Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs GCU Lopes in Frost Arena

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
    This is what I had heard was happening. Also heard the reason he is redshirting is to grad transfer at the end of the year.
    There has to be more to the story. He would have been the starting point guard on a team that should win the conference and maybe make a run in the NCAA tourney. Why would he walk away from that to try his last year somewhere else? Where would he find a better situation. Unless big 10 or big 12 would want him. But I doubt that would be the case. Interesting for sure.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      There has to be more to the story. He would have been the starting point guard on a team that should win the conference and maybe make a run in the NCAA tourney. Why would he walk away from that to try his last year somewhere else? Where would he find a better situation. Unless big 10 or big 12 would want him. But I doubt that would be the case. Interesting for sure.
      Interesting...and puzzling to me. Good luck to him.
      Quoting Hoosiers: “My team is on the floor.”

Comment

I had him pegged as anything but a scholar. How wrong I am. He has a 3.0 plus GPA, and apparently is trying to raise that some more. Much to the disappointment of fans, grades apparently mean a great deal to him, enough to take a year off from BB. Yes it is interesting.

Comment

We don't know that he would have started. He did in Canada, but maybe Dentlinger and Dillon progressed enough to go with a more conventional lineup. I'm guessing Otz realized that starting three guards that small was going to result in matchup problems - could you imagine taking Dentlinger out and putting Key in against that long Grand Canyon team last night ? And he probably would have been splitting the backup PG minutes with Owen King - they aren't going to burn his redshirt to have him sit. He may have seen the handwriting on the wall and decided he wanted more playing time in his final year. I kind of doubt that will be in a program equal to or at a higher level than SDSU, but maybe he will prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            We don't know that he would have started. He did in Canada, but maybe Dentlinger and Dillon progressed enough to go with a more conventional lineup. I'm guessing Otz realized that starting three guards that small was going to result in matchup problems - could you imagine taking Dentlinger out and putting Key in against that long Grand Canyon team last night ? And he probably would have been splitting the backup PG minutes with Owen King - they aren't going to burn his redshirt to have him sit. He may have seen the handwriting on the wall and decided he wanted more playing time in his final year. I kind of doubt that will be in a program equal to or at a higher level than SDSU, but maybe he will prove me wrong.
            I don't think its unrealistic to see Key playing next year. He might have an eye on a graduate program at SDSU. It is hard to tell what is going in the world of Brandon Key. A very impressive win last night. Dan Majerle was very complimentary of our program.

Comment

All I know is that the surprise performance by Dentlinger has offset my disappointment in the Key situation. They barely even let him on the court in Canada and then he comes out and does that against one of the better teams we’ll see all year. It looked to me like he was already (at least) playing at the level Theisen left off at last year. Hopefully that will continue and eliminate one of everyone’s big concerns about this team.

Comment

We will certainly miss his speed. At the beginning of last season he made me nervous anytime he touched the ball. By the end of the season he seemed to have figured out the staying in control thing. He was fun to watch for sure. Hopefully his decision works out the way that he is hoping.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Couldn't agree more on Key. He will be missed. Remember he was one of the players who guarded Matt Mooney in the SL Championship Game last season. His quickness frustrated him. Not only could he get places on the floor with the ball he was a good defender. Nothing but the best to him on his pursuit of his degree.

Now to the game. Fun, entertaining opening night. Both teams showed signs that it was the opener. Mr. Jenkins IS NOT afraid of the big moment. I love the swagger he brings our team. It should be a fun season. As Coach Otz said in the postgame bring a friend next time.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

If you watched Dentlinger play last night I'd be hard pressed to believe this wasn't the lineup TJ had planned on starting prior to any decision by Brandon Key. Key was fine in games where he played within his role but that wasn't always the case. A 5'7 guy who can't - or shouldn't - shoot 3's is a liability is multiple areas really negating his strengths. I will agree would have been nice to have him around when needing to break a press or provide some minutes off the bench.

Dentlinger brings a whole new element to this team which we've definitely been missing these last few years. A big body who is consistently around the basket available for an easy bucket, put back, or offensive rebound. I don't think this has been mentioned but Dentlinger guarded the pre-season WAC player of the year!! Lever was held to 9 points and was a complete non-factor. I was incredibly surprised with Dentlinger's ability to guard on the perimeter as well with Lever a good 3 point shooter. If Key is starting we've got mismatches all over the floor. Flatten on a big like Lever? Key on one of their long guard? Yikes. Also allows Daum to take the easier matchup on D and expend less energy on that end. If we want to have a chance against the big boys Dentlinger is exactly what we needed.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                      If you watched Dentlinger play last night I'd be hard pressed to believe this wasn't the lineup TJ had planned on starting prior to any decision by Brandon Key. Key was fine in games where he played within his role but that wasn't always the case. A 5'7 guy who can't - or shouldn't - shoot 3's is a liability is multiple areas really negating his strengths. I will agree would have been nice to have him around when needing to break a press or provide some minutes off the bench.

