including doctoral studies, business, education, fine arts and production, humanities and social sciences, nursing and health care professions, science, theology, engineering and technology.[13]

Why do they say they are a Christian Universiity when they cut their ties with the Southern Baptist Convention? Who is Significant Education? I don't doubt what you say about online courses paying the bills with 55,000 on line students. If you try to find the principals, who own Significant Education, they are not easily disclosed. After ending the Southern Baptist Affiliation, there now plans to build a seminary! What?
                            I am going to amend my post since I did notice that GCU has a College of Theology and possibly has trained a number of clergy for the Southern Baptist church in the past and the demand for this type of education apparently represents a need to be filled. Just pure speculation on my part. A very interesting university and their bean counters(accountants) no doubt earn their pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Wikepedia has a very interesting discussion of their history and background. Here it is:

Grand Canyon was established by the Arizona Southern Baptist Convention on August 1, 1949, in Prescott, Arizona as Grand Canyon College.[5] In 1951, the college moved to its current location in West Phoenix. In 1984, the college's trustees voted to transition the college to a university for the 40th anniversary of the school in 1989, at which time it also changed governance from the Southern Baptist Convention to the GCU Board of Trustees.[6] In 2000, the university ended its affiliation with the Southern Baptist Convention.[7] Suffering financial and other difficulties in the early part of the 21st century, the school's trustees authorized its sale in January 2004 to California-based Significant Education, LLC,[8] making it the first for-profit Christian college in the United States.[9] Following that purchase, the university became the first, and only, for-profit to participate in NCAA Division I athletics.[10] In fall 2014 the school announced the exploration of a return to non-profit status.[11] In 2018, the university received approval from its accreditors to return to non-profit status, which became official on July 1, 2018.[12]
                              The university offers various programs through its nine colleges including doctoral studies, business, education, fine arts and production, humanities and social sciences, nursing and health care professions, science, theology, engineering and technology.[13]

Why do they say they are a Christian Universiity when they cut their ties with the Southern Baptist Convention? Who is Significant Education? I don't doubt what you say about online courses paying the bills with 55,000 on line students. If you try to find the principals, who own Significant Education, they are not easily disclosed. After ending the Southern Baptist Affiliation, there now plans to build a seminary! What?
                              I am going to amend my post since I did notice that GCU has a College of Theology and possibly has trained a number of clergy for the Southern Baptist church in the past and the demand for this type of education apparently represents a need to be filled. Just pure speculation on my part. A very interesting university and their bean counters(accountants) no doubt earn their pay.
                              I’ve attended several events at the GCU arena. It is a beautiful facility for basketball. Not a bad seat anywhere. As noted, GCU has rebooted a few times, but it appears to be on a strong footing. The campus is beautiful and growing with 20,000 on campus enrollment. I have several of my former athletes who are enrolled there and a Christian centered education was definitely a motivation for them to enroll there. As an aside I’m really hoping the Jacks will play GCU down here next year!

Comment

I am pretty sure there will be a return game. Seems like that is part of deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X