Dentlinger brings a whole new element to this team which we've definitely been missing these last few years. A big body who is consistently around the basket available for an easy bucket, put back, or offensive rebound. I don't think this has been mentioned but Dentlinger guarded the pre-season WAC player of the year!! Lever was held to 9 points and was a complete non-factor. I was incredibly surprised with Dentlinger's ability to guard on the perimeter as well with Lever a good 3 point shooter. If Key is starting we've got mismatches all over the floor. Flatten on a big like Lever? Key on one of their long guard? Yikes. Also allows Daum to take the easier matchup on D and expend less energy on that end. If we want to have a chance against the big boys Dentlinger is exactly what we needed.
                      Good post here. Dentlinger was great last night.

As for the other RS freshman and O. King they kind of looked like deer in the headlights, especially Arians. He just looked like he was trying to go way to fast. However, by mid-season I think these guys will all be assets.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Good post here. Dentlinger was great last night.

As for the other RS freshman and O. King they kind of looked like deer in the headlights, especially Arians. He just looked like he was trying to go way to fast. However, by mid-season I think these guys will all be assets.
                        I think that it is "easier" for a big to hit the ground running than it is for a guard or wing player. Once the other guys get used to the speed of the game they should catch up fairly quickly. If Dentlinger can put in this kind of game all season, we will be better than I even expected. He and Daum seemed to play really well together.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

The young guys will gain valuable experience in the coming weeks against some not as talented teams. When they get up to speed it is scary to think how good this team could be.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post

The impressive part of Dentlinger's defensive effort against Lever was that he competed hard for 36 minutes against a really good player and only had 3 fouls. That hasn't been the case for some of the bigs we've put out there in recent times.

Comment

One thing I thought was who will be an x factor like Reed was. Well detlinger was solid for sure. There were. Few moments his hustle and going for rebounds and I was like he looked just like Reed out there crashing the boards. He fit his role in his first game perfectly.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                                Really solid win tonight. That was a good team we played. Jenkins was outstanding. Daum was Daum, but he also played the best defense I've ever seen him play. Thought Dentlinger outplayed Dillon in the exhibition game and obviously the coaches felt the same way, so he got the PT tonight and looked good. Dillon also looked good in limited minutes. Good to see Flatten try to dunk on someone, wish he'd assert himself like that more often. TKing was typically solid. OKing and Arians got a few minutes, looked a little shaky but didn't do anything dumb. Helped some guys get a breather.

FT shooting pretty rough except Jenkins to ice it at the end. Also had a tough time with the press at the end. Would be nice to have a quick little guard that could get open, but that's not in the works this year. We will win without him. Good start to the season. Could be a big win come seeding time.
                                I pretty much agree with all of this.

Daum really played improved on the defensive side.
                                Dentlinger really impressed in 1st game action... he's a solid player. Didn't look lost or out of place at all, and that was against some pretty solid posts on the other side.
                                I love the little things TK brings to the team. That's a guy who just brings what is needed.
                                Jenkins does not lack for confidence. At all.
                                I think Owen King and Ariens will definitely have better games...but this was also a tough game for them just matchup wise, with the size Grand Canyon had out there. I think they'll adjust better guarding people a little closer to their own size. They'll be fine.
                                Allou Dillon... he looked perfectly fine out there. I anticipate there being games where he plays well. He just didn't get much for minutes last night.

One thing to remember with TJ, in both seasons so far... he's not afraid to tinker with the lineup. He'll start a guy one game and then start someone else the next game. Just because we mostly played those 5 last night, does that mean that's what's going to happen all season. (although it could)

One last note on Brandon Key. I don't know him, but I've met the young man a few times. He's a very nice kid, and always had a smile. My son went to BB camp last summer and he told me Brandon was one of the nicest ones... and that's saying something because he loves all the players and is always talking about how nice and funny they are. So, I just want to wish him well. Brandon if you decide to come back, or you decide to Grad Transfer somewhere else, I wish you nothing but the best. And yes, I will miss watching him on the court, he was an outstanding perimeter defender.

Comment

Working...
                                X